Old 10-23-2016, 02:36 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I'm a bit surprised that both AC and DC contacts in the switch would go bad at the same time. If the circuit diagram I'm looking at is correct, your unit uses a single thermostat for both AC and DC. If the thermostat fails, both of them would stop working at the same time.
The problem should be troubleshooted further to determine the exact problem: either a faulty thermostat or a defective switch. As mentioned previously, if it is the switch, perhaps it can be repaired.
William

WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #12
Gold Member

Thanks for the many informative responses: I apologize for not acknowledging them before: I am not receiving notifications for some reason - do I have to subscribe to a post I initiated??? My preferences are set to receive them.

I have decided to take hbn7hj's advice and buy a new RM2354, in view of the age of the old one.

I have been thinking about the many complaints that Dometics don't cool well. I have not used the one I have: I am renovating a 1964 RoadTrek Popular, and I don't know how well the current reefer cooled.

I would not be surprised if they don't cool well in that model RoadTrek, because it only has one vent, and that is at the bottom of the reefer. There should be one at the top also, because heat rises and there is a lot of dead space for it to accumulate in.

Moreover it requires two vents for proper air circulation, one taking outside air in and the other exhausting hot air and that flow is likely to be sluggish. I plan to add the second vent, and any baffles that are necessary, and also install an extractor fan on the top vent to create a much more aggressive air flow, and better cooling. I may also add a smaller fan that draws outside air from the lower vent, and directs it across the cooling fins.

People who have added circulating fans often report excellent results, but they never say if they have dual vents: I expect that those who are the happiest with addition of a fan do have dual vents.

Seeking Knowledge, Dreaming of Wisdom
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Thanks for the many informative responses: I apologize for not acknowledging them before: I am not receiving notifications for some reason - do I have to subscribe to a post I initiated??? My preferences are set to receive them.
::

Check your spam mail folder.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #14

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the new one takes DC power to work so you need to allow for that. A 30 amp relay in the heater circuit controlled by alternator output would be convenient. No need to change anything when stopping for gas. You would have to do those mods yourself.

RicaIii is offline   Reply With Quote