Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 3500 miles with class B hybrid (FLA and Li)

Phoenix, Boise, Spokane, Portland, San Simeon, CA, Phoenix.

Bottom line: 100AH Li and 80AH FLA with a DC to DC charger will support a compressor cooler and furnace in freezing conditions without use of a generator.

Probably do as well with a compressor refrigerator.

Cooler run by the FLA, everything else by the Li. Cooler overnight about 20AH, furnace about the same. Li back to 100% with less than an hour of driving. FLA charged by the end of the day but if not could be charged by the Li.

Engine idle charges Li at 40 amps.

Two sessions of driveway shore power used .3-.8 amps of 120 volt power. All other camping done without shore power. Both batteries at 100% at sunset.

You can support a compressor refrigerator with the addition of 100AH of Li battery and a DC to DC charger. Generator not required.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice to know. Sounds like a great trip. best.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for the update. I think we'll see more & more DIY hybrid lithium / lead acid setups particularly on Class B's with one or two lead acid batteries.

You can use the lithium for all high current draws or whatever you choose and, as you've pointed out, charge it quickly and use it to charge the lead acid battery if needed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Congratulation, your hybrid would fit my power use pattern, so it is good to see this as an option.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Harry - what's in between the lithium and lead acid batteries when using the lithium to charge the lead acid? I'm sure you've described it all before but I can't remember.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Between the Li and FLA
Kisae DMT1230 DC to DC charger.
Between the alternater and lithium battery is the Kisae DMT50 set at 40 amps.
Very happy with both.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...stem-8526.html
Old 12-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I am very interested in how you put your system together. I will be traveling to Yuma in early January to have some lithium batteries installed INSIDE (under the permanent bed) of our 2007 Roadtrek 190 Popular. I figured I was going to use the location of the FLA batteries as storage after removal. Now you have me thinking. The idea of the hybrid system used for cold weather situations is intriguing.

If you are around the Arizona area in mid January, I would love to see how you designed and put together your system.

I want to completely upgrade our van with a Victron brand system with a new inverter/charger, solar controller, monitoring panel and other goodies. I also want the alternator to continue to charge the batteries. I gather that the factory Roadtrek alternator charge system will have to be changed because it was designed to charge FLA batteries. I don’t want my alternator to burn up charging lithiums.

Jerry
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I expect to be here. Don’t have to change the alternator, just add a Dc to dc charger set up for lithium. PM for contact info.