Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I have an older Trimetric monitor that is not in the same RV as the Samlex EVO. That monitor lets you pick the voltage and the amps setpoints required for the charged indicator lamp to come on. I ended up choosing 14.3V and 1 amp or less because the PD charger could not get the 400Ah bank to 14.4V and 1 amp or less.

With the Samlex, I might test setting the absorption volts to 14.5V instead of 14.4V now that it exits the absorption phase immediately upon reaching the exit amps setpoint. There's little risk of overcharge now.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I just looked at the Trimetric manual for the new version, which I think has different settable the parameters than I remember. I don't see the time requirement setting for indicating full charge, or going to float if it is doing solar charging, but it does have the % overcharge setting that might work for the same purpose to some extent. The problem is that the % of extra AH you need to put into the batteries changes with DOD, so that would be an issue.

All the internal amp measuring chargers don't let you program things like the % overcharge or any extra time, AFAIK. If they had a 3 stage program with full shutoff after a float time, you could put the float voltage high and set the timer to whatever extra time you wanted.

The idea of going longer in absorption is interesting to me, as I did a lot of experimenting with the idea when we got the Magnum and Lifelines, only not doing it with extra time.

I had always checked the ultimate ending amps of our wet cells, when we had them, by dropping the ending amps to zero with the Blue Sea charger because Trojan was pretty firm in stating it would change quite a bit as the batteries aged. We found it did change a lot on the 12v versions, but hardly at all on the 6 volt GC versions, which was interesting.

I did the same test with the Lifelines after they had been cycled a few times to break them in, and found that they would actually go to nearly .2%C amps if left on long until the amps stabilized, which is quite a bit lower than the .5%C where Lifeline considered them full in tech manual. Going that extra nearly .3% lower essentially doubled, or more, the charge time by adding at least 12 hrs in absorption to about a full day.

I called Lifeline about it and asked if they should be taken that far in absorption or if it was better to stop at the .5%C to limit their higher voltage exposure time. They were a little squishy on it, but thought that being at elevated voltage that long would not be a good idea on a regular basis because of increased corrosion potential. For deep discharge use, they would prefer the "mini equalization" stage at the end of the cycle instead. In normal type use they said the batteries would get to essentially the same state of charge and condition on float as they would with the longer absorption, but it would take a long time to get there, like days.

Being me, I went back to test what they said by doing it both ways. First I did the long absorption time to get to lowest amps I could. I then took it to float with a only the tiny load of the remote panel and our detectors on. It took a while to get near float voltage, but when it did I turned off everything but remote panel and checked at just about .2 amps on the 440ah bank.

I then ran the batteries down over a couple of days to 50% and did the recharge at the normal ending of .5%C and then let it go to float slowly the same way. When it got to steady float, it was in the .4 amp range, which was double what the long absorption had given. After about 2 days at float it was around the .2 amps, and after a week or two had actually gone closer to .1 amp.

Based on the test, I did decide that Lifeline was probably right, at least for their batteries, and have been using the .5% and letting the float finish them off. I think it has been about 3 years and they still eventually get to the same .1 amp at float, so seems to be OK.

I think if we were on the road and getting deep discharges all the time (which is very unlikely with our settup), I would probably throw in a manual tiny equalize at about 15v every once in a while, but we have never had conditions that would warrant that to this point.

If your charger can do it, you may want to manually run a very short high voltage cycle at the end of absorption once in a while and see if it does what you want, without using the longer absorption time.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Just a note about the Samlex EVO series. You can save your programmed settings to SD card and also load those setting to that or other Samlex EVO units.

I had a bunch of old SD cards that I figured would be perfect for this. One card is 32MB... yes MB! Another is 256MB and a few are 2GB.

Examples of ready to load saved settings:

Card 1
30A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
4A Exit Absorb
Charger + Inverter

Card 2
15A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
4A Exit Absorb
Charger Only

Card 3
15A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
Adaptive Algorithm
Charger Only

Card 4
30A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
4A Exit Absorb
Charger Only

You get the idea.

I formatted all of the cards to the Samlex EVO required FAT16 or Fat32 on my Windows 10 PC but the Samlex wouldn't see most of the cards. Only one 32GB card was usable. At first I assumed the problem was that most of the cards were old and not conforming to current standards. I didn't want to buy a bunch of new cards. Then I remembered using the formatter from the SD Association for past projects - SD Memory Card Formatter - https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I formatted all the cards again using the downloaded program and all of the cards now work with the Samlex!

If you have a card that doesn't want to work in a device then try using the SD Memory Card Formatter from the SD Association .
Old 11-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Just a note about the Samlex EVO series. You can save your programmed settings to SD card and also load those setting to that or other Samlex EVO units.

I had a bunch of old SD cards that I figured would be perfect for this. One card is 32MB... yes MB! Another is 256MB and a few are 2GB.

Examples of ready to load saved settings:

Card 1
30A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
4A Exit Absorb
Charger + Inverter

Card 2
15A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
4A Exit Absorb
Charger Only

Card 3
15A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
Adaptive Algorithm
Charger Only

Card 4
30A AC Shore
80A DC Charging
4A Exit Absorb
Charger Only

You get the idea.

I formatted all of the cards to the Samlex EVO required FAT16 or Fat32 on my Windows 10 PC but the Samlex wouldn't see most of the cards. Only one 32GB card was usable. At first I assumed the problem was that most of the cards were old and not conforming to current standards. I didn't want to buy a bunch of new cards. Then I remembered using the formatter from the SD Association for past projects - SD Memory Card Formatter - https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I formatted all the cards again using the downloaded program and all of the cards now work with the Samlex!

If you have a card that doesn't want to work in a device then try using the SD Memory Card Formatter from the SD Association .

That is a really nice feature, I think. I could see it being very useful for those times when you are only going to shore power a short time and have been kine of rough on you batteries for a while, like deep discharges, and you want to increase the charge voltage a bit or increase the max absorption time if you can't control amps on your charger. When we had lower capacity of batteries and used to see deeper discharges sometimes, I would use the AGM1 or AGM2 profile to change back and forth. Multiple custom profiles would be much better.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #25
Platinum Member

I downloaded a template for SD card labels - http://templates.onlinelabels.com/Te...plate/OL28.doc

I just used a different label sheet with the template so I had to cut them to size. All five cards fit into a little plastic box.

SD Cards.JPG

SD Card box.JPG
Old 11-18-2018, 12:52 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I downloaded a template for SD card labels - http://templates.onlinelabels.com/Te...plate/OL28.doc

I just used a different label sheet with the template so I had to cut them to size. All five cards fit into a little plastic box.

Attachment 6730

Attachment 6731

That is really slick to minimize setting changes. How much work is it to load off the card? Does it just run off the card when it sees it?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Yes, if there's a config file saved on the card then immediately upon inserting the card you'll be asked if you want to load those parameters.

Quote:
Upload conf?
Yes = Enter Key
No = Back Key
If data logging to the card is enabled then the instructions say to stop the card before removing it. Data logging can be disabled.