Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 7
Default Chassis battery charging from shore power w/battery separator?

Our van has been sitting in our driveway for a few weeks between trips. I checked on it yesterday and found that the chassis battery was dead (I jumped it and it seems fine).

I know this shouldn't be a surprise considering parasitic loads. However, I have had the van plugged into shore power the whole time and thought that my “Blue Sea ML-ACR 7622 Auto Charging Relay” (ACR) would keep not just the HOUSE batteries charged, but also the CHASSIS battery. I now think my assumption about this is probably wrong and would like your comments about how this should work.

FYI, here's my van/electrical setup:
- 2016 Ram Promaster (so the battery is 3 years old)
- Van conversion by Sportsmobile
- House batteries: Four 6V AGM Batteries (approx. 200 AH each for a total of 400 AH wired in series/parallel to provide 12 volts)
- Inverter/ Charger: Magnum MS2000
- Solar panel & charger
BTW, I don’t know very much about electrical systems as you’ll quickly realize.

So here’s my theory about what is happening and why my assumption is probably wrong:

I believed that the ACR would connect the batteries on both sides whenever it sensed a charging source on one side or the other. So, for example, when I’m driving down the road and the alternator is providing power, the ACR will connect the chassis side to the house side so that my house batteries will charge while driving. This is clearly working.

I had also thought that the reverse would occur: With the van parked and plugged into shore power, the ACR would sense the power entering on the house side and close the ACR connection to provide a charge to the chassis battery. My dead chassis battery shows that this is not happening.

Here’s my thinking: Once the shore power charges up the house batteries, the charger shuts off and does not charge the chassis battery as its power is drained due to parasitic loads while there is no matching drop in the house batteries. Does this make sense? If not, why is the chassis battery dead?

(As an aside, I was always suspicious that the chassis battery couldn’t be charged from the charger on the house side anyway, thinking that the charge profile and state of charge of the house vs. chassis batteries could be different. Thoughts?)

OK, so if you’ve made it this far, here is a follow up question:
- Should I use a trickle-charger on the chassis side? Or would this overcharge the house batteries? (I suppose I could override the ACR to force it to disconnect, but it is located under the van in an inaccessible location and I don’t seem to have the remote switch installed – or at least I can’t find it anywhere. Maybe I should get a remote switch installed?)

I know that some of you might recommend just disconnecting the chassis battery between trips. But it is a hassle to get under the floor to do this since the battery is not under the hood. If I could find a trickle-charger that would plug into the cigarette lighter, this would be much easier.

So, any advice you can provide to set me right would be most appreciated.

George
__________________

PhillyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 115
Default

Welcome George!

I have the same Blue Sea 7622 ACR, and it does charge "from either end" as you thought. There is something wrong with yours, or the setup on yours. You shouldn't need to add another trickle charger. And yes the remote switch is a useful accessory.

Your chassis battery may or may not be "done". Try disconnecting it and charging it up with a separate charger. Then disconnect the charger and let it sit for a day or two. Reconnect it to the van and see how it is.

Good luck, Dick
__________________

dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 389
Default

A battery maintainer would be the way to go vs a trickle charger, if that is the direction you are headed. They are designed to remain connected indefinitely.

Battery Tender by Deltran is a name that comes to mind. Their big ol' factory is near me in Deland, FL. I assume they are still made in the U.S. I use their "mini" for my motorcycles. Good stuff. The plus model even has temperature compensation. Awesome feature set.
__________________
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile
Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,240
Default

Since you have solar installed, you might want to consider adding one of these which will automatically charger your chassis battery from the house side solar charging or shore charging. Two models with different charge currents...

LSL Products / LSLProducts.com - Problem-Solving Gear & Gadgets
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,267
Default

If you are plugged in, there is no point in a separate battery tender. The Trik-L-Start device is specifically intended for this situation, and is install-and-forget.

I don't know about the Blue Sea device.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
Welcome George!

I have the same Blue Sea 7622 ACR, and it does charge "from either end" as you thought. There is something wrong with yours, or the setup on yours. You shouldn't need to add another trickle charger. And yes the remote switch is a useful accessory.

Your chassis battery may or may not be "done". Try disconnecting it and charging it up with a separate charger. Then disconnect the charger and let it sit for a day or two. Reconnect it to the van and see how it is.

Good luck, Dick
Thanks very much dicktill. From your response I'm wondering if I should ask Sportsmobile about this (it is a fairly recent build). And maybe they could install the remote switch as well.

George
PhillyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 7
Default

And thanks SteveJ, gregmchug and avanti for the info about the Battery Tender and Trik-L-Start.

Avanti, you said, "If you are plugged in, there is no point in a separate battery tender." Does this mean that you think that I should be able to get my existing battery separator (Blue Sea ACR) to charge the chassis battery from shore power?

Thanks again. This is very helpful to hear what others much more knowledgeable than me have to say.
PhillyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:16 PM   #8
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGeorge View Post
Avanti, you said, "If you are plugged in, there is no point in a separate battery tender." Does this mean that you think that I should be able to get my existing battery separator (Blue Sea ACR) to charge the chassis battery from shore power?
No. All I was trying to say is that if you want "battery tender" functionality, and you are leaving your rig plugged in, the Trik-L-Start is a better and more economical alternative than a separate AC battery tender.

As for the Blue Sea ACR: it is an electronically controlled mechanical relay that automatically connects your coach and house batteries if it sees a charge current (13V or more) on either side. If working properly, this will indeed charge your chassis battery whenever you are charging the coach battery. However, it does this by simply shorting them together. IMO, this is kind of a brute-force approach that is not optimal in this situation. It is really meant for boats that have multiple banks of identical batteries. In the case of a B van, the coach and house batteries are likely of different size and age, and quite possibly different chemistry. I wouldn't want my coach charger making decisions on behalf of my chassis starter battery. The Trick-L-Start is essentially a float charger that will gently keep the chassis battery topped off. I think it is a better solution.
__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:29 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
No. All I was trying to say is that if you want "battery tender" functionality, and you are leaving your rig plugged in, the Trik-L-Start is a better and more economical alternative than a separate AC battery tender.

As for the Blue Sea ACR: it is an electronically controlled mechanical relay that automatically connects your coach and house batteries if it sees a charge current (13V or more) on either side. If working properly, this will indeed charge your chassis battery whenever you are charging the coach battery. However, it does this by simply shorting them together. IMO, this is kind of a brute-force approach that is not optimal in this situation. It is really meant for boats that have multiple banks of identical batteries. In the case of a B van, the coach and house batteries are likely of different size and age, and quite possibly different chemistry. I wouldn't want my coach charger making decisions on behalf of my chassis starter battery. The Trick-L-Start is essentially a float charger that will gently keep the chassis battery topped off. I think it is a better solution.
Got it. I'll have to research the Trik-L-Start to see how it works and how it is installed.

Quick follow up question: You said, "I wouldn't want my coach charger making decisions on behalf of my chassis starter battery." Can I assume that the reverse would be true also. That is, that you wouldn't want the Trik-L-Start (connected to the chassis battery) sending a charge back to the house batteries - meaning that you would want the battery separator to open the circuit so that power is not sent back to the house batteries?

To do this, I would think that I would need to manually disengage the Blue Sea ACR (open the circuit) which means that I would need to have a remote switch installed to do this ??? (I am assuming that the Trik-L-Start puts out more than 13V which would normally trigger the ACR battery separator to close the circuit.)

Thanks again.

George
PhillyGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:30 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,570
Default

The big question would have to be what charger you have and how it is set up. Some chargers have options for charge profile that can be either a "go to float when full" which is normal for lead acid batteries like AGM, or they can be set to "shut off and rebulk when voltage drops" which is more common for lithium batteries.


If yours is set to shut off, you would get exactly what you are seeing, assuming the charger is settable that way.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery separator, blue sea ml-acr, chassis battery, dead battery, trickle charger

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.