Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 04:13 AM   #1

Default Can you add an air conditioner and generator to a class b without?

Looking at a 97 okanagan and it doesn't have a generator or air conditioner. I dont think any of the okanagans do? I'm not sure we'll need it. But if we decide we do is it possible to add? It has two 14x14 vents. So could you just remove a vent and put an air conditioner there? I dont think there is space built in for a generator. But I saw some lock boxes you could put on the rear. Maybe you could put a honda 2000 generator on there for the AC?
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Looking at a 97 okanagan and it doesn't have a generator or air conditioner. I dont think any of the okanagans do? I'm not sure we'll need it. But if we decide we do is it possible to add? It has two 14x14 vents. So could you just remove a vent and put an air conditioner there? I dont think there is space built in for a generator. But I saw some lock boxes you could put on the rear. Maybe you could put a honda 2000 generator on there for the AC?
I've just researched roof a/c's for an upcoming replacement. My first to I read all the specs and youtube videos. The answer to your question is yes. 14" x 14" is the standard opening for both roof vent fans and a/c's. They even seal to your roof with a foam gasket (no messy caulk to apply, but you'd need to remove any left from the original vent). Not a difficult install process.

But . . .

Just be sure your roof area can support the approximate 90 lbs. which will be bouncing on top as you go down the road. Also, a 10ga. 110/115v power cord will be needed as well as a 20-30 amp breaker. So if your okanagan doesn't already have existing 30A service, you'll need to have that professionally installed.

If you install a small enough and high efficiency unit, you may get by with 20A electric service to the a/c, but only a knowledgeable electrician can tell you for sure.

Is the okanagan a large box-top class b rv?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #3
Gold Member

Running an AC off of a Honda 2000 is problematic. I tried it with all the hacks that they had online. Using Mobil One oil. Installing a hard start capacitor. It kind of worked. Sometimes.

Get a 3500 if you want to run an AC reliably.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If you're going the add on genny route, I've had excellent service from a Champion inverter genny. Not quite as quiet as the Honda but a lot quieter than the Onan. Remote key fob start is uber convenient, 2800 watt with 3100 surge. About 900 on Amazon. Three year warranty and US based customer support. Runs fine at up to 9600 feet elevation.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/

HTH.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Not cheap-but this is the one if 2000 watts is problematic and 3500 really not needed and it's an inverter model with really low sound

Yamaha EF 2400

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...iABEgJu9_D_BwE

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Yama...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Not cheap-but this is the one if 2000 watts is problematic and 3500 really not needed and it's an inverter model with really low sound

Yamaha EF 2400

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...iABEgJu9_D_BwE

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Yama...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Nice. Even has a 12VDC output.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #7

Thanks everyone but looks like this was all for not. I went to look at the Okanagan today and the seller was unfortunately mentally unstable. When I brought up some issues with the van (fluid leak, old shocks, bad ball joints) she became upset, said she'd decided to raise the price and jumped in the van and took off. So much for the 6 hr round trip it took to go see the van. Oh well the searching continues, seems most vans have onboard generators but i'm still going to bookmark that champion, the remote key fob is amazing.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Platinum Member

FlyHigh, I don't know if you are in CA Canada or CA California, but I did a Craigslist search here in the SF Bay Area for Bs that had less than 100,000 miles and were about $15K (i.e., $12K-$18K) and four were listed within the past week. I'm confident you can find something without dealing with a crazy person. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
FlyHigh, I don't know if you are in CA Canada or CA California, but I did a Craigslist search here in the SF Bay Area for Bs that had less than 100,000 miles and were about $15K (i.e., $12K-$18K) and four were listed within the past week. I'm confident you can find something without dealing with a crazy person. Good luck in your search.
Thanks, i'm in Los Angeles California. We are only looking for a Ford or Chevy, no dodges. That narrows it down quite a bit as a great number seem to be dodges. But yes we'll keep looking. I just found a 96 Ford Coachmen with 65k on it asking $10,800. But it doesn't have a generator or awning, and were not sure if the top bunk bed is going to be big enough since it looks smaller than the okanagan and airstream toppers. Its near family in the midwest so they could look at it but not something we can see ourselves unfortunately. The search will continue.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:32 PM   #10
Bronze Member

FlyH, I have a 2000 Okanagon on a Dodge 3500. It has over 185000 KM (+111K miles) and runs like a top. Wouldn't worry about the Dodge vs Ford issue at all. GM vans weren't offered to my knowledge. Don't think air was ever offered as an option, and definitely not a generator. That said it offers by far the most bed space of any raised rof van, including the expanding (widening) lower bed if you have the dinette layout vs couch. I've not bothered yet with air but live in Canada so it's not as critical. Good luck in your surch.
Also, I carry a gen in a back box as you describe.
This is my 2nd Okanagan van, had an '82 back in 1986 and always regretted selling it as I'm 6'3".
Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote