Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 01:55 AM   #1

Default Fuel Cell instead of (or added to) Solar/Genset

Why not use a fuel cell unit to recharge or directly power your batteries? Not sure how to incorporate this with an Air Conditioner.

The largest Efoy unit makes 105kw apparently.

I've actually seen one of these running at this store here in Seattle.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/efoy...dc-151-000-212
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
Why not use a fuel cell unit to recharge or directly power your batteries? Not sure how to incorporate this with an Air Conditioner.

The largest Efoy unit makes 105kw apparently.

I've actually seen one of these running at this store here in Seattle.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/efoy...dc-151-000-212

That link says it is a 105 watt not kilowatt. 105kw would be huge.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The Efoy would have a lot of users if the fuel was reasonable in cost and available. It is neither.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The Efoy would have a lot of users if the fuel was reasonable in cost and available. It is neither.

The spec on 2.64 gallons of fuel is supposed to give 11.1 kw-hours of use. Which doesn't seem too bad. That is $75/ 2.64 gallons.

And yes, it is 105 watts.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:22 AM   #5
Platinum Member

This is good review of the EFOY system for boating use complementing solar system. https://www.panbo.com/testing-the-ef...ort-fuel-cell/

“While the amp hours are expensive — the tested 210 model retails for $5,899, and the company’s methanol fuel costs roughly $10 per 100ah — I’m convinced that an EFOY Comfort could be a very pleasing addition to many cruising sailboats and trawlers, especially as a complement to solar power. The installation, operation and EFOY economics are detailed further below, but first I’ll share a graphical use story.”

It is not cheap, alcohol is expensive, and running lifetime is about 5000 hrs. so cost of running without alcohol is 1.2 $/hr. It is reasonably good system for low energy users if solar harvesting is insufficient.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Methanol is toxic too. I think we first started talking about the EFOY units about 8 or 9 years ago here on the forum. I remember reading that gloves were required when handling the fuel.

I think there are several folks on the forum just waiting for the right fuel cell to come available.

Re: air conditioner use - you'd run the A/C off batteries and the batteries would recharge a bit when the A/C compressor cycles off. You'd probably run the fuel cell continuously and you'd still need a fairly large battery bank.

EDIT: I just looked at the EFOY unit in the OP's link - only 8.8A at 12V DC - that wouldn't help much with running an A/C - maybe 2 hours extra runtime if you ran the EFOY for 24 hours .........
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Try sourcing the EFOY fuel in some other town like Oklahoma City. By the time you add hazardous material charges and shipping charges you may as well kick the unit into the trash bin.

If you could source the fuel from a local chemical company it would be more practical but no one has commented about that. The thought is the purity spec is pretty tight.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Lab or racing grade methanol will likely be OK, clean transfer to a correct container could cause potential safety and contamination problem, but, it think it is manageable.

http://www.methanol.org/wp-content/u...ety-Module.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: png methanol.png (185.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png methanols.png (436.4 KB, 12 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
The spec on 2.64 gallons of fuel is supposed to give 11.1 kw-hours of use. Which doesn't seem too bad. That is $75/ 2.64 gallons.

And yes, it is 105 watts.

$75 / 11.1 = $6.76 per kWh. Typical residential rates are maybe $0.15 per kWh. This is maybe 45 times more expensive! One would have to be desperate to use this device for air conditioning.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #10
Silver Member

I, too, think a fuel cell makes sense in my Banff; however, I want a propane fuel cell. Those are now being sold, but I'm waiting for the next generation, which should be more efficient. This is a link to Watt fuel cells, but I don't think they are ready yet. https://www.wattfuelcell.com/
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegoldfield View Post
I, too, think a fuel cell makes sense in my Banff; however, I want a propane fuel cell. Those are now being sold, but I'm waiting for the next generation, which should be more efficient. This is a link to Watt fuel cells, but I don't think they are ready yet. https://www.wattfuelcell.com/
Unfortunately, unless things have changed very recently, the WATT units are not yet available for retail sale. Their rollout was going to be via EHGNA. We know how that turned out. I have my fingers crossed that they will survive this bump in the road.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote