Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Generator in new Class B Pleasure-way Lexor

Hi:

I am new to this forum and also a new Pleasure-way Promaster Lexor owner. I've been reading everything I can find about our new motorhome. I have a question that I have not seen discussed anywhere - perhaps someone on this forum can provide information. We started camping in a tent, then a tent trailer, 14 foot trailer and now have the motorhome. We have never used a generator and do not want to use our generator in the Pleasure-way Promaster Lexor. My questions are: Can we drain the oil and propane out of the generator, pull the fuse from the panel that allows the remote start of the generator and just not use the generator? It would be almost like placing it in storage. Are there other things we would have to do to the generator so that it would not be damaged due to not using it? Would we need to remove it from underneath the motorhome? If we need air conditioning we always go to a campground where we can have shore power. We do a lot of "dry camping" and never used a generator with our 14 foot trailer. We just don't want to deal with the maintenance of the generator when it will never be used. Thanks for any information on this topic.
lexortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Generator in new Class B Pleasure-way Lexor

Simply do not use it.

IF it already has gasoline flowing to it- put a petcock/valve inline on the fuel line...do this when the Van fuel is below 1/4 tank and the fuel line pick up should be above the fuel in the tank.
run the genny...turn off the petcock so no fuel supply...then let it run until it stalls.
( that's with gasoline- gas sitting in the float bowl will gum up the carb)

...if propane, then just turn off the fuel supply.

the genny is best "stored" with clean new or low hour oil in it.

if you get somewhere and need to use it, turn on the fuel supply, then start it up.

if you are not using it hit the starter for 20 seconds every once in awhile, that'll splash some oil on the parts. I run my starter maybe 2 or 3 times a week.
You may want to consider a screen to keep bugs out of the exhaust.

If you want to save on fuel/ weight you could remove and store it.
but do store with it oiled.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:04 AM   #3
Site Team

A) It was my understanding that the reason Onan recommends "exercising" the genset regularly has to do with corrosion buildup on the commutator. "Just not using it" (or, unfortunately, any of the proposed storage modes) would seem to be problematic if this is true. Perhaps removing it and storing it in a dry place might be better. Or, perhaps coating the commutator with dialectic grease? Dunno. I would call Onan on this one.

B) OP mentioned that his or her genset is Propane, not gas. I know of no reason why it would be helpful to "run dry" a propane genset, since it does not spoil the way gasoline does.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I would suggest just pulling it out, putting in a couple shots of oil in the spark plug hole, and bagging it up in a good thick plastic bag sealed best as you can, then store it in a dry spot up off the floor of your garage/basement.
People that are in the classic car restoration business or ownership of them do this all the time with engines to no ill effect. This is especially true of a propane genset which "drains" itself of the propane as soon as you loosen the supply line. It a vapor gas at that point

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Site Team

As I said, I believe the issue is not the engine, but the commutator on the generator. Squirting gas in the spark plug hole will not help that, and experience with storing car engines isn't relevant (except perhaps the fact that car alternators don't suffer from this problem).

I do not know how real this issue is. I am just repeating the Onan party line.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If you don't run this generator and attempt to re-sell it at some point-the generator usage will be questioned by a knowledgeable buyer. usually at least 2 hours a month worth for each month had.

of course non-knowledgeable buyers and sellers say low onan hours are good.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You can store it for up to six months if you fog it (Onan sells OnaGard, a special fogging oil just for this purpose.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexortravel
Hi:

I am new to this forum and also a new Pleasure-way Promaster Lexor owner. I've been reading everything I can find about our new motorhome. I have a question that I have not seen discussed anywhere - perhaps someone on this forum can provide information. We started camping in a tent, then a tent trailer, 14 foot trailer and now have the motorhome. We have never used a generator and do not want to use our generator in the Pleasure-way Promaster Lexor. My questions are: Can we drain the oil and propane out of the generator, pull the fuse from the panel that allows the remote start of the generator and just not use the generator? It would be almost like placing it in storage. Are there other things we would have to do to the generator so that it would not be damaged due to not using it? Would we need to remove it from underneath the motorhome? If we need air conditioning we always go to a campground where we can have shore power. We do a lot of "dry camping" and never used a generator with our 14 foot trailer. We just don't want to deal with the maintenance of the generator when it will never be used. Thanks for any information on this topic.
Hi, welcome to this forum. I totally agree with taking out the generator. Your rig will be lighter and more fuel efficient. Do you have enough solar and house battery capacity for your dry camping stays? What do you like best about your new rig?
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #9

We ended up contacting Pleasure-way and they told us we had a gasoline generator. The dealer we bought the motorhome from told us it was a propane generator. Being total novices at generators we never questioned what the dealer had told us. Anyway, Pleasure-way strongly recommended we not remove the generator. We are disappointed that we cannot remove it. Thanks to everyone for the great responses.
lexortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #10
Platinum Member

You may learn to love that generator. Know one says you have to use it all the time. I too dislike running a generator but do on occasion and do so sparringly.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Actually, if you are going to travel extensively in the South, you may want to run the overhead air conditioner while you travel. To do that, you'll need to run the generator. The cab air will only really cool the front of the van.

Best advice is just to get familiar with how it works and run it either sometimes while you travel, or a couple hours a month with a load on it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote