Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default expensive trip with electrical/battery issue with a RoadTrekRoa

Hi, money already spent for repairs but would like to have some advise if I made the right choice. Please give me your opinions. 2006 Roadtrek 21 ft Versatile. Travelling at the time. Everything is working. Start generator all good but it doesn't power anything. Then I notice the inverter is not charging the batteries. Then I lost everything only shore power worked. Couldn't even run fridge if not plugged to shore power. Took the RT in said I needed a relay. That fixed the generator powering stuff but the batteries were not charging then they said I needed a new inverter. Long story short they put in a battery charger no inverter as I think it never worked from when I had the unit as I never powered coffee pot etc without the generator.
Is this wise to just have the battery charger and no inverter. The cost for this was $1185.49 including the labour. Second issue the light (original) over the sink blew a fuse, got a new fuse and it blew also so I am thinking is this just a coinsident? What would cause the light to blow the fuse possibly the small switch is faulty? Third and last thing the sewer hose sprung a leak (lovely) I got quite the surprise when I crawled under the unit ( am 5'3" petite women) and almost got stuck under there! I measured with a string the hose is 37' long and the leak is by the door that slides in and out. The hose is in great shape but the pull out door must at some point cause movement to cause this small crack/hole problem. I was wondering if anyone has tried to repair by putting a hard pvc pipe in and clamping between the accordian stretch? Replacing this entire hose would be time consuming and I can imagine what the labour would cost me!
treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treker View Post
Is this wise to just have the battery charger and no inverter. The cost for this was $1185.49 including the labour. Second issue the light (original) over the sink blew a fuse, got a new fuse and it blew also so I am thinking is this just a coinsident? What would cause the light to blow the fuse possibly the small switch is faulty?

I have a new 2017 Travato and there is no inverter in the unit. I don't know how much you saved by not replacing the inverter, but it's not necessary, unless you have an RV without a propane system. I make coffee in the morning using the stove.

As far as the light is concerned, it could be the switch, wiring, or a bad light socket.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Did you try any of the following first:
Press reset breaker on Onan?
Press reset breaker on Tripp-Lite inverter charger?
Lightly tap the Intellitec battery disconnect just in case it was stuck?

Was it a relay or the automatic transfer switch that was replaced?

Your '06 would likely have had a 750W inverter/charger. Due to the design of the overall system, the inverter part was only meant to power things like a TV etc. and not the Microwave oven.

A light blowing a fuse would indicate a short I think or maybe a very loose connection causing high amperage. I'd first visually inspect the bulb socket and wires there. If you have to pay to get it fixed then do it - better to be safe than sorry. The fuse is a safety device and it would appear that it is doing its job.

You can get a sewer hose coupler - https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39203-I.../dp/B000BQYK6I - to use with two large hose clamps if you have space for it.

The price you paid seems high but we don't know what parts were installed. I'm assuming you agreed to the loss of the inverter in your RV. I'd be quite upset if they took that away without my permission.

The TV was 120V AC in the Roadtrek I had - no inverter = no TV. I think Winnebago uses a 12V DC TV.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
I have a new 2017 Travato and there is no inverter in the unit. I don't know how much you saved by not replacing the inverter, but it's not necessary, unless you have an RV without a propane system. I make coffee in the morning using the stove.

As far as the light is concerned, it could be the switch, wiring, or a bad light socket.
Thanks so much for you info. The amount I saved for no inverter was approx $1100.00 they didn't say if this included labour. I really didn't ever use the inverter and maybe that is why I didn't even know it didn't work. I did I guess use it to check the load I was using and also the level of my batteries as I do watch my gauges. I know I can check battery levels on the read out panel but it just has lights and I sometimes wonder if it is reliable( like the holding tanks showing 1/4 when empty etc). I use to read my manual and couldn't understand what they were talking about with the inverter as without shore power or generator basically only the lights and fridge worked.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Did you try any of the following first:
Press reset breaker on Onan?
Press reset breaker on Tripp-Lite inverter charger?
Lightly tap the Intellitec battery disconnect just in case it was stuck?

Was it a relay or the automatic transfer switch that was replaced?

Your '06 would likely have had a 750W inverter/charger. Due to the design of the overall system, the inverter part was only meant to power things like a TV etc. and not the Microwave oven.

A light blowing a fuse would indicate a short I think or maybe a very loose connection causing high amperage. I'd first visually inspect the bulb socket and wires there. If you have to pay to get it fixed then do it - better to be safe than sorry. The fuse is a safety device and it would appear that it is doing its job.

You can get a sewer hose coupler - https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39203-I.../dp/B000BQYK6I - to use with two large hose clamps if you have space for it.

The price you paid seems high but we don't know what parts were installed. I'm assuming you agreed to the loss of the inverter in your RV. I'd be quite upset if they took that away without my permission.

The TV was 120V AC in the Roadtrek I had - no inverter = no TV. I think Winnebago uses a 12V DC TV.
Thanks so much for your reply.
The only thing I did for the Onan generator was start it and check to see if a fuse was blown from the monitor panel as it was working just not powering.
The inverter I reset several times as per the manual instructions for trouble shooting.
The Intellitec battery disconnect if it is the on/off button at the monitor panel yes i did this several time.
The parts installed were new auto transfer switch new battery charger with new 110 plug( plug didn't look new at all but probably needed it as the charger needed to be plug in and there was no receptacle like that as it was in the inverter as one.
I will try the hose coupler sounds just like what I did. I probably can do this myself.
I ordered a new switch for the light as they think this is the problem?
I never use the tv even when on shore power. I do enjoy my coffee but usually start the generator.