Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Default 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular Inverter

Hi,

Fairly new owner of a used 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular. There seems to be either a problem with my inverter, or my understanding of how it works. First let me list a couple of "facts" as I believe them to be: (please correct any all inaccuracies).

1. Several outlets in the unit operate from the inverter. Typically the one over the kitchen area, the one in the TV/electronic cabinet and the one under the rear passenger seat.

2. When not connected to external 120 volt ac power (but with engine running, driving, etc) THOSE outlets should function as normal (obviously with load limitations).

What SEEMS to be happening in my unit, is that when I'm connected to external power all outlets work, but when unplugged NONE work. Something that might shed some light (to someone who knows more than I....which doesn't take much, lol) while plugged in, in my drive way, I plugged a ceramic heater into the outlet over the kitchen counter. After a brief period of time it went out (popped a breaker on the inverter.... pretty much knew that was the cause)... while the inverter was out, I plugged into another outlet (one UNDER the entertainment cabinet in the rear drivers side). This outlet still functioning. Reset the inverter and kitchen outlet now working. Unplug from external power.... no outlets work.

Additional information. The LEDs on the inverter indicate (if I'm reading them correctly) that the batteries are between 61-80 charged and that the inverter was functioning.

My question....(at least my FIRST question) .... Is there ANYTHING (switch, breaker, fuse,????) that would allow the outlets to function while connected to external power, but not when disconnected???

Any/all help/comments/advice appreciate!!!

Musicman (Jerry)
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman
Hi,

Fairly new owner of a used 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular. There seems to be either a problem with my inverter, or my understanding of how it works. First let me list a couple of "facts" as I believe them to be: (please correct any all inaccuracies).

1. Several outlets in the unit operate from the inverter. Typically the one over the kitchen area, the one in the TV/electronic cabinet and the one under the rear passenger seat.

2. When not connected to external 120 volt ac power (but with engine running, driving, etc) THOSE outlets should function as normal (obviously with load limitations).

What SEEMS to be happening in my unit, is that when I'm connected to external power all outlets work, but when unplugged NONE work. Something that might shed some light (to someone who knows more than I....which doesn't take much, lol) while plugged in, in my drive way, I plugged a ceramic heater into the outlet over the kitchen counter. After a brief period of time it went out (popped a breaker on the inverter.... pretty much knew that was the cause)... while the inverter was out, I plugged into another outlet (one UNDER the entertainment cabinet in the rear drivers side). This outlet still functioning. Reset the inverter and kitchen outlet now working. Unplug from external power.... no outlets work.

Additional information. The LEDs on the inverter indicate (if I'm reading them correctly) that the batteries are between 61-80 charged and that the inverter was functioning.

My question....(at least my FIRST question) .... Is there ANYTHING (switch, breaker, fuse,????) that would allow the outlets to function while connected to external power, but not when disconnected???

Any/all help/comments/advice appreciate!!!

Musicman (Jerry)
According to the owners manual on the Roadtrek site for a 2004 190, you don't have an inverter. So if you do it would have been added if the literature is correct. They list only a converter, Parralex 7345A. If you have an inverter, there should be a switch somewhere to turn it on.

The limited outlets that work on the inverter (kitchen, audio, armoire) is the way the newer units with an inverter/charger installed (Tripp Lite or such), but if you don't have an inverter they won't do anything if you are not plugged in to shore power, and the van wouldn't be wired that way.

The fact that no outlets work when off shore power would mean either no inverter, or if there is one, it is off.

If you do have an inverter, yes those outlets would be hot, if the inverter was on while going down the road.

What is the brand and model of the "inverter" you are looking at when you mention the led's and breaker?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #3

I DO have an inverter... It's a Tripp-Lite 612 ( I think there are a couple of letter after the 612, but I'm reading from the tripp-lite manual and it's a generic manual...I saw the letters ON the inverter/charger) . I am truly confused with this behavior. If the inverter wasn't working, the outlets wouldn't work at all, would they? Even with external power to the RV? If it IS working why doesn't it work when NOT connected to external power?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I had the same inverter in the 2004 RT 190P we bought in 2005. That was the year they started installing them.

Thanks for posting the question on the forum. I get busy and can't keep up with emails and by posting it on the forum every gets to see the solution.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman
I DO have an inverter... It's a Tripp-Lite 612 ( I think there are a couple of letter after the 612, but I'm reading from the tripp-lite manual and it's a generic manual...I saw the letters ON the inverter/charger) . I am truly confused with this behavior. If the inverter wasn't working, the outlets wouldn't work at all, would they? Even with external power to the RV? If it IS working why doesn't it work when NOT connected to external power?
It is probably an RV612, which appears to be the predecessor of what Roadtrek is still using. Tripp Lite doesn't show a manual on their site, probably because it is discontinued, but from the description, it sounds like it works the same as the newer ones.

It has three way switch on it that should be on auto/remote if you want the inverter to work. If you have a remote switch, you have to turn it on also with the switch in the auto/remote position. It has an internal automatic transfer switch so it should put shore power to the outlets when plugged in and from the inverter when not plugged in, if you have the inverter on as above.

If it is not working that way, the unit may have failed and need to be replaced.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Musicman - I sent you the Tripp Lite RV612 owner manual by email just in case you don't have it. In the troubleshooting it mentions to reset the circuit breaker as a possible solution.

I'll add a link to the "Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger - How to make a remote switch" topic http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi....php?f=12&t=20 for other people find this topic later.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I had the same inverter in the 2004 RT 190P we bought in 2005. That was the year they started installing them.

Thanks for posting the question on the forum. I get busy and can't keep up with emails and by posting it on the forum every gets to see the solution.
Hey Marko, did your RV612 have a remote on/off like they do now?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

No remote switch in my '04 RT. That's how the "Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger - How to make a remote switch" topic came to be http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi....php?f=12&t=20
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #9

" It has an internal automatic transfer switch so it should put shore power to the outlets when plugged in and from the inverter when not plugged in, if you have the inverter on as above."

Sigh....I'm afraid you've just told me what I've been afraid of all along... I suspect the inverter has failed. Oh well, guess I'll have to hobble along with shore power until I can get it replaced. Thanks to all for the help/comments/assistance!

Musicman (Jerry)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

There's an input and output circuit breakers on the inverter that you can check. They should be push to reset type. Item 9 in the image (circled in red).

Also, is your battery charged?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg input and output circuit breakers.JPG (105.7 KB, 1011 views)
Old 01-23-2014, 02:14 AM   #11

I've checked both breakers and neither seem to be tripped. (I HAVE tripped one of them with a heater at one point, while connected to shore power, but reset it and outlet once again works on shore power, but NOT from the battery.) I don't believe it has ever worked on battery since I bought it. According to the manual, if I'm reading one set of the LED lights correctly, the battery appears to be be 6o% + charged. Haven't actually taken a volt meter to them. I keep hoping against hope I'll find SOMETHING I've overlooked that will solve the problem, but I'm beginning to believe replacement may be the only option. Right now it's 20 degrees and there's snow on the ground...not ABOUT to go out and investigate for at least a few days. Thanks for all the comments/suggestions. If anyone has any other bright ideas, please let me know!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Well four months later and I WAS doing just fine without the inverter function on my Roadtrek....I installed a small whistler inverter for minimalAC power while running and it works just fine......Now my LATEST (and more serious problem). We were at a campground in Savannah,GA the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. I had leveled the camper and connected to shore power and was waiting for the crockpot to complete our dinner....had the AC running and was enjoying an adult beverage. Suddenly the AC went off......along with all the lights (12 volt ). Still had power to the. M icrowave outlet (that's where the crockpot was plugged in) but no other power of any kind in the coach. (Well later discovered the outlet under the AV cabinet still worked, but NO 12 volt DC power and no air conditioner). I am now home in Virginia and the situation is the same. Both coach batteries are showing 12 volts but have no power to the lights. Also AC still not working. It seems as if something has broken the 12 volt power circuit to the coach. (Maybe the AC doesn't work because the thermostat is 12 volt controlled?) I've checked all the AC breakers and DC fuses and all seem good. Is there a fuse/breaker/something away from the panel under the bed/bench on the drivers side? Concealed somewhere? I can run without the inverter supplying AC power but I CAN'T camp with no AC or lights....HELP!!

.............as an afterthought would a bad battery disconnect switch/solenoid cause these symptoms?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #13
Silver Member

Hopefully you have a good surge protector like a Surge Guard, on sale at CW.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... -amp/58464
Low/high campground power can cause all kinds of problems with appliances from blowing fuses, to destroying circuit boards, motors, etc. Hope it's just a fuse or breaker.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote