Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default DC connections

Is there a standard for DC outlets in an RV? Right now it looks like the old cigarette lighter outlet or possibly the USB outlet. What do others use when upgrading or custom building a new class B?

I have been trying to install Anderson type connectors (https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-pane...erpole-housing) as a replacement to the existing cigarette fitting.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
Is there a standard for DC outlets in an RV? Right now it looks like the old cigarette lighter outlet or possibly the USB outlet. What do others use when upgrading or custom building a new class B?

I have been trying to install Anderson type connectors (https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-pane...erpole-housing) as a replacement to the existing cigarette fitting.

There do appear to be two different versions, at least there were on our 07 Chevy. One is the old high power one for the lighters and the other a 12 power outlet. We had trouble with out adapters not staying in the lighter one, so removed the lighter one and put in a GM one like the existing one, so it fit right in with same connections.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I've looked around too and came up with your 2 observations: cig lighter and usb. We have an aux cig lighter socket in TV cabinet that was used for an old TV that we removed. It's now the place where we, via a simple USB adapter, to charge our devices.

Seems as most appliances/devices that can run on 12v or 120v have as their 12v connector a cig lighter plug. I guess you could cut them off and fit
connectors to fit the socket in your link.

I'd be too lazy to do that since our use of 12v devices is rare. Mostly USB as
I mentioned. We do have a wimpy 12v hair dryer but run it off the engine battery (via the cig lighter socket) with the engine running. I've heard that 12v drip coffee makers are very slow and that would be our only other use.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Put in cig lighter sockets and plug a USB adaptor into each one. Problem solved.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I used these plugs for electrically heated motorcycle outfits. High current and very reliable. https://www.amazon.com/Cllena-Powerl.../dp/B01J7E5CLQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dfsdf.jpg (77.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg sshshsw.jpg (81.2 KB, 17 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Put in cig lighter sockets and plug a USB adaptor into each one. Problem solved.
This. Anderson wouldn't be recommended as there isn't a whole lot of support in the after market. You can get a 12v socket adapter for just about anything. Anker makes flush mount USB ports for both A and C type USB, so I've just been adding the socket and adding what I want.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies. They confirmed my belief that there is not much interest in DC connections for travel/transportation vehicles other than connection to the starting batteries. The biggest advance inside the vehicle since the cigarette lighter socket is the 5 volt USB socket. To confirm this I looked at a Tesla. While not a cigarette lighter, it has a cigarette socket.

I have a couple electrical items that require a little current with their 12 volts. While some of the plugs that fit in a cigarette socket meet my needs, they are just a big ugly way to do it.

I suspect that other options will come to market in the near future as larger voltages become standard and replace the 12v.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Got me thinking. Here's an interesting link.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/boat...cepticals.html

Probably other marine vendors handling this kind of stuff as well.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I've had problems with cigarette lighter socket reliability--especially if traveling on bumpy roads and/or devices that use more than a few watts. Much less so with Marine grade sockets and plugs. They're available from Amazon and others for about $6 each.

I've used a lot of Anderson Powerpoles and they've been reliable even when exposed to the weather which isn't recommended. They can handle 30A (if the wires on both sides are capable.).

It easy enough to cut off the cigarette lighter plug from a cord and install PowerPoles. (Unless the plug reduces or regulates the power!) I also made a PowerPole to Marine grade cig-socket for use when needed.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

Default DC connections

While driving we just use the front 12 v. plugs for charging and gps.
In the back I finally put in a 1500 watt inverter wired directly to the house battery. We can charge phones, run hair dryer or other 110 v. equipment from it. I run the engine for the hair dryer.
searangered is offline   Reply With Quote