Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

Default extension tube for generator

I want to extend the reach of the generator exhaust pipe 3-4", just for peace of mind. The pipe OD is 1 1/8". I need something that is heat resistant that I can attach as I need it, say, with a hose clamp.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bob
banjerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: extension tube for generator

For 3 or 4 inches maybe a piece of EMT electrical conduit pipe. Onan sells a Chrome Tailpipe Extension part # 046–00631 but it is described as being 1-1/2 inch O.D. x 10 inches long. The smallest generator in the compatibility list is Onan 5000.

Another option might be an Onan Resonator:

If you only need 3 or 4 inches maybe visit a muffler shop to see if the can put on a "gas tight" extension for you. If your Onan is under warranty it would be best to stick with Onan parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onan res.JPG (115.0 KB, 655 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Platinum Member

A couple of options that might work: The Onan is 1 1/4" OD tubing on the 2.8KW genny.

McMaster Carr (and your local metal supplier) shows aluminum tubing that is 1 3/8" OD with a .058" wall that will give you a nominal 1.259" ID. Not pressure tight at that size, but there is no pressure that close to the end, and would be removable, which is probably what you want so it doesn't get hit. .009 is not much clearance so it would fit pretty snug, I think.

1 1/4" copper water tubing is a bit bigger ID. I think about 1.275" IIRC. That would be a little looser, and might leak a little, but not much.

You might also find an exhaust tip for a go cart or quad at a local power sports shop.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Markopolo, Thanks for the post about the resonator. I have been trying to find out for several months whether or not is is compatible with the lp genny what the part number is, etc. Your info answers that perfectly. This winter sometime I'll put one on ours. Thanks again.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Just a thought, one of the things I try to do if I know I'm going to be running the generator for any length of time is to park with the generator side of the RV, (or exhaust pipe outlet side), downwind.
I know wind can shift over the hours, but this has always worked for us

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Would a Gen-Turi work? It uses the chimney effect to pipe out generator exhaust above the RV, dispersing it well above windows.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

It appears you are looking at a permanent installation but just a word on something that would not be a permanent installation is a flexible aluminum tube that if you remember back in the 70's, cars had a flexible tube that went from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner. This can be fastened with a hose clamp
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote