Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Coach Batteries Not Charging On Shore Power

I discovered that my coach batteries were dead even though the coach was plugged into shore power. I assumed that the original Parallax converter in my 2002 Leisure Travel van had gone bad, so I had it replaced with a Progressive Dynamics converter, as previously recommended by others on this forum. However, I am unfortunately still having the same problem! The same problem occurs when my genset runs, but I assume that its output goes through the converter just as shore power does. Hence, the problem must be something other than the converter.

I do have 12 volt power in the coach, as one would expect. And, the chassis alternator does seemingly properly charge the batteries when the motor runs per a voltmeter reading. Since discovering the problem, I have used a Battery Tender to maintain the batteries, but I would like to have shore power charge the batteries when I am hooked up.

How do I proceed to find the root of the problem? Thanks in advance!
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith View Post
How do I proceed to find the root of the problem? Thanks in advance!
You need to know how to use a volt/ohmmeter and find the discontinuity between the battery and converter. Shouldn't be too hard. There are probably automatic reset circuit breakers in that path to check.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

In a B that is usually caused by the battery contactor not being on.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
In a B that is usually caused by the battery contactor not being on.
Can you be more specific more details on this answer? Thanks!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
Can you be more specific more details on this answer? Thanks!
Most modern RVs have a high current relay between the battery and coach electrical system. When it is open the only thing that can charge the battery is the alternator. When on shore power or generator with that relay open everything in the coach works normally except the battery will not charge from the converter because there is no electrical connection.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #6

I do not pretend to be an expert on electrical/battery system. However, I will share with you a situation I recently went through in case it may be of help to you.

The AGM battery in my Roadtrek Zion went completely dead, probably as a result of leaving a 12V appliance running. Plugging in to shore power did not recharge the battery. After contacting my dealer, I learned my inverter has a shut-off mechanism that was triggered when the power went down below a certain level. This was preventing the inverter from charging the battery.

To solve the problem, I was instructed (and it worked) to connect a battery booster to the inverter. There are positive and negative post connections just like a regular auto battery. Once the inverter read a full charge, it then would override the shut-off mechanism and recharge the AGM battery.

Hope this helps you or someone else!
ronsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks to all for suggestions. I do know how to use a voltmeter and it was because of these readings that I posted this question. However, I did discover that one reading was misleading me due to current being delivered to the coach via the chassis battery rather than the coach batteries. Furthermore, I found a troubleshooting guide for the power center from Progressive Dynamics that led me to further investigation, upon which one test failed. Hence, I will be taking the coach back to the facility that installed the power center tomorrow.

The post regarding the battery contactor is also a possibility due to the fact that I did have to replace it in the last year. I had thought that all problems were solved upon its replacement, consequently I did not take that into account. However, since the problem seemed to occur before the replacement of the power center, I am wondering if it is the problem.

Cold weather has prevented me from doing very much troubleshooting, but after tomorrow, I should be able to update you on the situation. Again, thanks to all!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Unhappy

I should have posted a response to this thread a long time ago. The problem occurred due to an improper installation of the converter by the RV service technician. He forgot to connect one wire! Thanks to the troubleshooting guides from Progressive Dynamics and their illustrations, I was able to convince the technician to dig deeper into the problem. He reopened the area and found the unconnected wire! How does one find good technicians anymore???
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I should have posted a response to this thread a long time ago. The problem occurred due to an improper installation of the converter by the RV service technician. He forgot to connect one wire! Thanks to the troubleshooting guides from Progressive Dynamics and their illustrations, I was able to convince the technician to dig deeper into the problem. He reopened the area and found the unconnected wire! How does one find good technicians anymore???
Old 06-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith View Post
Better late than never.

I always worry about the quality of repair work. Seems hardly any do it right the first time anymore. Be glad you were persistent.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach batteries, not charging, shore power