Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Go Power 3000w MSW invrter

Just bought a 2015 GWV with the above inveter, the microwave which was anemic last night while plugged in blew up when I just tried it with the inverter. Should I have concerns about just replacing the microwave. What experiences have you all had.
jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Some microwaves don't like the modified sine wave, especially if they have digital controls. MSW will also give less total output because of the wave form. If you can find a plain old style crank timer microwave, you might be better off.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Interesting. What exactly do you mean by "blew up"?

All things considered, I'd expect a 3000w inverter to power an RV-sized microwave.

FWIW, in my 2004 Sprinter-based Class B, it is not possible to run the microwave off the coach battery, only when connected either to shore power or when the Onan is running.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Well, to be honest, there is a reason why that style of inverter costs $400 and a marine-grade PSW inverter of the same size costs 4x as much. You might find a MW that will work fine, but it is a roll of the dice, I think.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:34 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Interesting. What exactly do you mean by "blew up"?

All things considered, I'd expect a 3000w inverter to power an RV-sized microwave.

FWIW, in my 2004 Sprinter-based Class B, it is not possible to run the microwave off the coach battery, only when connected either to shore power or when the Onan is running.
"Blew up" = flash of light flowed by puff of smoke from the right side part way back, and then nothing.

Bought a new microwave from Wallyworld, the box was a bit rumpled and maybe opened. Turned the power on that one and it buzzes and gives a 88:88 indication which the maker's website says indicates a power failure and to hit the "clear" button which this unit doesn't have. I hit them all and the buzzing continued. I've thoroughly checked the circuit and tried it on other circuits with no change. What are the odds I got a bad one someone else reurned, oh, about 100% seems reasonable. Tomorrow I'll get a different one.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:39 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Well, to be honest, there is a reason why that style of inverter costs $400 and a marine-grade PSW inverter of the same size costs 4x as much. You might find a MW that will work fine, but it is a roll of the dice, I think.
Avanti; yeah I get that. I'm trying to survive until I can assemble a complete package that will allow at least a few hours of AC. Whether it will replicate yours or be a bit more is awaiting a clearer picture of my usage pattern. The coach is non-propane with a Rixen system and a compressor fridge, a good start.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I suggest that you replace the MSW inverter with a sine wave inverter before you blow up another microwave. www.theinverterstore.com would be a good plave to start. Avoid places like truck stops for this kind of equipment.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You might try the microwave plugged in in the house and see if the problem is with it or the inverter.

Sorry, I just noticed this is several days old post.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Thank you all for your help. Indeed the "replacement" was dead as proven by a replacement exchange at Walmart which now works fine if not a little buzzy when operwting. A replacement inverter is needed since my induction hot plate refuses to work off the current msw inverter.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

That was the same with my induction plate and the TrippLite. I thought it over and decided that the only things I needed the inverter for was a toaster and a coffee pot...TV is 12Volt, I canstart the gennie if I need the microwave. It has worked well for me.
Carefully evaluate your needs before spending big bucks on a new inverter.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:45 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
That was the same with my induction plate and the TrippLite. I thought it over and decided that the only things I needed the inverter for was a toaster and a coffee pot...TV is 12Volt, I canstart the gennie if I need the microwave. It has worked well for me.
Carefully evaluate your needs before spending big bucks on a new inverter.
If your devices connected to a MSW inverter are strictly resistive loads, there will not be a problem although it will take longer for toasters and coffee pots to complete their sequence because of the lower RMS value of square waves. The problem is that even though the heaters in coffee pots and toasters are purely resistive, most modern devices like this have an electronics package that can provide errors in instructions when powered by square waves and in the worst case can suffer damage.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
Platinum Member

All electrical and electronic device are designed for smooth sine wave from AC power line reaching our homes. Some loads like electronics, induction are more sensitive to rough Modified Sine Wave more appropriately be called Modified Square Wave inverters than already mentioned clean resistive loads.

The only reason to produce MSW inverters is low cost, the starting point for MSW were cheap square wave buzzing beasts. See this article for more info. Oscilloscope picture show true profile of MSV. https://www.altestore.com/blog/2015/...he-difference/

So, if you can just use sine wave inverters.
Attached Images
File Type: png MSW vs Sine.png (396.2 KB, 5 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
Platinum Member

IIRC most of the MSW inverters also lose even the semblance of the true sine wave as load increases, eventually being essentially a square wave by full load.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Which is why I carefully selected units without timers or other electronics.

I would never buy a MSW inverter, but I analyzed my requirements and decided not to change out the MSW inverter/charger based on my current usage.