Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Consider purchasing a permanently installed (hard wired) unit if concerned about theft or forgetting to use it every time etc.
I've used both and I think there are trade offs for either. The permanent interior unit has the advantage of convenient monitoring and certainly would be easy to install during the OEM or DIY build, but after completion, my experience was that it's was a challenge to install compared to employing the in-line version I'm now using which is just plug and play. Since it's plugged into the bitter end of my hookup cable, it's not easy to forget using it. It also has a theft prevention locking ring that enables securing the protector to the pedestal.

Also, in the event the protector misbehaves, the in-line the portable unit can be bypassed by unplugging and removing it. My permanently installed protector did fail once and to maintain power continuity to the coach breakers, I had to open it and do some wiring bypass surgery until the replacement arrived.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #22
Silver Member

thinking this will work for me: SSP-30XL 30 Amp Smart Surge Protector

and I may regret it...
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Just surge suppression?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #24
Silver Member

https://progressiveindustries.myshop...urge-protector

has the list of what it does.....
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #25
Platinum Member

+1 on the kind mounted inside the van, else it will sprout legs and at that point it won't matter how much money you saved on the initial purchase.

We got the one pictured early on in the thread, with the yellow label, left hand side (with the big dollar sign). Today, knowing what we know now, we might make a different choice, but back when we were newbies, we heard some horror stories about surge damage, so it is what it is. That's what we chose at the time.

I recommend mounting with rubber gaskets or somesuch, because these devices make a humming sound. I have yet to go back and retrofit ours... as it turns out, we upgraded to a lithium system and rarely use shore power, so the hum dampening project fell down our priority list.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:23 AM   #26
Platinum Member

I have the 30A permanent one installed and have used it for about three years now.

https://progressiveindustries.myshop.../ems-hw30c-pid

It has saved me several times from low voltage conditions that could have damaged my coach systems at campgrounds with marginal power. I like the remote display that lets you monitor the quality of power coming into my van.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream