Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Kwikee step question

I'm on the road with my partner Jean's brother - his Kwikee step has stopped working. Does anybody know the unit well enough to comment? Here are the symptoms:

If I pull the 4-pin connector to the controller, I have 12v on the big wire. If I open and shut the door, the step light turns on and off - that means that at least part of the controller is working. But if I pull the 2-pin connector to the motor, there's never 12v.

Since the engine is off and I can open and close the door, the steps should be trying to extend when the door is open. Since I never have voltage at the motor, what's the guess? - bad controller?
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I do not have one, but basic troubleshooting will get you started.

Leave unit connected, measure voltage at the motor. When nothing is happening you should have 0 voltage. Push/hold the button to lower the steps, you should get +12v. Push/hold the button to raise the steps, if you didn't change the probes you should see -12v.

If the voltage is there, then it's the motor that is bad. If no voltage then work backwards.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:05 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes, we already did that. There's never any voltage at the motor. There is voltage to the controller, since the under-chassis light turns on when we open the entry door and turns off when we close it. The 2 wires to the motor come out of the controller and aren't fused, so the chance of bad wiring is slim. That's why I'm guessing on a bad controller - but was hoping someone had already gone through this and knew something I should know but don't <g>...
ptourin is offline   Reply With Quote