Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 02:32 AM   #1

Default generator size

My camper van comes with a 2.8Kw Onan generator. How much can that actually run? I was thinking of replacing it with a 4KW generator to make sure I have enough electricity when I need it.

Do you usually run the genrator at night in the summer to keep the a/c on?

thanks

Charlie
livedj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: generator size

It will run your air conditioner, all your lights, TV, your coffee maker and refrigerator with no problem. What else is there? The microwave? It will probably run that too simultaneously, but if not, just a little common sense can adjust to that. Can a 4KW generator fit in a Class B?

Depends on where you live, where you travel and how you live in your B. I rarely run my generator. Mostly it is to turn it on to brew coffee in a dry camping situation or to top off batteries in extended dry camping situations. We live outdoors as much as possible in camp and have screens both side and back. Most of our travel is spring and fall in the south and north in the summer. If we encounter oppressive heat in our travels we camp where there is an electrical hookup which is common in many state parks now.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedj1
My camper van comes with a 2.8Kw Onan generator. How much can that actually run? I was thinking of replacing it with a 4KW generator to make sure I have enough electricity when I need it.

Do you usually run the genrator at night in the summer to keep the a/c on?

thanks

Charlie
Very few manufacturers (including Onan) recommend running the generator while sleeping, due to the risk of CO poisoning. However, many still do run their generators and A/C while sleeping, and justify it (arguably) in a number of ways, so it's up to the user to decide whether the risk is worth the reward. Sleeping near someone else's running generator is also potentially dangerous, so keep that in mind. Davydd's methodology is probably a safer approach. Open the windows and doors where possible, and be safe.
Not sure if a 4KW generator will fit where the 2.8KW is mounted. Maybe start there, if you think you need the extra power, but the 2.8 is probably fine to run your existing equipment, unless you're planning on adding extra load to it. Most 2.8KW Onans will run the A/C and the M/W, if started in that order.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

In a real life situation I doubt you would overload the 2.8kW Onan. Sure, if the coffee maker is going, the A/C, the toaster and then you decide to use the microwave, you are likely going to trip the Onan's breaker. But then, you probably have 30A shore power, so you would blow the campground pedestal breaker with what I just described (if not using the Onan).
The 2.8kW Onan has a maximum output of 23.2 Amps. If you can live with the 30A shore power, you can probably live with the 23A Onan power.
Why not just live with it for a while to see if it meets your needs?
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

In our B the loud air conditioner is over the bed and the vibrating generator is under the bed. I doubt I would ever try sleeping under those conditions.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
g1g
Platinum Member

As the manual states, you can run the microwave and AC as long as you start the AC first. I wouldn't run the coffee until the microwave is done or the coffee is fully done before starting the microwave. A few lights shouldn't matter.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

If you have an absorption fridge, put it on propane. I learned that they do consume a surprising amount of electricity when their electrical burner is in use, and it might be enough to overload your generator.

As for replacing with a 4000 watt model, I'd not bother. The dimensions almost likely will not make it possible, especially with the very limited room underneath a "B".
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Saw a couple of QG 4000 Onans today while visiting some area RV dealers, and I'm sure they won't fit where a 2.8KW fits.
When stationary, it is always a good idea to run the fridge on propane. Much easier than AC, when shore power isn't available, or DC which will kill a coach battery in no time.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #9

I have a 2.8 Onan in my RT Ranger. It will run everything including the coffee pot.
hornetv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetv6
I have a 2.8 Onan in my RT Ranger. It will run everything including the coffee pot.
Gawd, I hope so. Coffee is the most important thing.

The question is can you turn on lights, run the air conditioner, refrigerator, microwave, TV, hotwater, heater AND the coffee pot all at the same time. Usually you will pop a breaker trying. It is usually the AC and microwave that has conflict with the Onans in Class Bs. It is nothing you can't manage with a little knowledge and experience.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
In our B the loud air conditioner is over the bed and the vibrating generator is under the bed. I doubt I would ever try sleeping under those conditions.
One would have to be awfully tired for that. But, the a/c noise by itself comes in handy with the occasional noisy neighbor.