Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 1994 Solar Panel

One of the Solar Panels on my van was purchased in 1994.
The van is a 1997 but the guy that built it used lots of parts from a previous van. The converter/charger that I replaced last year was purchased in 1978!

The 40 watt panel "kit" from 1994 cost $759.95 according to the receipt. That is about $19 per watt! I think it included the solar charge controller because it is also from 1994 and the receipt list the panel as a "kit". The guy that built this van was an "early adopter" but he was frugal where he could be, making parts and re-using parts etc..

Currently, I can get CSA approved made in Canada mono-crystalline solar panels for $1.35 per watt pick up price. Just a fraction of what they cost 19 years ago.
I've noticed that there is just about no difference in price between mono-crystalline and poly-crystalline panels now and the performance gap between the two looks like it has narrowed to me.

A second panel, 85 watts this time, was added in 2006. I haven't come across a receipt for it yet. It all seems to work well enough so I have no plans to change anything. I am a bit curious about performance so may do some testing ...........maybe next year The van was garage kept all its life when not in use so the panels effective age is probably less than the calendar age.

The '04 Roadtrek I had came with a small solar panel useful for maintaining the batteries. The '04 Bigfoot had two large panels on a tilt up rack. I ended up making mounts that tilt up when I installed the panels on my '05 trail-Lite. I never used the tilt up mounts (on either RV) to increase performance as we tend to move around a lot. I did find that they were very nice to have to clean the roof under the panels a couple of times per year.

I guess the point of this topic is to demonstrate that this technology has been in use for a long time on RV's and, more importantly, that the parts last a long time.

I definitely recommend solar panels on RV's to at least maintain your batteries or better yet, charge your batteries to replace the amps you use each day.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1994 Solar Panel

I remember reading that someone's solar panel bought in the 1990s actually has slightly increased wattage gains over its use in 20 years. The reason this is interesting is that there are a lot of detractors of solar saying that panels cost far more in energy than they ever give back, and your mention shows that panels can last a long time.

Solar has gone from "why have it?" to "why would you want a rig without solar?" Especially with a decent MPPT controller that allows use for every watt the limited square footage on a "B" provides.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The race now also seems to get the smaller in size per watt, which is really good for B folks. How big is a 100 watt mono-crystalline that you can get for the $1.35 per watt?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Correction: it was $1.45 per watt for the mono-crystalline panel.

225 Watt Poly - $1.35 per watt
230 Watt Mono - $1.45 per watt
240 Watt Poly - $1.40 per watt

Size was quoted as 64.5 x 38.7 in - for the 230 Watt Mono in an email to me. That would overhang the rear of my van a bit but well within the van bumper etc.

These are the specifications:
http://www.canadiansolar.com/dl.php?dir ... P-M_en.pdf

I don't know if he has other sizes. Prices included tax and were pick up only in Nova Scotia. I was in NS just over a week ago and was really tempted to stop by but decided to hold off buying stuff for the van for now.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Correction: it was $1.45 per watt for the mono-crystalline panel.

225 Watt Poly - $1.35 per watt
230 Watt Mono - $1.45 per watt
240 Watt Poly - $1.40 per watt

Size was quoted as 64.5 x 38.7 in - for the 230 Watt Mono in an email to me. That would overhang the rear of my van a bit but well within the van bumper etc.

These are the specifications:
http://www.canadiansolar.com/dl.php?dir ... P-M_en.pdf

I don't know if he has other sizes. Prices included tax and were pick up only in Nova Scotia. I was in NS just over a week ago and was really tempted to stop by but decided to hold off buying stuff for the van for now.
I was curious, as the only reason we were able to put on 200 watts was the new smaller size. Grape Solar panel from AMsolar. 21X41 give 100 watts (8.6 sq-in/watt). The one you list is about 10.8 sq-in/watt, if I have done the calcs right. AMsolar also sells a larger size 100 watt that comes out at a bit over 10 sq-in/watt, that is also cheaper.

As expected, each new generation of improvements helps lower the price of the previous ones.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

That makes sense now - I didn't think of that.

Link to Booster's 200 watts solar on 07 C190P Roadtrek http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2414
Old 08-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
The race now also seems to get the smaller in size per watt, which is really good for B folks. How big is a 100 watt mono-crystalline that you can get for the $1.35 per watt?
What I wouldn't mind seeing is every solar cell having a tiny MPPT controller built in. That way, if a panel is partially shaded, obscuring one cell out of say, ten, you get 90% the wattage coming in, instead of 10% as with normal cells.

I've also read about "hybrid" cells, which combine monocrystalline elements (which are the best at full sun) with other types (which are better at shade) for a better return on average.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote