Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Governor or carburetor.
Low speed jet is partially obstructed. Run it and soak it a few hours with Seafoam in the fuel.

Just an opinion.
That sounds about right is there an adjustment for the governor and does it need special equipment to do it?
Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc1977 View Post
That sounds about right is there an adjustment for the governor and does it need special equipment to do it?

I would try the Seafoam treatments for while before messing with the governor, which is a bit complex to do well.

As mentioned, add Seafaom to the gas tank at the cleaning rate, which is double the storage rate, then run it at as full a load as you can get for at least 10 minutes. Shut it off and let it sit overnight to give the Seafoam time to work. Repeat procedure until it runs smooth or quits changing how it runs, maybe 3 cycles. Also let it idle a while before stopping to cool it down and get fuel through the low speed circuits.

If it still surges, try moving the altitude adjuster to a lower altitude and see if that helps.

If it still is surging at low load, then it may be time to play with the governor, but you will need a tach on it or a frequency meter to tell what speed it is running accurately.

Do you know if it is running at the right speed under load currently when it is running smoothly there?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I would try the Seafoam treatments for while before messing with the governor, which is a bit complex to do well.

As mentioned, add Seafaom to the gas tank at the cleaning rate, which is double the storage rate, then run it at as full a load as you can get for at least 10 minutes. Shut it off and let it sit overnight to give the Seafoam time to work. Repeat procedure until it runs smooth or quits changing how it runs, maybe 3 cycles. Also let it idle a while before stopping to cool it down and get fuel through the low speed circuits.

If it still surges, try moving the altitude adjuster to a lower altitude and see if that helps.

If it still is surging at low load, then it may be time to play with the governor, but you will need a tach on it or a frequency meter to tell what speed it is running accurately.

Do you know if it is running at the right speed under load currently when it is running smoothly there?
No it just sounds smooth I have no meters and like others .can t find a reliable shop.
It only has 95 hours on it. So I think you are right that it is the carb. Will get some
seafome and try your procedure ,thank you.
Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

It is the idle jet, obviously not the main jet. I'll bet and give 4:1 odds that the Seafoam will solve the problem. Me, I would do as booster mentions with the emphasis on idle jet then kill the engine and forget it until time to use or exercise the obnoxious thing again.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:07 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith View Post
I am having exactly the same problem with the same genset. A previous poster had the same problem and he suggested replacing the fuel line to the genset, as it worked for him. As I recall, he had already replaced the fuel pump to no avail. I have my coach at the repair facility right now and am having them replace the line. However, it is his belief that it is the fuel pump, agreeing with others. But, replacing the fuel pump requires dropping the genset down from the chassis and the owner of the facility did not want to do that. So, if the fuel line replacement does not help, I will have to try another place for the fuel pump replacement. I will try to keep you posted on the results.
Well, as I promised I will try to keep you updated. The RV service facility decided not to even replace the fuel line due to "limited clearance" (???). So we started on our trip anyway without a properly functioning genset. However today, a week and 1800 miles later , I decided to try the genset. It now runs perfectly!!! The only difference I can see is 80 degree temperature compared to 65 degree temperature. Any ideas?
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #26
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

I have no idea sorry.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith View Post
Well, as I promised I will try to keep you updated. The RV service facility decided not to even replace the fuel line due to "limited clearance" (???). So we started on our trip anyway without a properly functioning genset. However today, a week and 1800 miles later , I decided to try the genset. It now runs perfectly!!! The only difference I can see is 80 degree temperature compared to 65 degree temperature. Any ideas?
Thanks for the update and congratulations. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

Now an update to my post about thinking my generator was losing power while running because the air conditioner would shut down. I thought I had a new problem in addition to the occasional generator stumble and quit. What I discovered, however, was it was simply the power control center doing it's job and cutting the air conditioner when it sensed too high a load.

This had never happened before, but I believe it was related to the new inverter/charger and lithium battery install. I had just installed the lithium batteries and they were not fully charged. The new inverter pulls up to 75 amps of charge (nearly twice the old Tripplite was capable of) and I think the additional charging and inverter demand was more than the power control liked. I changed the setting to reduce charging to 45 amps.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #28
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

That's above my pay grade. Glad you figured it out. For once was not an Onans fault.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #29

I replaced the fuel pump and it works well. I have a 1997 B3500 Roadtrek. One guy said that his Onan sounded like a Harley Davidson and I agree with him. Do you know of anyone who has replaced Onan with a Honda generator?
jorge
jorgesweb@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I added two tubular lawn mower type mufflers to my Onan 2.8 generator and it really quieted it down. It slightly louder than my Honda EU 3000iS.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:24 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgesweb@yahoo.com View Post
Do you know of anyone who has replaced Onan with a Honda generator?
jorge
Nope, can’t be done with a Honda 3000 ‘cause the cylinder is vertical. The cylinder on a Yamaha 3000 is horizontal and might have possibilities. Haven’t looked at Champion. You need to start with an electric start generator.

There is business for someone that puts an inverter electric start generator in an Onan 2800 case.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #32
Platinum Member

I sort of replaced an Onan with a Champion electric start inverter with remote start/stop key fob. By sort of, the Champion is usually mounted on my cargo trailer tongue, movable to a trailer hitch luggage platform if traveling without the trailer(virtually never). Two years on, it still works well.

I had mounted an external fuel pump for the Onan and have re-purposed that with a hose long enough to reach the genny to refill the tank(the only negative). I wired a trailer light connector to the fuel pump and simply plug it into the trailer connector and turn on the parking lights to power the pump.

The area where the Onan use to be has been re-purposed for battery(ies). I'm currently running one group 27 as that works fine for me but could get 4 6 volt batteries with a little different configuration. I believe Booster has done that, and perhaps others.

With the exception of running the A/C or microwave the genny is seldom used. Two years old and about 80 hours on it.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.8, generator, genset, microlite, onan