Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Default Generator on/off switch?

I'm having trouble getting my Onan 2800 started on the Roadtrek I just purchased. Today I went to get the oil changed on the van and noticed a 1/4 turn switch under the hook that was labeled Generator. And on the switch it has on and off. Any clue what this switch is for?
Bukrub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Generator on/off switch?

In the engine compartment?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

Yes. Under the hood on the drivers side mounted to the firewall.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I wonder if it was added by an owner sometime to allow you to start the generator from the chassis battery?
Are the attached wires thick like 6 gauge?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #5

I will look a little closer at it. They are heavier gage if I remember right. It was defiantly added as it not stock. But it's done very clean. I havnt learned all the working of the camper yet and probably won't need the generator the way we camp. But I'm too OCD to allow it to remain unstarted.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It could be dual purpose; allow the generator to be started by chassis battery & also allow the chassis battery to be charged by the generator if needed.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukrub66
But I'm too OCD to allow it to remain unstarted.
And indeed you should start it regularly. It will avoid problems down the road. That way, you'll have time to be OCD about something else
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Unless the generator's connections to the coach battery were removed, the added chassis battery connection shouldn't affect the ability of the generator to start. The generator only needs 12V DC power from one or both coach batteries to start, if I'm not mistaken?

What year/model is your Roadtrek? Always useful info when troubleshooting. You can edit your profile under the User Control Panel, and add it in under "My RV", so it's always visible.
Check the cable connections on the coach battery. You might have to tug or wiggle them to make sure the cables aren't corroded inside the clamps. Repair/replace any suspect connections.
When the battery enable switch is in the "enable" position, is there power to the rear/coach lights, will the furnace fire up, will the TV and/or the Fantastic Fan work? If yes, then the coach battery DC power supply is functional and the battery has some state of usable charge. Hopefully enough to turn the generator over.
Does the generator try to start, splutter a few times, but then die? Sometimes you just have to be persistent and keep trying. Let it turn over for 10 seconds at a time, to get fuel to the Onan's carburetor, especially if it's been sitting for a long time. The fuel line from the gas tank to the generator may be dry or even partially plugged.
Is there enough gas in the vehicle's fuel tank? Must be well over 1/4 tank to feed the generator.
Is there enough oil in the generator? Won't run if not enough oil. There's a little threaded dipstick inside the casing. A removable panel allows access to it. Be careful not to break it off or drop it into the casing. They're very difficult to retrieve from inside the Onan's casing.
Try starting the vehicle's engine to supply a charge to the coach battery(ies) while trying to start the generator. It may help if the coach battery charge level is low.
Lastly, you might want to try Sea Foam in the fuel system as an additive, or I've had some luck adding fuel stabilizer to the fuel system to help de-gunk the carburetor.
If all else fails, maybe a service center can help.
http://power.cummins.com/onanpowerWeb/o ... ication.do
Old 11-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply. It's a 1993 Roadtrek 210 Popular. As far as I can tell, everything works. All lights, furnace rear AC, refrig, all function normally. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel pump issue. It cranks no problem, but not getting any fuel. Tank is 3/4 fuel. I disconnected the fuel line below the filter and cranked it over several time. No gas coming out. I was gonna pull the Gen out and mess with it, but the wife thinks I should just take it in. I can't get to the fuel pump with it in the camper. It has plenty of oil. Before pulling the lines I had removed the bowl and cleaned it good. Filled it with cab cleaner and sprayed a bunch down the throat. It started right up but immediately died. Damn camper place can't get in in for 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Nice model. Good year for them I think.
So, it's not a plugged fuel filter, then?
If you have a small air compressor, you could try blowing compressed air through the fuel line, in case the line is plugged inside the main chassis fuel tank. If the unit sat for a while with less than a full tank, there may be debris blocking it in there, too. You've narrowed it down so the problem is between the fuel source (main tank) and the carburetor, if it tried to start/run just on the carb cleaner spray.
Demontrond has a location in Conroe, I see. They are/were an authorized Roadtrek Service Center, not too far from you. I haven't updated my list in over 2 years, so I'm not sure if they still do authorized Roadtrek repairs. They probably do Onans, though.
I think most of us on here understand OCD.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
Platinum Member

On my rig I have a shut-off valve for the fuel system. It is located where the genny fuel line meets the main line from the tank. It is visible on mine but maybe not on yours, you may have to feel for it instead. Good luck.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote