Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Default 1990 Roadtrek wiring diagram

Greetings all,

I've recently acquired a 1990 Chevy RT Versatile (19.5' so not sure if that makes it a 190 or 200). While the Chevy G30 van owners manual was included there is no owners manual for the RT installed equipment. If anyone could point me in the direction to find any of the following I'd really appreciate it.

RT equipment wiring / plumbing diagrams and operation instructions for propane stove / furnace.

Thanks,
Ken
Sails941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sails941 View Post
Greetings all,

I've recently acquired a 1990 Chevy RT Versatile (19.5' so not sure if that makes it a 190 or 200). While the Chevy G30 van owners manual was included there is no owners manual for the RT installed equipment. If anyone could point me in the direction to find any of the following I'd really appreciate it.

RT equipment wiring / plumbing diagrams and operation instructions for propane stove / furnace.

Thanks,
Ken
If it has the original factory van body from GM (metal), it is a 190.

If the rear section of the body is wider, and it is made out of fibreglass,
it is a 200.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Check out Roadtrek.com, in the Support Section they have a Tab for Manuals - it has the 1990 listed. Also, if you have the barn doors in the rear, it is a 190. Ron
Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #4

Default Model year

Thanks for the responses.

Yes it does have the barn doors, so that's great it's a 190. In CA where I'll be using it most there are I believe some legal parking issues which don't apply to vehicles 19' or less.

And thanks for the owners manual link too! I'd seen the Brochure there before but didn't know they had the manuals as well.

One other quirky detail... I bought this van in Seattle and the WA title lists it as a 1991, but the VIN (same on van and title of coarse) clearly specifies it as a 1990. Decals under the hood also list it as conforming to 1990 model year. Have you found that RT would obtain a model year and then introduce it as the year they had actually completed their conversions? Next month I'll request a new title, and I'm hoping the old "1991" title doesn't cause an issue.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-23-2017, 05:34 AM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sails941 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

One other quirky detail... I bought this van in Seattle and the WA title lists it as a 1991, but the VIN (same on van and title of coarse) clearly specifies it as a 1990. Decals under the hood also list it as conforming to 1990 model year. Have you found that RT would obtain a model year and then introduce it as the year they had actually completed their conversions? Next month I'll request a new title, and I'm hoping the old "1991" title doesn't cause an issue.

Thanks,
Ken
That's a standard practice by all the RV manufacturers.

There should be a sticker on the RV showing it's manufacture date.
DMV will go by the RV date, not the chassis date.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We recently purchased an RV in AZ and registered in CA. We had to have it inspected at the DMV and the inspector registered it under the chassis and chassis date. Thus it is registered as a 2017 Transit - not a 2018 Crossfit. Don't know how FL will treat yours.

Note that because it is fit for human habitation, the CA DMV registers it as an automobile - not as a commercial vehicle.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
We recently purchased an RV in AZ and registered in CA. We had to have it inspected at the DMV and the inspector registered it under the chassis and chassis date. Thus it is registered as a 2017 Transit - not a 2018 Crossfit. Don't know how FL will treat yours.

Note that because it is fit for human habitation, the CA DMV registers it as an automobile - not as a commercial vehicle.

Phoebe3, that sounds like a screw-up. Did you provide the Motorhome’s MCO (available from the RV dealer or final stage manufacturer)?

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Press Releases

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

It depends on the state's registration practice.
Some states let you register it as a "car", then you might have to go by the chassis date.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Phoebe3, that sounds like a screw-up. Did you provide the Motorhome’s MCO (available from the RV dealer or final stage manufacturer)?

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Press Releases

Bud
Thanks for that link! We had several problems with our registration and it looks like it was done incorrectly according to the RVIA.

We were not provided with the MCO when we bought the van (and didn't know we needed one) so when we started to register it (remember, in CA you have something like 20 days and we had to drive it home and get a smog certificate before going to the DMV), the DMV person registered it as if it was a used vehicle that we were bringing in from out of state and gave us a temporary registration.

Then the dealer got the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) Fed-exed to us and we took it to a different DMV (we've been on the road). That guy said it had been done wrong, complained that he would have to work late and then just input the data and gave us plates.

Now that I've had time to review it, I think we paid too much tax in AZ and paid too much in registration in CA. Not sure how much effort I'm willing to go to to get it changed.

BUT the inspection form was completed independent of any of these and he knew it was an RV because he physically inspected it and made sure it wasn't a commercial vehicle. Not sure whether I care if it is a 2017 or 2018 as long as my insurance company has it correct. Am I missing something?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:59 AM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Thanks for that link! We had several problems with our registration and it looks like it was done incorrectly according to the RVIA.

We were not provided with the MCO when we bought the van (and didn't know we needed one) so when we started to register it (remember, in CA you have something like 20 days and we had to drive it home and get a smog certificate before going to the DMV), the DMV person registered it as if it was a used vehicle that we were bringing in from out of state and gave us a temporary registration.

Then the dealer got the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) Fed-exed to us and we took it to a different DMV (we've been on the road). That guy said it had been done wrong, complained that he would have to work late and then just input the data and gave us plates.

Now that I've had time to review it, I think we paid too much tax in AZ and paid too much in registration in CA. Not sure how much effort I'm willing to go to to get it changed.

BUT the inspection form was completed independent of any of these and he knew it was an RV because he physically inspected it and made sure it wasn't a commercial vehicle. Not sure whether I care if it is a 2017 or 2018 as long as my insurance company has it correct. Am I missing something?

Gosh, I don't really know.

If you decide to sell it next month vs 20 years from now in terms of resale value?

And? Other forum members will assist.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Most DMV's go by the vehicle manufactures VIN. Their VIN will give the model year. The converter dates are pretty much meaningless except to get right parts from converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #12

Thanks again for the replies and input.

The link to the RV Industry Assoc. site and explanation may prove quite helpful if I run into an issue at the DMV. I did send a request to Roadtrek for a copy of my van's Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, so we'll see where that leads. Also my insurance co. has already add the van to my policy as a 1990 instead of a 91.

This seems like a bizarre practice to me - what if the conversion company takes 2 years or more to complete? (rhetorical)

Thanks again and I'll let you know how this turns out,
Ken
Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

In Utah they go by the VIN date, so my RT Silver Anniversary Edition sold as a 2005 is a 2004.

I contacted RT 2 years ago requesting wiring and plumbing information. Never received anything.
Let us know if you are successful.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote