Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Is this issue something you would expect if one was to replace a couple of factory AGMs with drop in Lithium batteries such as the recently discussed Battle Born brand?
Yes. The parts chosen just need to accommodate the two very different battery types.

The simplest solution does seem to use a combiner/separator/isolator that only combines the two dissimilar battery types when the engine is running. (ignition switch triggered)

A manual switch would be too easy to forget to use. You could have driven all day to only find out later that you didn't charge the house battery at all.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #22
Platinum Member

A quick search turned up the Cyrix-Li-ct - simpler than even ignition switch triggered !

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...n-230-A-EN.pdf

It connects at 13.4v to 13.9v (time based) and disconnects at 13.3v to 13.2v.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:30 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
A quick search turned up the Cyrix-Li-ct - simpler than even ignition switch triggered !

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...n-230-A-EN.pdf

It connects at 13.4v to 13.9v (time based) and disconnects at 13.3v to 13.2v.

That is an interesting idea, for sure, but I think it would be best suited for a standalone engine generator setup, or the voltage would be influenced by other loads from the van engine, headlights, heater fan, etc. Before we went to our severe over capacity on the alternators, it was very hard to know what was really going on with the batteries from voltage, and we had to use current to them. With a standalone alternator, I think it would be very slick with lithiums.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Does the alternator in a standalone engine generator setup require a battery in the mix at all times?

I guess the Cyrix-Li-ct could be paralleled with manual/automatic separator or diode type isolator. You'd then be certain to get some charge to the house Li battery.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Does the alternator in a standalone engine generator setup require a battery in the mix at all times?

I guess the Cyrix-Li-ct could be paralleled with manual/automatic separator or diode type isolator. You'd then be certain to get some charge to the house Li battery.

It appears that with a standalone you can control the output of the alternator by shutting off the field, which prevents the big connection spike. The regulator would continue to be powered. Once the field is off, you could shut off the output connection as long as you made sure the outlet connection was done first at reconnect and then the field. Blue Sea makes a manual switch that stages the on/off of the output and field that way, but I don't think they have an automatic version.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Just checking to see if Pleasure-Way ever offered or came up with a solution to this problem.

With drop-in lithium seemingly becoming more popular I'd expect to see more folks looking for a solution after discovering the same problem.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:10 AM   #27
Bronze Member

Quote:
Just checking to see if Pleasure-Way ever offered or came up with a solution to this problem.
I spoke with the no. 2 PW guy as regards warranty and general problems. He didn't really understand what I was telling him (perhaps my fault), so he transferred me to the electrical supervisor. The latter agreed that my conclusions were correct. Wow.

I then spoke with a tech sort at Sure Power, who also agreed I was correct. I asked if they had a device appropriate to the application. They don't.

I'm going to proceed with the ignition-energized relay solution. It's maybe $15 in parts and 30 minutes of work. It's a lot less bother than any other option.

I will speak with the chief PW tech poobah about it, however. Sooner or later they and other B manufacturers are going to be faced with recalls of their lithium coaches. It's incredible that an entire industry can be so blind.

Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Thanks for the update.

Victron's Argofet 200-2 isolator - https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...tery-isolators - might be an acceptable solution for Pleasure-Way to use.

It won't allow shore power charging of the chassis battery but many RV's don't have that feature.

The advantage of the Argofet 200-2 isolator is that there's almost no voltage drop so you get to maximize charging to the lithium house battery. The price of isn't too bad either.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #29
Bronze Member

Quote:
Victron's Argofet 200-2 isolator - https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...tery-isolators - might be an acceptable solution for Pleasure-Way to use.
Thanks for the link. Yep, that ought to do the job. I'll suggest it to them.

Larry
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote