Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Battery Recommendation for 2012 Sprinter Chassis

Hi Everyone,

Well after about 3 1/2 Years our 2012 Sprinter Chassis battery has given up the ghost--no doubt partially due to a local dealership letting it completely drain while it spent a couple months on their lot for repairs--and I mean COMPLETELY DRAIN.

Anyway, we need recommendation from savvy folks who have already done the research. Our battery guy is recommending an AGM Group 49 battery whatever that means. There are two models he recommends:

(1) A "World Source" brand, 24 Month 100% Free warranty. for $220. He says it is manufactured by the parent company "Excide" or "Exide" which is supposed to be a major player in batteries.

(2) A "Bosch" brand, 4 yr. 100% Warranty battery for $240.

The prices might be a little higher than other places because he is willing to come out to install it on site (saving us a tow charge).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

............Rocky

P.S. In case it matters, our Rig is a 2013 Great West Legend SE
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

"Group 49" is the form factor, the physical size of the battery.

You need a battery of the same physical size so that it will fit in the battery box.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

check costco first- most have 2 year 100% replacement and they are everywhere

it could well be that you've been told your german machine will only work on a metric battery...any battery which physically fits and has the required volts, amp hours and CCA rating will do. just like you can buy diesel by the gallon- it doesn't have to be by the litre.

so you can save about 1/2 if you want to do some footwork

alarm, radio memory and other items will drain a battery in a parked vehicle.

i have a "switched" negative battery cable on my chassis battery $11

side post like for a GM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a.) shame you had to wait months for warranty service...?

b.) double shame that the dealer or someone didnt think to disconnect the battery or plug ina trickle charger

c.) chances you'll be giving them more business are low at this point...have you given them the option to make good for this oversight?

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Rok
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies so far, but we would really be interested in what others have bought for their rigs.

We want something a bit more rugged than the OEM Battery and I've posted the recommendations of our service guy.

I don't think Costco has a service that comes to your location to put the battery in. Right now we can't even start the van--even with a jump.

No, we didn't give the repair facility a chance to make it right by us--well, not really. I did mention it and they BS'ed us saying that it happened all the time. With hundreds of units on the lot there was no way they could keep the batteries up on all the rigs--and no dealership could, they claimed. They also drained our coach batteries entirely, too, by leaving the power on and the little vampires drained them (we had it off when we delivered it to them). Those batteries have also significantly degraded since that experience.

We are pretty sure that Great West stiffed them on the extensive repairs, so we're probably fairly even with them--but, as you say we don't plan to do any additional business with them.

...........Rocky
Old 12-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
::
We want something a bit more rugged than the OEM Battery and I've posted the recommendations of our service guy.
::
...........Rocky

Quote:
(2) A "Bosch" brand, 4 yr. 100% Warranty battery for $240.

It sounds like you don't have much choice.

or should I say, you have already made up your mind.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #6
Rok
Platinum Member

Oh, I forgot to add that we have a security unit on the rig that appears to be a fairly large vampire to the chassis battery, and it keeps us from being able to use one of those off switches for the battery. Plus, if it is a battery terminal switch unit, the battery is under the floor where the drivers feet go and it is a pain and a half to get to it--especially if you were going to turn it off after every outing. The Coach batteries have a handy kill switch, and we always keep it off except when camping or driving the vehicle.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
Rok
Platinum Member

No, we haven't already made up our mind--well maybe as to who will do it, but certainly not the battery that they will use. I think that if someone here posted a good reason why we should use a certain battery because it was the best for the purpose, that we could get our guy to get us that battery.

I'm sure he'll install it properly, I just don't know that he knows all the ins and outs of batteries. He knows a hell of a lot more than I do, but this forum is an awfully good resource for what to do.

The last time I trusted someone who was a supposed expert, I got stung and ended up with two substandard tires on the front of our rig. When I got the info from this forum, it was too late.

So, yes, I am looking for a recommendation on a battery, but I'm not looking for a recommendation on where to get it from.

Again, I don't know from batteries. I'm hoping other people do and are willing to share that information.

...........Rocky
Old 12-19-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
Platinum Member

your coach batteries are probably dead too from being discharged- keep an eye on them.

as far as replacements- if you need replacement and have AAA, some State AAA providers sell and install batteries ( AZ AAA does)

if you are willing or capable to go to a store and use a wrench you'll be saving a hundred bucks or more...
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to add that we have a security unit on the rig that appears to be a fairly large vampire to the chassis battery, and it keeps us from being able to use one of those off switches for the battery. Plus, if it is a battery terminal switch unit, the battery is under the floor where the drivers feet go and it is a pain and a half to get to it--especially if you were going to turn it off after every outing. The Coach batteries have a handy kill switch, and we always keep it off except when camping or driving the vehicle.

Your security system probably also had a lot to do with killing your chassis battery. BTW - Sprinters have a chassis battery disconnect near the accelerator pedal. You should check it out so you can prolong the life of your new battery.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 12-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

FWIW, and it might not be worth very much, we recently replaced our Sprinter battery with a stock unit off the shelf at Walmart!

This much is true: Automotive batteries have significantly reduced lifespans in the deep south where we live. They don't do well in subtropical heat and humidity. Often times they don't live as long as the warranty and we get a prorated refund when we swap them out. The first thing one sees when one steps into the customer waiting room at our local NTB store is a giant chart on the wall depicting battery life spans in the various climatic regions of the U.S. Obviously they get this question all the time - "Why is my battery dead already?!"

This much is speculation (logical but not strictly proven): Having been stranded umpteen times by prematurely dead batteries in a variety of vehicles over the years, I've concluded that the age of the battery is more important than the brand of the battery. So I tend to buy low to mid-range and replace more frequently than the manufacturer recommends.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #11
Rok
Platinum Member

I just started a new thread on this subject after doing a bunch of research. As usual, the research turned up a lot of differing and conflicting information.

Bottom line: I'm back to square one.

Thanks to everyone who replied here.

...........Rocky
Old 12-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just started a new thread on this subject after doing a bunch of research. As usual, the research turned up a lot of differing and conflicting information.

Bottom line: I'm back to square one.

Thanks to everyone who replied here.

...........Rocky
Not sure what advice you were looking for?

You listed two batteries recommended by your battery guy in your original post. My recommendation is to flip a coin Heads the Exide battery, Tails the Bosch battery. In my view, it doesn't really matter enough to spend too much time deciding what battery to buy. Either of those two should be fine.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
Rok
Platinum Member

gregmchugh:

The new information that I got from my local dealership's parts department is that you shouldn't use one of those fancier "gel" batteries because the computer in the Sprinter is set up for the OEM battery.

It sounds like a lot of bunkus to me, but until I can't verify that it is I will hold off buying anything.

I just went out to see if the change of temperature made any change and now the battery is completely dead, and in "DEAD dead." nothing is powered now.

Thanks for the comment.

...........Rocky
Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
gregmchugh:

The new information that I got from my local dealership's parts department is that you shouldn't use one of those fancier "gel" batteries because the computer in the Sprinter is set up for the OEM battery.

It sounds like a lot of bunkus to me, but until I can't verify that it is I will hold off buying anything.

I just went out to see if the change of temperature made any change and now the battery is completely dead, and in "DEAD dead." nothing is powered now.

Thanks for the comment.

...........Rocky

Put a smart charger on it.
I bet you can revive it.