Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 18
Default 1999 Popular Generator Exhauxt Pipe

Hi!
I have recently bought a 1999 Roadtrek Popular 190.
The Onan generator needs work (surging) and trying to clean the carb with Seafoam, making progress (day 2). The generator is missing it's access door and exhaust extension/pipe (It now exhausts straight down from the generator).
I have found an access door replacement online. I have seen exhaust pipe/extensions online also, but there are several part numbers and I want to get the right one.
Does anyone know which pipe is for a 1999 Roadtrek with an Onan Microlite 2800 (K series)generator. Which direction should it point, side or to the rear (which side?)
Thanks!, Ed
__________________

RedPanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 89
Default

On my 2003C190P, the generator exhaust comes out on the drivers side, behind the rear wheel. Even though the exhaust port is closer to the passenger side, there's a battery compartment behind the rear passenger side wheel, so I wouldn't want the gen exhaust pipe getting in the way of that.
__________________

__________________
2003 Roadtrek 190 Popular
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 565
Default

The generator exhausts on the driver's side because people tend to sit on the door side.

Cummins/Onan is one of the few sources of the rare 1 1/4" pipe. Pick one, order the exhaust hanger, and see if you can make it work.

I think it is stainless steel.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 AM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 18
Default

Thanks for the response! I'll buy an Onanpipe and hanger and make it work. Drivers side makes sense.
RedPanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanEd View Post
Hi!
I have recently bought a 1999 Roadtrek Popular 190.
The Onan generator needs work (surging) and trying to clean the carb with Seafoam, making progress (day 2). The generator is missing it's access door and exhaust extension/pipe (It now exhausts straight down from the generator).
I have found an access door replacement online. I have seen exhaust pipe/extensions online also, but there are several part numbers and I want to get the right one.
Does anyone know which pipe is for a 1999 Roadtrek with an Onan Microlite 2800 (K series)generator. Which direction should it point, side or to the rear (which side?)
Thanks!, Ed
Could the surging be the mechanical governor set too sensitive and it is "hunting" rather than holding a constant speed? There are several adjustments (incl. speed and governor sensitivity).

I think these instructions are for an early 2000's Onan
:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/83...page=30#manual
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:37 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 565
Default

If you have to bend it you will find that most muffler shops do not have dies to bend 1 1/4 inch pipe. Perhaps a crude bend could be done with a torch.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Could the surging be the mechanical governor set too sensitive and it is "hunting" rather than holding a constant speed? There are several adjustments (incl. speed and governor sensitivity).

I think these instructions are for an early 2000's Onan
:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/83...page=30#manual
I tried for several days to make it run smoother with Seafoam, no luck. Bought an aftermarket carburetor from Amazon for $69.89 delivered. Took down the generator (easier than I expected), replaced old carburetor and it started right up and ran like new! Checked the voltage and frequency per the service manual with no load and with A/C running, NO adjustments needed!
Ed
RedPanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanEd View Post
I tried for several days to make it run smoother with Seafoam, no luck. Bought an aftermarket carburetor from Amazon for $69.89 delivered. Took down the generator (easier than I expected), replaced old carburetor and it started right up and ran like new! Checked the voltage and frequency per the service manual with no load and with A/C running, NO adjustments needed!
Ed
Awesome. Nice score on the new carburetor.
__________________
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile
Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member
 
rowiebowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanEd View Post
I tried for several days to make it run smoother with Seafoam, no luck. Bought an aftermarket carburetor from Amazon for $69.89 delivered. Took down the generator (easier than I expected), replaced old carburetor and it started right up and ran like new! Checked the voltage and frequency per the service manual with no load and with A/C running, NO adjustments needed!
Ed
Ed, thank's for posting your follow-up. Not everyone does when the find a solution to a problem they posted. Congrats.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 18
Default Exhaust System Complete!

I bought these parts from Amazon:
Cummins Onan 155-2845 (X) Tailpipe Kit
Cummins Onan 1552174 Exhaust Hanger
I still needed to extend the exhaust out from under the RV. 1 1/4" exhaust pipe is not readily available, so I went to Lowe's and bought this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Galvanized-...Rail/999989216
Galvanized top rail for chain link fence. One end is reduced about 3 inches from the end to allow connection to the next rail.The reduced end fits snugly into the Onan exhaust pipe and the clamp on the hanger is right at the joint. You could weld the pipes together, but with the 3 inch insertion and the snug fit I don't think it's needed. I cut the top rail pipe off so it sticks out from the drivers side about 2 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust 1.jpg (325.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust 2.jpg (346.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust 3.jpg (141.7 KB, 16 views)
__________________

RedPanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.