Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Default Install new generator?

howdy. I'm looking at purchasing a used roadtrek 170. I've come across some nice ones that do not have the optional onan generator. What is a good source for a generator for this rv and approximately how much does a pro charge to install? Were they prewired from factory? I'm looking at a 1997 now.
thanks!
sy
sholom770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Figure out if you have the room for a stand alone Honda generator and if the 2000 watt version will run what you need, like the A/C. It very well might. It will be quieter, more reliable and easier to service. If you're clever, you might be able to carry it where the Onan would have been although you might have to remove it to run it. If it were me in your position, that's what I would get. Onans suck.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

Great idea, thanks for that tip. My only concern is that when I'm boondocking I may be leaving the vehicle unattended for a short time. The Hondas sell for around $1200 and I'd hate to have it stolen. Is there a way to secure the gen somehow? thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Will you need to run the generator for air conditioning or is it just for charging batteries and running the microwave oven?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You can get the Honda for more like $1000 and sometimes a little less. The Champion inverter gets high marks also, but it's less power (1700 watts) but maybe enough. That one's $650 or $1100 for 3100 watts, both inverter type.

Honda or someone makes a steel reinforcement for the handle so cutting through it because you chained it to a tree is not the easy job it once was, but personally I would never leave it unattended for very long.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #6

I'm thinking of using generator for ac. Likely will not be using microwave at all. It looks like in '97 the ac was 7500 btu model with the roadtrek 170. I saw a youtube of a guy starting the 10,000 btu ac unit and running it with one honda 2000 generator.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Is there any such thing as an inverter that will start and run a 7500 btu ac? would be nice not to have a noisy generator. thanks.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholom770 View Post
Is there any such thing as an inverter that will start and run a 7500 btu ac? would be nice not to have a noisy generator. thanks.
Sure, how much money have you got?

A Honda 2000 is a quiet as they come. You won't hear it inside over the roar of the A/C.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Yes there are many inverters that could handle that load.

The challenging part is what to power the inverter with - batteries or the van engine or a combination of both.

A Honda 2000 would be relatively quiet and would have great resale value. The hassles are carrying it and extra gas.

An Onan genset might run $3000 installed and would be the easiest to use. Push a button from inside the coach to start it etc. Noise & maintenance seems to be common complaints.

You might be able to install enough batteries utilizing the space allocated for the Onan to get 4 or 5 hours 7500 BTU air conditioner run-time but then you're faced with the challenge of recharging that battery bank in a reasonable amount of time. That would involve wiring upgrades and probably a larger alternator - plus an inverter.

My van is a '97 also and it is not going up in value so I try to limit what I spend on it.

You can always seek out a campsite with electrical hook-up when the temperature is too hot and you absolutely need air conditioning.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #10

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like the generator is the more practical way to go. Side question: If you are looking at 2 older class b's. One with onan generator and one without, all else equal, would you have a preference? It is nice to have the startup switch inside and have everything "factory". But the downsides of possible onan reliability and repair costs, plus age of unit outweigh the add on generator route and having to build a platform to accommodate new gen? thanks y'all!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quite a few folks have added Onans after hauling Hondas around for a while. A few have gone the other way, too. Very personal choice.

The Onan has the most advantages and disadvantages IMO. It is noisy and in need of careful maintenance (older ones are actually better that way), but very convenient to just push the button, no dangerous gas to haul, more output, no storage loss.

Hondas are quiet, still require some maintenance, but you have to haul them and the gas, lock them up, setup and pull start, only run a few hours per tank.

If you were just looking to do things like a microwave, I would say neither, but with the AC, you don't really have a choice in needing a generator.

We just removed our Onan, but we don't really ever run the AC. If it is that hot we will find shore power or go someplace cooler. Hiding from the heat in the van is not our interest. Folks with pets don't have that option. If we had to have a generator, it would be the Onan, but with reluctance.

Tough choice for you, but if you found a van with an older Onan (pre emission carburetor), that worked well, you would be in good shape as they don't clog up nearly as bad as the newer ones do.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Also, if you find a van with an Onan, low hours on the meter is not necessarily a good thing. They should be run every month for a couple of hours, so do the math. A 15 year old Onan with 15 hours on the clock is a riskier buy than one with a couple hundred hours on it.

If I had the choice of a van with an Onan I would buy it over one without just for the convenience. If I was adding or replacing, I'd buy a HondaYamahaChampion.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #13

Default generator and more

thank you Eric and booster for your replies and insight. So I see an RT 170 in another state. I found an independent guy there who could do an inspection for me. Would you ever consider making a 10k purchase out of town like that, without driving it? Even with shipping, the price seems reasonable, 97k on odometer for a '97. Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I like the idea of an independent inspection but I would never buy anything sight unseen of that magnitude. My experience is nothing is ever like what you imagined even if you had dozens of photos.

When I sold my 1972 vintage Airstream trailer I gave a very accurate description and posted photos of everything including the things that needed to be fixed like a nasty dent. I didn't think I held anything back. The eventual buyer came all the way from Salt Lake City, UT with his pickup. I'm not sure what he was thinking. Maybe thinking the trailer was better than the photos? We discussed that and he agreed what he was seeing in person was what I represented. He was hangdog distraught I think with his travel expenses. He made a comment to me, "If I come home without it my wife will kill me. If I come home with it she'll still kill me." He bought it. He was a young guy. I felt sorry for him. Without him asking after agreeing I knocked $500 off my price to hopefully save his butt and sent him on his way. It helped me too. I had my Pleasure-way Plateau already and no place to park it and was just as anxious to sell the Airstream.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #15

Thanks Davydd for your input. Makes a lot of sense. I think I'm leaning toward only looking at something that I can get to and drive. Great story, too! thanks,
sy
PS You have some nice equipment