Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33
Default Air - the portable type

I really hate to ask a ? As I have sooo many n most can not repair myself
I need to purchase another air on conditioner for my homE and thinking of the portable on wheels. Would this type work in a roadtrek when desperate ?
When driving? Would it take up too much of the battery
Sure you must have to have a drain and hose to window?
Thanks for any help
Quite hot when camping this weekend and when driving down the road (6 hours ride turned into 11 hours due to construction) and air would not omemee on because of the stopping and starting and I am in dog rescue ue and sometimes have a few and really need it.
Thanks ann
sewright33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My opinion - I'd have to say no they're not really suited for van use and probably even less suited for a van that is in motion.

There has been some discussion of portable A/C's from time to time but I don't recall any recent discussions about using one. They'd have to be very well anchored down so as to not become a heavy projectile in the event of an accident.

Several members here have excellent in-depth mechanical skills and will likely help with some advice about how to or what to do about the dash A/C problem you described.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewright33 View Post
Would this type work in a roadtrek when desperate ?
Yes it would. In fact it's what I'm doing this summer. However, I would not suggest you use it while driving. In my case it would be only for night time during high humidity to make sleeping more comfortable.

The units weight 50 or more pounds, and are pretty big. It would be darn difficult to secure it while driving especially since they are on wheels.

Most stand up units have a container that water drains into and when full it shuts off. They should easily run all night before filling up. However you do need an air exhaust vent that would need to go out the window as they push out a lot of hot air.

The van AC should work at all times unless the engine is close to Wide Open Throttle (WOT). In simple terms, near WOT the AC will shut off to give the engine more available power. I would have someone take a look at the AC, perhaps it needs charging.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote