Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #21
Edj

Hi Lennie
I have a 2005 Plateau and have gone through much of your debates.
Definitely think about joining Pleasureway Yahoo group. If you are in SF Bay Area I’d be happy to meet you and have a look and chat.
Best
Ed
Edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #22
Silver Member

If you have propane, use that all the time for your fridge unless you are on shore power or a long drive. It will run months on propane.
Trust me even if you get solar, it is worth it to have a backup generator.
Spend the extra money and get one of the super quiet four cycle models.
You cannot run an A/C for very long on a single battery or solar.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #23

Default Trimetric Battery Monitor

I put a Trimetric Battery Monitor in my 2003/04 Leisure Travel Sprinter 5 years ago and I love it. It shows me everything I need to know about battery usage, status and charging.That allows me to wisely use devices, not go below recommended 50% level and recharge when required. My battery is a 125 AH, Group 31, AGM mounted sideways under the passenger seat. (Does not require pulling the seat to access it. Just open the side panel in the step area.) Thanks to this monitor device the battery is operating like new after 5 years and 100,000 miles.

My Battery Monitor is a TRIMETRIC TM 2025 RV. The current model is a TM 2030 RV.Go to bogartengineering.com or usethis link to their website.http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/trimetrics.html

Pat
patgearty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:19 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgearty View Post
I put a Trimetric Battery Monitor in my 2003/04 Leisure Travel Sprinter 5 years ago and I love it. It shows me everything I need to know about battery usage, status and charging.That allows me to wisely use devices, not go below recommended 50% level and recharge when required. My battery is a 125 AH, Group 31, AGM mounted sideways under the passenger seat. (Does not require pulling the seat to access it. Just open the side panel in the step area.) Thanks to this monitor device the battery is operating like new after 5 years and 100,000 miles.

My Battery Monitor is a TRIMETRIC TM 2025 RV. The current model is a TM 2030 RV.Go to bogartengineering.com or usethis link to their website.http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/trimetrics.html

Pat
The Trimetric is a quality monitor but I think it has to be hard wired. The latest generation of these monitors goes beyond that. For example, the system monitor in the Galleria is a portable tablet that wirelessly reports and permits wireless programming of the Xantrex system parameters.

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #25
Platinum Member

I see you have the exact same inverter and amplifier, mine has an isolator too. I hadn't considered a plug in volt meter. Good idea. Thanks.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone, you've given me a lot to think about. I like the idea of a larger AGM battery on its side, since Pat was able to fit one under the Sprinter passenger seat.

I do like the idea of the more accurate battery monitors either the Victron or Trimetric. I have a spot I can put one not far from the battery.

I did try to join the Facebook Pleasure Way group but was denied, kind of odd maybe because my page is fairly private.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #27

Default AGM House Battery installed in a 2003 Sprinter - Leisure Travel Free Spirit 210B

This is a follow up to my previous post on this subject. Attached is a photo of my AGM battery installed on its side beneath the passenger seat.It did require removal of the seat to install.I don’t recall the details but I believe I may have removed some of the original metal battery brackets.I secured the new battery with Tie Down Cargo Straps.The Trimetric Shunt is the black device with two lugs located at bottom, lower left of the photo.The battery is a Lifeline GPL-31XT, 125AH AGM.

~Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coach Batt 2003 Sprinter b.jpg (177.6 KB, 19 views)
patgearty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgearty View Post
This is a follow up to my previous post on this subject. Attached is a photo of my AGM battery installed on its side beneath the passenger seat.It did require removal of the seat to install.I don’t recall the details but I believe I may have removed some of the original metal battery brackets.I secured the new battery with Tie Down Cargo Straps.The Trimetric Shunt is the black device with two lugs located at bottom, lower left of the photo.The battery is a Lifeline GPL-31XT, 125AH AGM.

~Pat
Excellent battery choice. For its dimensions the 31XT is as good as it gets.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #29
Platinum Member

That picture is very useful. It does look like you removed some of the metal brackets. I'm definitely going to do the same thing. I'm happy I'll be able to get more than 100ah battery.

I bought an inexpensive plug in voltage monitor to use until I decide on which one I want long term, just to keep me from stressing over damaging the battery. It's been so hot lately I haven't worked on anything that is outside.