Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Generator wires!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all, I have a 1988 Dodge Xplorer B camper Van and i am installing a transfer switch . I opened up the J box on the 30 amp. receptacle from the generator and the three colored wires are white , Brown and there's a light yellow one that i think is the ground or neutral , because that wire in the back go's to the round or u shape hole in the front of the receptacle . I want to make sure here are some pictures. So what is the Brown wire and white wire. Thanks for your advice. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Gen. J box 001.jpg (194.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg RV Gen. J box 002.jpg (183.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RV Gen. J box 003.jpg (181.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RV Gen. J box 004.jpg (117.3 KB, 11 views)
machado11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

This is what you need:

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Use pin location of original wiring for wire definition and see if that works. Color is obviously not correct.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks, i will try that and test . back then in 1988 i guess they use other color wires. just like in the house wiring i see they use brown , light yellow and red ,black.
Thanks again, John
Old 01-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

As a general rule there is one wire in the set called the identified conductor and it is required to be white - this is the neutral. Normally zero volts to ground.

When there are two different systems in an installation the wires will have two different colour codes. So in an RV, red and black are used to identify 12v and some other colour and white to identify the 120 volt. Green, or sometimes yellow, for ground. Ground wiring is strictly there for safety purposes and does not factor into powering loads.

In 3 phase systems (commercial/industrial) red, black, blue are the 'hot' wires in the 120/208v and orange, brown, yellow are for higher voltages (347/600 or 277/480). The higher voltages are used in building to enable the installation of smaller sized wires for the larger loads (or to be able to put more lights on one circuit etc).

Control wiring, on the other hand, doesn't have to have specific colours.

Probably more than you needed to know but maybe helpful to understand the reasoning on wire colours.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
As a general rule there is one wire in the set called the identified conductor and it is required to be white - this is the neutral. Normally zero volts to ground.

When there are two different systems in an installation the wires will have two different colour codes. So in an RV, red and black are used to identify 12v and some other colour and white to identify the 120 volt. Green, or sometimes yellow, for ground. Ground wiring is strictly there for safety purposes and does not factor into powering loads.

In 3 phase systems (commercial/industrial) red, black, blue are the 'hot' wires in the 120/208v and orange, brown, yellow are for higher voltages (347/600 or 277/480). The higher voltages are used in building to enable the installation of smaller sized wires for the larger loads (or to be able to put more lights on one circuit etc).

Control wiring, on the other hand, doesn't have to have specific colours.

Probably more than you needed to know but maybe helpful to understand the reasoning on wire colours.
The yellow wire is the ground i see where it go's to the 30 amp. pin Thanks for all that infor. John