Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Battery and drive systems for new EV

I have been looking at some of the easily available PR info on the different EVs that are approaching road readiness in the next 5 years. It looks like each manufacturer (BMW, MB, Volvo, Jaguar, etc) is developing their own systems for storage and charging. Is this true? I would think that they might want to team up or just buy from another established source (Tesla) the basics of the battery/charge system. At some point they are going to have to standardize nationwide battery stations. They can always add special feature to the software or a better subcomponent to set them apart. This multiple design scenario is much like the ClassB world where each brand tries to make its own battery system that results in a large variation in quality and a servicing nightmare at dealers. If the future is going to consist of people leasing if they even drive a car or just Ubering, then standardize now.

My wish is that a standardized, reliable, powerful and low price point system comes to market soon that could be easily implemented in a classB. In my opinion, currently Volta is such a system except for greatly missing the low price point. Right now, how many people are eager to go to a dealer to have them work on your battery system, even if they originally installed it?
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

To answer my question, there seems to be several standards for EV systems when looked at from the charging approach. A good overview (don't worry it is not technical) is https://energypolicy.columbia.edu/si...port_Final.pdf . When the dust settles, there should be many high quality components that would make a great classB battery systems. Just like all the high quality camera components and distance sensors that can now be purchased for dollars because of their mass production for cars, higher functioning batteries with the necessary controllers should too become cost effective. It will be interesting to see if the US has a chance to be a driver of the standards.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

WIRED has an article on the (near?) future Tesla battery:
https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-ma..._term=list1_p4.

In it they reference a recent paper from the Tesla Canada battery group that is interesting:

A Wide Range of Testing Results on an Excellent Lithium-Ion Cell Chemistry to be used as Benchmarks for New Battery Technologies

But what is really good if you are into the deep basics of batteries is that papers on the Electrochemical Society will be free OCT 21-27:

https://www.electrochem.org/ecs-blog...ess-week-2019/
Old 05-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Here is a recent article on advancing the art of determining the health status of lithium batteries. It is short and includes a good list of related articles on the subject:

http://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-15235-7
Old 05-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I'm sure it is a good article, just over my head (not uncommon for me).

I plan to consider the useful life of my lithium batteries in the same way I did my old lead acids. By that, I mean once they are no longer able to power my needs, I will consider that their end-of-life. I just hope it is 10 years or more in the future.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Looks like US is shedding one of the EV charging standards:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/n...fast-charging/

How much longer until the only standard will be from Tesla? Does not impact classb in the near term, but seeing how long it takes for a custom classb to be built today, some may be thinking of a total EV Sprinter for their next one in 4 or 5 years.