Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What year manual is your excerpt from? My 2014 says the following:

The "highway driving every 500KM" is definitely standard MB advice, but it is certainly not a prohibition against long idling per se.
You don't think that (in the year of our Lord ) 2017, it's a little bizarre to be cautioned by a major engine manufacturer to avoid subjecting their engine to lots of short trips or too much idling cuz, well, it could trash the engine? Talk about emperors what ain't wearing no clothes!
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
You don't think that (in the year of our Lord ) 2017, it's a little bizarre to be cautioned by a major engine manufacturer to avoid subjecting their engine to lots of short trips or too much idling cuz, well, it could trash the engine? Talk about emperors what ain't wearing no clothes!
Certainly true. It is all due to the state of the art in diesel emissions control, which is about where petrol engines were in 1986 (remember when there were so many add-on hoses that you couldn't see the engine?). Not MB-specific, though. All the small diesel engine manufacturers are in the same boat (except VW, which of course is in a class by itself ). The DEF system is an embarrassment.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:56 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Certainly true. It is all due to the state of the art in diesel emissions control, which is about where petrol engines were in 1986 (remember when there were so many add-on hoses that you couldn't see the engine?). Not MB-specific, though. All the small diesel engine manufacturers are in the same boat (except VW, which of course is in a class by itself ). The DEF system is an embarrassment.
True, it's not specific to MB but at least with Ford, Chevy and Dodge you're not restricted to diesel propulsion.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
I think the problem with high idle was that it would increase emission, so if idled for the same amount of time, it would increase the need for regeneration. If, on the other hand, it decreased the time needed for idling, I guess that would be a trade-off and uncertain if it's better or worse overall without data.

Whether MB logs idle times was not discussed.
If high idle does tax the DPF more than standard idle, the decrease in the charging period probably would make it a wash. If Voltstart is involved, it adds an additional factor with respect to idling periods. Earlier versions of Voltstart had a threshold trigger of 12.4 Volts which produces a substantially longer period of engine free operation than the current Voltstart version which is now set for 12.8 Volts. At 12.8 volts, with an 800ah Etrek, you are unlikely to get more than an hour of roof AC operation without the engine firing up. With the 400ah battery in the Zion, it's probably less than half an hour. In either event, the threshold change will increase engine idle time. It begs the question: considering the way it currently functions, is this $1800 option worth it?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #25

Help Picking up my Coachman Galleria 2016 with less than 10000 miles
Paid 84000 plus.
Thought I am getting a deal and happy.

Im a little scared and can't find a place for golf clubs.
Should I ask the dealer for inverter? What is an inverter?
Is this a great coach to drive to the desert and turn on airconditioner for my puppies and me while I am waiting for my husband to finish 18 or 36 holes?
lovetotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #26
BBQ
Platinum Member

Congratulations.

An inverter is a gizmo that turns 12v battery DC power to 120v AC household power.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Good review of the systems.

However, at the end, I think you missed the price comparison. Galleria will trade with the typical Coachmen discount of 25-27% off MSRP while the Roadtrek (10-15%) will not, and there is no discounting on ARV. So that makes the Galleria a far more compelling choice. It's not much of a premium over traditional offerings when you factor this in.

Also, I wouldn't put Roadtrek in with "cutting edge" at all. Their system is closed because it's mostly a kludge of an engineering project. Still many reports of failures with Voltstart.

I'm very impressed with what Coachmen and especially Xantrex have put together.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Good review of the systems.

However, at the end, I think you missed the price comparison. Galleria will trade with the typical Coachmen discount of 25-27% off MSRP while the Roadtrek (10-15%) will not, and there is no discounting on ARV. So that makes the Galleria a far more compelling choice. It's not much of a premium over traditional offerings when you factor this in.

Also, I wouldn't put Roadtrek in with "cutting edge" at all. Their system is closed because it's mostly a kludge of an engineering project. Still many reports of failures with Voltstart.

I'm very impressed with what Coachmen and especially Xantrex have put together.
I agree that in terms of bang for the buck, the Galleria Li3 is a strong contender, When supply pushes past demand you could probably buy a loaded Li3 in 4x4 for around 125-130k. Not too shabby.

By "cutting edge", I was referring to the hardware itself, not component integration which indeed has been problematic. Ironically, three or four years ago at the inception of lithium batteries for RVs, Xantrex made a proposal to Roadtrek for a fully engineered system, but Roadtrek turned them down.

I don't think the reference to Voltstart "failures" is accurate because it assumes that there was some period prior to failure that it worked properly. I think it's more likely that verified reports of failure are for systems that for a number of reasons, probably never worked from the get-go. I don't know the current production QC for this module but as late as summer 2016 it was neither tested at the factory nor at the dealer. Without a simulator, a full test of Voltstart requires substantial time and, as they say, time is money.

Some coaches had the wrong module installed, e.g. an AGM version in a lithium equipped coach. Some just had a defective Voltstart module. Some had incorrect wiring between the Voltstart module and the coach autostart module.

Undoubtedly most of these issues have been resolved in current production but there is, IMO, the question of whether this feature is worth the $1800 cost. The original battery threshold voltage for triggering a lithium Voltstart was 12.4 Volts which would reflect a substantial depth of battery discharge and consequently a significant run time prior to engine startup. However, current production employs a 12.8 Volt threshold which will result in a much shorter period before Voltstart turns on the engine. It's arguable that you're better off saving the cost and just letting the engine run. I notice that while Coachmen does offer an Onan auto-start on their AGM Galleria, they opted against providing a Voltstart equivalent on the Li3.

Since the original Li3 production, there have been some changes. Xantrex has improved the BMS parasitic to negligible levels. The Xantrex Link Pro meter has been replaced with a Battery control module. The Nations alternator will be provided with splash protection.