Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #1

Thumbs down Heater replacement in 1998 Roadtrek 200 V

Would new style heater in 1998 Roadtrek 200 Versatile cause isolator to burn out? My RV service person replaced original heater with new heater this winter of 2016/17. Isolator burned out after one day of driving (May 5) altho heater not on. Any cause and effect?
dgbmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nope, but detaching the wire to the coach batteries from the isolator may have damaged the isolator. There is no need to do that so maybe he didn't and if he did the isolator probably failed due to age.

In any case it would be your responsibility to replace the isolator, not the vendors. Stuff happens. Just an opinion.
Harry 2003 C190P
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #3

Smile

Thank you, John, for your reply. New isolator is on the way, and, yes, its an old RV. In addition to age, I fear chipmunks were at work also. I was just fishing for any other possible explanation as it stopped running 3 times in my cross country drive and each of the 3 service techs had a different cause. Now the Roadtrek is at Doc's Auto Service in Rantoul, IL and they did find the burned isolator and are replacing it and checking even further back in the electrical chain for other problems. Cheers, Donna
Old 06-01-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A Roadtrek 200 is a different animal from the average Roadtrek. Have you found your coach battery yet? Maybe a 1998 is even different from the 2000's that I have seen.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Exclamation 1998 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

Yes, the auxiliary battery is accessed below the wardrobe. The 200 Versatile was a Roadtrek experiment. The only really good thing going for it is the 7.4 Vortec or Big Block engine (454 cu in). I can accelerate going up I 70 on the west side of the Rockies. I have never found a mechanic, except at Van City in St. Louis, who can figure out how my RV is put together. And I have never needed to concern myself about that issue until this last trip. Then, after talking to Sean, a 30 year person with Roadtrek, did I understand why. Before 2006 Roadtreks used converters and isolators. After 2006 Roadtreks use inverters. What mechanic is going to know that except a long time dealer?
Cheers,
Donna
Old 06-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbmunger View Post
Yes, the auxiliary battery is accessed below the wardrobe. The 200 Versatile was a Roadtrek experiment. The only really good thing going for it is the 7.4 Vortec or Big Block engine (454 cu in). I can accelerate going up I 70 on the west side of the Rockies. I have never found a mechanic, except at Van City in St. Louis, who can figure out how my RV is put together. And I have never needed to concern myself about that issue until this last trip. Then, after talking to Sean, a 30 year person with Roadtrek, did I understand why. Before 2006 Roadtreks used converters and isolators. After 2006 Roadtreks use inverters. What mechanic is going to know that except a long time dealer?
Cheers,
Donna

Inverters?

Do you mean those 3-in-1 combo units?

ie the converter, charger and inverter all in one box?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #7

Smile 1998 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

Hey fellas, You'll need to talk to Sean at Roadtrek for a detailed explanation. All I can tell you is what Sean told me: Pre 2006 Roadtreks had CONVERTERS, not INVERTERS. It was the isolator in my Roadtrek that died. Cause: old age, chipmunk chewing and nesting, both? After I pick it up, all fixed I hope, I will learn more.
Donna
Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 AM   #8
Platinum Member

It was actually a kind of gradual blend in of the upgrades in 2007 and 2008 era. At least for the isolator to separator. I think the change to the the inverter chargers came earlier than that by a few years, but I would have to look for sure. If the specs say 45 amp charger and 750 watt inverter, you have the newer system and it is a white 10'' approx cube. If you have two big cable connections for the power under the hood for the coach, it is the newer separator, if it has 3 big cable connections it is an isolator.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1998 roadtrek 3500 chev, heater