Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
Sdd
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Md
Posts: 3
Default 2nd alternator

Iím looking at the new ford transit cargo van coming out this fall with a second alternator. I was hoping to get a self contained lithium battery system like the yeti goalzero 3000 and have it charged by the 2nd alternator. Iíve been searching everywhere for information but canít determine if it is even possible let alone how do do it. Looking for help.
__________________

Sdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 567
Default

My bet is you don't need a second alternator to charge the Yeti 3000.

It only has 120 watts of 12 volt power. The battery itself is only 10.95 volts, I think.

There are better, cheaper, solutions. Just an opinion.
__________________

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
There are better, cheaper, solutions.
How much is the Transit 2nd alternator option?
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 AM   #4
Sdd
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Md
Posts: 3
Default

Not sure yet, waiting for 2020 models to come out
Sdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #5
Sdd
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Md
Posts: 3
Default

Fair enough! Let’s say a 6000 watt system is available, and it has two input options - solar or standard 110 plug. Would that change your answer?
Sdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:59 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdd View Post
Fair enough! Letís say a 6000 watt system is available, and it has two input options - solar or standard 110 plug. Would that change your answer?

Are we talking 6000 watt capable as in 50amps of current in a 12v system, or are we talking about 6000watt hours of power available as in 60 watts for 100 hours?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #7
jon
Platinum Member
 
jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 256
Default

I have a 2019 transit with the 250 amp alternator and 400 amp-hrs 12v batteries. That's 4800w. The shop that converted my van only added a 40w batt to batt charger and It was taking forever to charge. I was thinking about adding a second alternator so I could run my roof AC while driving.....
Then I learned of the Sterling 120 amp batt to batt charger. The transit with the HD alternator has three 60 amp customer connection points for a total of 180 amps. I changed to a 120 amp vehicle charger (with pain-in-the-butt larger wiring) and now I can run my rear rooftop AC with the HD alternator without running my battery down.
It's as good as having a second alternator.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:00 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I have a 2019 transit with the 250 amp alternator and 400 amp-hrs 12v batteries. That's 4800w. The shop that converted my van only added a 40w batt to batt charger and It was taking forever to charge. I was thinking about adding a second alternator so I could run my roof AC while driving.....
Then I learned of the Sterling 120 amp batt to batt charger. The transit with the HD alternator has three 60 amp customer connection points for a total of 180 amps. I changed to a 120 amp vehicle charger (with pain-in-the-butt larger wiring) and now I can run my rear rooftop AC with the HD alternator without running my battery down.
It's as good as having a second alternator.

We again have mixed units here. 400ah of 12v batteries is 4800watt hours as it is stored energy. The charger units are correct at 40 watts if it is about a 3.5amp/12v charger, which seems useless as anything but a trickle charger as it is instantaneous power.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:21 AM   #9
jon
Platinum Member
 
jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We again have mixed units here. 400ah of 12v batteries is 4800watt hours as it is stored energy. The charger units are correct at 40 watts if it is about a 3.5amp/12v charger, which seems useless as anything but a trickle charger as it is instantaneous power.
OOPs, My BAD. I had a 40amp battery charger installed that I changed to 120amps.
__________________

jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2nd alternator, lithium

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.