Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I wasn't clear with what I was saying at all ....... I'm 100% for taking care of things. If we have fun doing then it is not work

I meant babying them by not applying a conditioning voltage or almost equalizing voltage. It's confusing in that some manufacturers say never equalize and others say it's fine. Babying was the wrong term to use I guess.

Could we think of it as a balancing charge? It would be higher than the typical 14.4V.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I kind of like the balancing charge, because it likely does that, as well as maybe a "topping charge" as it gets that last couple of % of charge, so you don't lose it over time.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #23
Site Team

Random thought:
The serial port of the Trimetric monitor outputs battery voltage, current, computed SOC and a second voltage (e.g., chassis voltage), among other things. It would be a fairly trivial Arduino project to automate the monitoring and control of the isolation relay in any way that you see fit. If you are not into Arduinos, some kid down the street is.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Random thought:
The serial port of the Trimetric monitor outputs battery voltage, current, computed SOC and a second voltage (e.g., chassis voltage), among other things. It would be a fairly trivial Arduino project to automate the monitoring and control of the isolation relay in any way that you see fit. If you are not into Arduinos, some kid down the street is.
I actually talked to Bogart about that a few months ago, as a recommendation for a product improvement. I asked for a a set of dry contacts off of the "battery full" indicator, which uses time at voltage and ending amps to trigger. They thought it would be a good idea, but were busy with the new solar stuff, so it would be a while, if they did it. I think it would be a very nice addition to the unit. I wanted it to control the separator in our setup.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I wasn't clear with what I was saying at all ....... I'm 100% for taking care of things. If we have fun doing then it is not work

I meant babying them by not applying a conditioning voltage or almost equalizing voltage. It's confusing in that some manufacturers say never equalize and others say it's fine. Babying was the wrong term to use I guess.

Could we think of it as a balancing charge? It would be higher than the typical 14.4V.
Now I got it (a little slow here), we are currently too easy, by not hitting them harder. Yes, we are, most likely. But more aggressive could be worse if done wrong.

Along the same line--Lifeline wants at least a .2C charge rate if the batteries are repeatedly discharged. Lot of folks don't have that much shore charger or solar, and many not even that much off the engine. I have seen someplace else, I think, that was wanting .4C for the same reasons.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I'm tempted to do a "balancing" charge for 1/2 hour once per month or once every three months. I've seen it refered to a a "boost" charge also. Maybe take them to 14.8V.

Here's more re: AGM fast charging also referring to Linden's Battery Handbook: http://www.powerstream.com/SLA-fast-charge.htm
Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess they decided to change things sometime after you asked about if the rooftop solar would maintain the starter battery. I don't see how it can now without the separator. If you find out differently let us know.
it cannot. the zion has 2 separate electric systems they never had it any other way if you get engine generator. if you get Onan you get the standard way

i'm now looking at OBD2 port small solar trickle chargers
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's a good one for you to read Gerry. If you see higher than common charging voltages occasionally when plugged in then that most likely means Roadtrek followed the published Northstar recommendations when setting up the inverter/charger parameters.

The other PDF file also notes thin plate technology and how it accommodates faster charging.
Mark-my point was you are quoting figures from a report that is using tppl batteries
Old 06-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
it cannot. the zion has 2 separate electric systems they never had it any other way if you get engine generator. if you get Onan you get the standard way

Oops, I must have missed that discussion. I just remember the ones where we figured the roof solar or being plugged in would maintain all batteries when the van was parked in storage.

Good to know the differences between the two Zion's.

And thanks for pointing out the second report was about Northstar batteries using thin plate technology. I was trying to show a trend in higher charging voltages being recommended for AGM batteries.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Suggest you consider a Trik-L-Start. Clean, simple, cheap and effective.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Suggest you consider a Trik-L-Start. Clean, simple, cheap and effective.
is that a solar panel

i need to use solar-no electric available

something like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IXXT4HQ/...I3K72XH56IGE89
Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #32
Site Team

It steals a little power from your coach charging system to charge the chassis battery. I was assuming you had solar for the coach.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:31 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
It steals a little power from your coach charging system to charge the chassis battery. I was assuming you had solar for the coach.
i do-would it be diifficult to hook up
Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 AM   #34
Site Team

http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html