Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Do you know if diesel cooktops are worth the investment?
In my view, they probably are not. 1) They are permanently mounted, 2) they require external ventilation (probably ending up blowing on the patio), and 3) are slow to get up to temp and to cool back down. I saw a reference to it taking 20 minutes to boil a pot of water, for example.

But, then again, we cook for the purpose of eating something. For us, cooking is not a hobby or passion.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #102
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you know if diesel cooktops are worth the investment?
Guess it depends on what your goals are. They are very reliable and widely used and allow you to eliminate propane when combined with diesel heat and hot water. Diesel has high energy content so works great for all heating functions. You could go with more electrical capability and use induction which is also good. In the Earth Cruiser you don't need a large battery bank since they generally don't have any high power electrical devices. You can get a low power 12 volt air conditioner but most people just travel to cooler weather and avoid the need for air conditioning. Eliminating propane and having about 75 gal of diesel onboard and solar/engine alternator battery charging gives the Earth Cruiser a long range, gets about 14 mpg, and long term boondocking capability. Has cassette toilet, shower, and water purifying system so pretty easy to get water from anywhere when needed. You can even recycle grey water back through the water system if you want to.

The 4x4 Fuso chassis is extremely rugged and reliable with a reasonable dealer network in North America and around the world if you are into global travel. The Earth Cruiser is designed to fit in a shipping container which makes it easy to transport anywhere in the world. Finally, if you are a fan of Daimler products, they own 90% of Mitsubishi Fuso

It's always about your goals and optimizing the choices to meet those goals.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Guess it depends on what your goals are. They are very reliable and widely used and allow you to eliminate propane when combined with diesel heat and hot water. Diesel has high energy content so works great for all heating functions. You could go with more electrical capability and use induction which is also good. In the Earth Cruiser you don't need a large battery bank since they generally don't have any high power electrical devices. You can get a low power 12 volt air conditioner but most people just travel to cooler weather and avoid the need for air conditioning. Eliminating propane and having about 75 gal of diesel onboard and solar/engine alternator battery charging gives the Earth Cruiser a long range, gets about 14 mpg, and long term boondocking capability. Has cassette toilet, shower, and water purifying system so pretty easy to get water from anywhere when needed. You can even recycle grey water back through the water system if you want to.

The 4x4 Fuso chassis is extremely rugged and reliable with a reasonable dealer network in North America and around the world if you are into global travel. The Earth Cruiser is designed to fit in a shipping container which makes it easy to transport anywhere in the world. Finally, if you are a fan of Daimler products, they own 90% of Mitsubishi Fuso

It's always about your goals and optimizing the choices to meet those goals.
Oh, and it starts at $495k. So there's that.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
...The whole point of my comments were with 800ah of lithium ion the use of your B is totally transparent and non worry electrically while boondocking same as being on shore power. We were on shore power 19 times out of 152 days last year. It give you no compromise freedom. We don't have to worry about how much something uses.
Yes Davydd, it's always best not to worry about it. (Update: I have a hard time not being too obsessive about what's left in my battery bank!) But humans are in a perpetual "survival" mode, never satisfied of what they have, even if it far exceeds what they really need.

I wonder what could be the use of the 1200 Ah battery capacity ARV is now offering. Powering neighbours RVs so that they don't use their gen?

An Etrek powering a Winnebago for the night! JH must be ecstatic!

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Oh, and it starts at $495k. So there's that.
Not sure where you pulled that number from but it smells pretty bad...

Earth Cruiser FX 190,000-235,000 US dollars (hard side model)

EarthCruiser EXP 240,000-250,000 US dollars (pop top model)

Not much more expensive than one of those little trawler boat things. These are the ones made in Bend, Oregon. Build quality seems similar to the boat builders you are so fond of.

So there, Mr. Smart Pants
Old 02-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #106
Platinum Member

I like the look of those Earthcruisers. They are BIG though, specially the hard top FX. Not very Stealthy!

Old 02-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Quote:
....the Earth Cruiser a long range, gets about 14 mpg, and long term boondocking capability. ...
...Finally, if you are a fan of Daimler products, they own 90% of Mitsubishi Fuso ...
What engine do they have? I've heard that the small ProMaster diesel engine is also used on "ordinary" Fuso trucks in North America.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #108
Platinum Member

Definetly not stealthy but out in the boondocks stealth is not really needed.

Actually not as big as it appears. 22 feet long so no longer than a standard Sprinter. A little higher at 10 1/2 feet for the hard side model. The pop top is not as high except when popped up of course. Width is just a little wider than cab width so no real issues with parking or maneuvering. Reports to have a smooth and secure ride on the highway at highway speeds which can be an issue for many lifted vans with 4x4 and big tires. Suspension leather seats in place of the standard Fuso cloth seats. Will definetly go where a 4x4 Sprinter would have a problem.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #109
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not sure where you pulled that number from but it smells pretty bad...

Earth Cruiser FX 190,000-235,000 US dollars (hard side model)

EarthCruiser EXP 240,000-250,000 US dollars (pop top model)

Not much more expensive than one of those little trawler boat things. These are the ones made in Bend, Oregon. Build quality seems similar to the boat builders you are so fond of.

So there, Mr. Smart Pants
Sorry, I was quoting Earth Roamer - they have vids on youtube. I was looking at them and Tiger as similar "go-anywhere" type vehicles. Tiger is a good bit cheaper - they top out at the start prices you have for Earth Cruiser. Earth Roamer starts well above.

But funny the Earth Cruiser they had at Hershey 2014 was around 1/2 million dollars.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #110
Platinum Member

Quote:
What engine do they have? I've heard that the small ProMaster diesel engine is also used on "ordinary" Fuso trucks in North America.
It has a 3 liter diesel with a 6 speed automatic manual transmission that has no torque converter.

Canter FG4X4 | Mitsubishi Fuso
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #111
Platinum Member

Quote:
It has a 3 liter diesel with a 6 speed automatic manual transmission that has no torque converter.

Canter FG4X4 | Mitsubishi Fuso
Is it the same 3 liter diesel as the one in the ProMaster? It would be surprising!
Old 02-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #112
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Sorry, I was quoting Earth Roamer - they have vids on youtube. I was looking at them and Tiger as similar "go-anywhere" type vehicles. Tiger is a good bit cheaper - they top out at the start prices you have for Earth Cruiser. Earth Roamer starts well above.

But funny the Earth Cruiser they had at Hershey 2014 was around 1/2 million dollars.
Are you sure it was an Earth Cruiser? These are the same models they produce in Australia but now also build in Bend. There are some other chassis choices in Australia like the Iveco Daily but I wouldn't expect that much of a price difference. They don't make any larger models than these.

There is a similar model from Australia that is made in California, some connection with Sportsmobile as I recall but not much different in price.

The Alpha Camper | Expedition Portal
Old 02-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Quote:
Is it the same 3 liter diesel as the one in the ProMaster? It would be surprising!
Seems like a close match in terms of the specs and the automated manual 6 speed transmission but I don't know if they are the same powertrain or not.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #114
Bronze Member

From the Promaster forum:
Mitusubishi Fuso Canter 4P10 diesel engines are part of FPT Industrial F1C engines family.
Ram Promaster, Fiat Ducato and Peugeot/Citroen twins as well as Iveco Daily use F1C diesel engines. Gearboxes are different.
It is also used by Iveco LMV military vehicles, there are maritime versions (named FPT Industrial S30) and are also used in power generation / cogeneration applications.
FPT Industrial is part of CNH Industrial that was demerged from Fiat S.p.A. few years ago.

It is interesting the gross weights for the Canter are almost double that of the Promaster.
35603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #115
Platinum Member

Back on the subject of this thread. If a lithium battery bank is automatically disconnected due to low temps without a provision to self heat then a separate lead-acid battery may be needed to make the other 12v sources work. For example most solar controllers and engine alternators need a battery connected to operate. Not sure about AC battery chargers like an inverter/charger.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Back on the subject of this thread. If a lithium battery bank is automatically disconnected due to low temps without a provision to self heat then a separate lead-acid battery may be needed to make the other 12v sources work. For example most solar controllers and engine alternators need a battery connected to operate. Not sure about AC battery chargers like an inverter/charger.
Yep, that is what we have been figuring was the issue and why Roadtrek needed the AGM. Alternators, almost all chargers, and most solar controllers all need to have a battery on them to work initiate and control voltage.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #117
Platinum Member

Advanced RV's 1200ah request came from a customer who had 24 hour electrical needs for a medical device. I saw the build. All the batteries still fit underneath behind the rear axle.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:24 AM   #118
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Advanced RV's 1200ah request came from a customer who had 24 hour electrical needs for a medical device. I saw the build. All the batteries still fit underneath behind the rear axle.
Impressive to have such big capacity. Worthwhile use.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #119
Platinum Member

I thought the 1200 ah pack was now just another option you can get - definitely not a one-off.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:54 AM   #120
Platinum Member

I don't recall seeing anyone with the 1600 amp hour Ecotrek option yet. No exactly sure what type of energy usage would lead someone to spend that much money. Maybe just the bragging rights, My batteries are bigger than your batteries...

I suppose you could use the large capacity to avoid running the engine generator very often. Solar isn't going to put much much of a dent in filling that size bank.