Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default generator exhaust

I have heard of putting a PVC pipe on the tail pipe of the generator to take the fumes farther away. Has anyone done this and what size pipe did you use? Do you seal it tight? I don't want to get to small and increase backpressure and lower the power or cause overheating.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think you'll find your generator's motor manufacturer will advise against adding anything to the tailpipe that wasn't there when new. It has to do with back-pressure and other things that can at the least void warranties and at the worst do damage.

As to PVC pipe as an exhaust extension. What temperature rating does the material have? What outgassisng does it add when hot?

Just something to think about. I had occasion to use my little Honda generator this last weekend when a storm took the power out at the house for two extended times. Kept the 'fridge and freezer cold where neighbors lost their food.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Silver Member

When I bought my RV, the seller tossed in this 10' long articulated connector. It has what look's like a 1970's era lawnmower muffler welded on the end.

I have yet to use it, but he said it works well removing fumes from the onboard generator.

I might give it a try sometime, if there's too much backpressure, the worst that would happen is it'd cause the generator to stall.

I wouldn't use plastic anything for an exhaust extension, though.

Chip
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I wouldn't trust using PVC piping on an exhaust. The heat could cause it to melt and create one bad smell.

I just had a new furnace installed in my house. It's one of those really high efficiency ones that can use PVC pipes for the exhaust. New codes no longer allow PVC piping to be used. They now have a special white pipe that costs a lot compared to the old PVC. PVC was not rated high enough for the heat so it's no longer allowed to be used.

I was curious how the exhaust on these new furnaces work so they can have PVC pipes for exhaust. The gas burns like any regular burner. The exhaust is then put through a large coil in the return air of the furnace. This cools the exhaust so it can go into the plastic piping. Considering the exhaust from a generator is coming straight off the exhaust manifold, I'm sure it would be far to hot for the PVC piping.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #5
Silver Member

Default Generator Exhaust

I have used a PVC assembly for a couple of years now with no problems. I don't use it for the same use you describe though. I use it in my garage during the winter to vent the exhaust outside when my Roadtrek is stored for the winter. I believe in faithfully exercising the generator every 30 days, and this set-up allows me to do that without pulling out of the garage. The PVC elbow that I use has to be a larger diameter than the generator exhaust for this to work properly. It pulls air into the joint you slip over the exhaust pipe and this keeps all running cool. If it were tight fitting, the PVC would get hot and even begin to melt. I can run this for hours at a time under a load and reach down and grab the plastic pipe and it is only pee warm or less. If you want to give me your e-mail, I will send you some pictures of the set-up I am using. It works very well inside of a building, so Im sure for exterior use you would be very pleased.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:21 PM   #6

Default I'd like to see your pvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I have used a PVC assembly for a couple of years now with no problems. I don't use it for the same use you describe though. I use it in my garage during the winter to vent the exhaust outside when my Roadtrek is stored for the winter. I believe in faithfully exercising the generator every 30 days, and this set-up allows me to do that without pulling out of the garage. The PVC elbow that I use has to be a larger diameter than the generator exhaust for this to work properly. It pulls air into the joint you slip over the exhaust pipe and this keeps all running cool. If it were tight fitting, the PVC would get hot and even begin to melt. I can run this for hours at a time under a load and reach down and grab the plastic pipe and it is only pee warm or less. If you want to give me your e-mail, I will send you some pictures of the set-up I am using. It works very well inside of a building, so Im sure for exterior use you would be very pleased.
. I would like to see this set up thanks. mjmarotta@comcast.net
Mjmarotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:22 PM   #7

And type of pvc also. Thanks
Mjmarotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I must be getting old!

Thought everyone knew of the Genturi.

https://www.amazon.com/WEILEITE-Gent...88309485&psc=1

Works great, by the way, if you are in a crowded, event type, situation.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote