Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Post Generator suddenly quit

After running a few minutes, my Onan 2800 genset suddenly quit as if turned off. I have run it at home monthly as recommended and had previously been serviced. When trying to restart it, absolutely nothing happens, not even a click. Any suggestions how to proceed? Where to check, etc...
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith View Post
After running a few minutes, my Onan 2800 genset suddenly quit as if turned off. I have run it at home monthly as recommended and had previously been serviced. When trying to restart it, absolutely nothing happens, not even a click. Any suggestions how to proceed? Where to check, etc...
Might want to use the start button on the generator itself next.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Wasn't sure at first what you were talking about from the title.

There is a breaker you can try to reset on the generator inside the case opening. See p.12 on the manual for '2009 models.

file:///C:/Users/Roy/Documents/Motorhome/Onan_KVFA_Generator_Operator%20Man%202009.pdf

More trouble shooting on p.23

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out that I panicked, but it seems that I still have problems that I thought had been solved. The genset has previously had the shut down problem that I have discussed in previous posts, requiring multiple restarts before running without dying. I took it to Cummins and they said the problem was the automatic choke needing adjustment . Fuel filter was replaced, choke adjusted, and I paid them $600. Everything seemed OK until today, the first time on the road. The no start problem was from dead coach batteries that I thought were charged up, which brings up another problem, but I hope will be solved with a long drive.

BUT while writing this post and after running the genset for over 15 minutes, the genset started surging for a minute or so and died. I have never had it act this way , but it does restart without surging. I will see how long it lasts. It certainly seems to be a fuel problem. Any suggestions other than spending another $600+? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
Gold Member

Sounds like you have more than one problem going on.

When the generator is running it should be charging the coach batteries so for you to have dead coach batteries it suggests the genny wasn't charging things when it was running or the batteries are toast or something else is draining the batteries.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Further update Genset Stops Running

Further update..after completing the above post and the genset resting a few minutes it started fine, ran for 5 minutes, started gasping for gas (what I previously inacuurrately described as surging) for a minute and died. It will not immediately restart until a few minutes, but will eventually restart and again run for about five minutes and the cycle repeats. At least before having the choke adjusted, once it ran for a minute or so it would keep running. Frustrating!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

D&J Phillip's- I agree. But batteries are new. However due to problems having the battery charger, converter, and distribution system incorrectly replaced before this trip, they have been discharged in cold weather. The batteries are truly down per the hydrometer, but no dry cells. I have not been driving much the last few days but have plugged in for about 5 hours two days, using an external charger. I am confident the charger is now correctly installed but not confident about the current storage capacity of the batteries.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Does your gen have the low oil cut-off and is the oil topped off?

What is your fuel source, gasoline or propane? If gas, make sure your tank level is above 1/3 since it is designed this way to prevent your generator from running your tank empty and stranding you. If propane, check to see your tank is not empty.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Fuel level is 1/2 tank but do plan on filling up
. I will check oil level. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Gold Member

rowiebowie is right and another possibility regarding the fuel supply (if it is running on gas from the van tank) is the fuel line itself. Ours is a 1999 Xplorer and I had the same symptoms a while ago and replaced the fuel pump on the Onan and it still died after short runs until I found that the rubber fuel line from the van tank to the genny had build-up/blockage in it (could actually feel the obstructed area by squeezing the hose). I replaced the entire 20 year old fuel hose from the van tank to the genny and no problems since.

Chasing these kind of things requires patience and a certain amount of luck sometimes.
Dave
Old 02-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Restricted fuel line sounds like a real possibility. Did you have to drop the genset to replace it? I cannot even replace the fuel filter without dropping it. My unit is a 2002 Dodge. I will need to investigate. Maybe I can replace the line up to the genset and splice there. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #12
Gold Member

I had removed the genny to replace the fuel pump and the exhaust gaskets which made it easy to access the fuel line. But if I was just replacing the fuel line, I doubt I would have to remove the generator to do it. In my Xplorer the genny is in a compartment with a side door so you can access the genny from the side and do not have to go under the van like I have seen some set-ups so I guess it would have to do with how yours is configured.

Dave
Old 02-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #13
Platinum Member

The mystery gets deeper as today the genset worked fine, never lugging down or dying for over an hour. The only thing that was done was the driving of the van for over a hundred miles, a few of which was fairly rough pavement. Hopefully something got dislodged and the problem is resolved. Time will tell!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
rowiebowie is right and another possibility regarding the fuel supply (if it is running on gas from the van tank) is the fuel line itself. Ours is a 1999 Xplorer and I had the same symptoms a while ago and replaced the fuel pump on the Onan and it still died after short runs until I found that the rubber fuel line from the van tank to the genny had build-up/blockage in it (could actually feel the obstructed area by squeezing the hose). I replaced the entire 20 year old fuel hose from the van tank to the genny and no problems since.

Chasing these kind of things requires patience and a certain amount of luck sometimes.
Dave
My 1997 van conversion had 20ft of bad fuel line and the previous owner had the generator replaced in 2003. He said he had problems with it after the generator was replaced. I replaced the hose and each 5ft section was bad you could seal one end and blow in in it and it would leak. Replaced, put and in line filter and it started right up. Cost $30.00. Fuel lines don't last forever.
ng4comz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #15

I as well had problems with my Onan Microlite. I dropped it, changed out the carb and fuel pump and bench ran it. All good. Remounted, and went my merry way camping. Then, I had the recurring issue of running a while, then shutting down after 5 minutes and less than 1/2 load. I'd use the van until I was ready to drop it, trying to start it again to see if I could detect anything to point me in the right direction. And it started right up and ran with no issues. Multiple times.

Turns out there's only 5 gallons in a 30 gallon tank when the guage reads 1/4 full. The fuel line into the main tank is closer to the physical quarter way point in the tank. And I've had times when I've run the tank below 1/4, fill up, then dry camp. There were bubbles in the genny fuel line causing it to run and shut off. It would eventually run if I repetitively cranked it, but now I just make sure to fill up and drive 20 miles before I use it.

Quirky, but Galactica is 20 years old and has "character".
Trash-to-Treasure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genset quit