Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 03:18 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Adding Solar to Jucy

I recently noticed that Jucy has added a solar panel array to its vehicles to help charge the house battery. It is apparently a home brew add-on, with a series of panels. (If it's manufactured, I'd like to know by whom.) I'd love to add one to my vehicle, but am a complete novice in matters electrical, much less solar. So, what can you tell me from this photo? What wattage are these panels separately? How would I connect these panels together to replicate this array? Appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JucySolarPanel.JPG (31.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-16-2016, 03:27 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Doesn't seem worth the effort especially considering that big shadow on it.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I'd likely mount it atop the "penthouse" - run it down the raised strip in the middle. Should give it a clear view of the sun.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If you are going to mount it on the top of the penthouse you might as well use a standard solar panel instead of a flexible one.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I would like to avoid the added bulk atop the penthouse. For that reason I prefer the thin profile. Why do you suggest the standard panel versus the flexible? Is there a performance advantage?
Old 06-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Standard panels would be less expensive and have more power. Flexible panels with the same power for the same size would be very expensive. If the lower power and added expense are acceptable then flexible would be fine. Is the top of the penthouse flat or does it have ridges? Not sure about mounting flexible panels in non flat surfaces...
Old 06-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You need to use the search function here and at RV.net and research what you want to do. I think you'll find 1) You need to do an energy audit and see how much juice you use per day and therefore need to replenish and 2) How many watts of solar panels will accomplish that goal. Speaking for myself and how I use my van, I would get more use out of more battery than solar. I'm not parked long enough and I look for shady campsites.

That little panel in the picture you posted is useless. I doubt it does anything more than shield the paint underneath it from UV.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Standard panels would be less expensive and have more power.
Expense is a consideration, and so is the visual of the vehicle. I don't want to disrupt the lines or add height with a box bolted to the top of the penthouse. Unless I misunderstand how to calculate need, a 50 watt panel will be more than enough to keep the house battery topped off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Flexible panels with the same power for the same size would be very expensive. If the lower power and added expense are acceptable then flexible would be fine. Is the top of the penthouse flat or does it have ridges? Not sure about mounting flexible panels in non flat surfaces...
My goal is to keep the house battery topped off on days we stay parked. The primary power drain is the refrigerator, which consumes 270 watts/day, but let's say 300 or 330 in warm weather. Other than that are just a few LED interior lights, and the actuators to raise/lower the penthouse top.

The project with a 50w flexible panel should cost no more than $150, including controller, wiring and whatever ancillaries. Fixed panels don't seem to be priced appreciably differently. (There is sufficient flat space to mount the flex panels.)
Old 06-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

A 50 watt solar panel will typically get you 13-18 amp hours of battery charge per day, say 15 amp hours. When you say your fridge uses 270 watts per day where exactly did you get that number, 270 watt hours per day would be about a 1 amp average load for the fridge which seems low but may be right. What type of fridge do you have?
Old 06-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

It's an Isotherm BI 41. That's the spec they offer: "Power consumption (W/24h): 270".
Old 06-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Very good, for a fridge that small an average of 1 amp is reasonable so you would use about 24 amp hours per day and the 50 watt panel will typically give you about 15 amp hours of battery charge.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We won't be long in one place, so the alternator would do most of the charging to full as we drive. I understand 50w is not "full replacement", and the panel would at least keep us in power on the occasions we stop for "extended" stays. Jucy doesn't have "shore power" capability, so this seems like a fair alternative. I can't find exact data on my battery's capacity (only CCA and MCA ratings), but similar (I suspect identical) batteries with identical ratings show 55ah, or thereabouts.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #13
Platinum Member

That solar panel would work but only if you consciously park your Jucy facing south with full sun if all you are going to do is keep your battery topped off when stored. Otherwise the panel would be shaded and useless in any other orientation. While traveling going south it would work. Traveling in a northern direction that box will shade it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

It seems the better alternative is placing the panel atop the penthouse. Of course, if the top was to be open I'd have to pay attention to the orientation as you suggest. While driving, the alternator would be doing the charging.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the advice. On re-thinking this, I've decided to go with two 40w panels and mount one on each side of the penthouse. Given that the refrigerator is the main draw, by my calculations this array should pretty much cover that. Each panel is only one inch thick, and narrow enough to mount away from the outside edge. My understanding is to wire these in parallel to maximize current output.

I'm thinking of mounting the panels with bolts through the fiberglass penthouse top, using washers to spread any stress at the four mounting points. Then it's running the cable down to the controller and battery. Any suggestions as to what gauge cable to use, or anything I'm overlooking or got wrong in my thinking?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #16

I want to convert my 2010 Chrysler town and country. The Jucy RV rental is the perfect setup but I can not find where or how they actually convert them. Might be a trade secret but was hoping someone might know and share. SHhh I won't tell.
Thanks for any help.
JemNeye77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Jem -

Jucy does its conversions in California, and is currently offering at least two of their units for sale. One is exactly like mine, except repainted white. The other does not have a penthouse. You can find them on RVTrader.com using Jucy as a keyword. Both units are offered for under $10k. Call 424-456-4830 for details, or go to https://www.jucyusa.com/jucy-perks/vans-for-sale/

I can't imagine replicating the Jucy becasue the interior is all fiberglass. You can come close using other materials, such as plywood. I'll be happy to send you whatever vehicle information you may think you need to proceed.