Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #1

Default Generator maintenance / Removal - 1994 Roadtrek!

Generator maintenance! To start with, good luck. Roadtrek, at least in my 1994, mounted the generator so that it is impossible to service. The access door is barely the size of the internal Onan access door. The spark plug access is completely blocked and you might be able to replace the fuel filter if you are lucky. II think someone cut a piece off the lower hose, so I was unable to put in the new filter.

I decided to pull the whole think out and replace the plug, filter and all fuel lines. How to get it out? Disconnect all electricity and battery cables. Take the wooden covers off everything on the drivers side rear. take the cover off the auto changeover box and disconnect black, white, and green wires. Pull them back through to the generator compartment. Disconnect the +12 wire and pull it back through ( you may have to cut off the connector). Disconnect the remote control connector and the fuel line.

Under the coach, remove the muffler, and four bolts that hold the genset down. Here is where you find out that the genset will not move. By the way it weighs 113 pounds. I pried and pried and it would not move. Finally, looking at the oil drain, I could see a lot of sealant and started picking at it, getting out as much as possible. I then reasoned that they has sealed the whole bottom to the coach. Get a hydraulic jack and some cribbing. Jack slowly putting pressure on the oil drain plug. Eventually it will break loose, with some help by prying through the access hole. With it still on the jack put two loops of rope around the thing and go find your strongest friend and pull the thing out.

With it on some cribbing on the ground you can now do your "routiine" maintenance. Remember how you took it out, because now you have to reverse every step. I am not impressed with roadtrek for their mounting system or Onan for their unmanageable maintenance procedures. I'll let you know if I ever get it back in.

Thanks - - Jack
K1smm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Generator maintenance / Removal - 1994 Roadtrek!

Only a man with supreme patience could withstand your adventure - I envy your ability to do it correctly and get it down and out! On the other end, you will really get satisfaction in knowing you will be able to do "routine maintenance" in the future....not to mention twinkle in your eye when it lights off in the future. I think we all will be waiting to hear your final "analysis" ha. Ron
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Re: Generator maintenance / Removal - 1994 Roadtrek!

Not any better removing same from a 1995 Xplorer. I cannot understand for the life of me why the access door is not big enough to pull the gen. out and it has to be taken off. Also to remove the wiring. I just happened to notice after searching for the longest time. A small access panel inside the storage compartment under the rear of my vehicle. After removing the small sheet metal cover you have to sticking your hand in the little opening to unhook. I am now having problems again with gen and think I will just do without for a while.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:16 AM   #4

Jack, did you ever get your generator back in and running? I'm considering doing this as mine only runs with the start button pushed and puts out no voltage. I think it's got voltage regulator/slip rings issues. Thanks!

1994 Roadtrek Popular - Dodge
robertiles is offline   Reply With Quote