Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #21
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
creating a battery from the same kind of batteries Tesla and others use, the ubiquitous 18650 kind of battery?
I think those are prone to thermal runaway and to use them in an RV you would need a sophisticated thermal management system like the Tesla has.
Gary Rudolph: Tesla Thermal Management System
rectalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #22
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectalogic View Post
I think those are prone to thermal runaway and to use them in an RV you would need a sophisticated thermal management system like the Tesla has.
Gary Rudolph: Tesla Thermal Management System
Not sure I explained, just the battery 'pack' or whatever you call it. The 'sophisticated' stuff can be in different physical places. But yes, the builder needs to have a solution for 'everything'.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Not sure I explained, just the battery 'pack' or whatever you call it. The 'sophisticated' stuff can be in different physical places. But yes, the builder needs to have a solution for 'everything'.

Bud

Actually, because lipos get hot during their normal use, there is no escaping an integrated cooling system in a battery that large. Of course, your laptops and small devices don't have these systems, but you'll notice they get hot to the touch.

This is why the kid's hoverboards are banned on airplanes now, and bulk shipments of lipos are banned. They have been known to self-discharge spontaneously and get really hot in the process, causing fires.

In my estimation, a battery large enough to be useful in an RV would require a cooling system and therefore make the battery pretty bulky and heavy.

Not sure what's inside Tesla's Power Wall batttery. It's fairly large and I'm not sure I'd be really comfortable with having that in my garage.

LiFEPO4 batteries do not heat up when they are being used. You might measure a 1 or 2 degree rise - certainly nothing you can feel with your hand. Even a large one like my 600AH unit stays cool under severe discharge. Inherently safe in that regard. What I'm not entirely sure of is how safe they are if the casing is punctured. There could be arcing danger, but is that any worse than acid being sprayed around or the arcing that can happen when a lead-acid or agm battery is impaled with something?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
Platinum Member

There has been numerous reports from un-named high ranking officials that these batteries when operated close to your head will cause brain cancer, cause beer to go flat and high pitched flatulence.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:11 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
There has been numerous reports from un-named high ranking officials that these batteries when operated close to your head will cause brain cancer, cause beer to go flat and high pitched flatulence.
Don't forget the impotence!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote