Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Lithium Ion Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I know they originally announced lithium ion with the Etrek but I was under the impression no one actually bought one with that setup. I also see Jim Hammill stating that there can't be any retrofits with existing Roadtreks. That means the system is probably very extensively integrated throughout. In other words it is most likely not a drop in Smart Battery in place of an AGM.

Davydd-most existing roadtreks don't have the extensive battery systems that are currently available. I bet anybody that has a 1/2 or full e-trek package already installed 'might' have a chance at lithium batteries.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Where is the 'might' in Jim Hammill's statement?

Quote:
No, it won't ever be a retrofit.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Default Lithium Ion Battery

There is another reason that Roadtrek doesn't want to reveal details of their planned upgrades. Too many enticing upgrades would hurt sale of those sitting on dealers lots now. Like all the auto manufactures they want to keep their new models a secret.

ARV just doesn't have that issue as they build custom for each customer and have no real inventory to sell.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Yeah, but Roadtrek just spilled the beans on lithium ion. How is that going to go over? I think they have more up their sleeve on that Campskunk van. For one thing it appears they have installed way more solar than they need coupled with lithium ion batteries not to be doing something with air conditioning. Since there is none on the roof, I am guessing a 12V marine hull type installation inside. I'm aware of the avowed Campskunk claim of following seasons and climate to avoid air conditioning thus not needing it. I do much the same but then I am not full time and can plan a little bit more definitely. There are times you cannot avoid it like get invited to a B social in Kansas in July. Also, I find it hard to believe Roadtrek would go to the trouble of sending out an experimental testing B as sophisticated as they are claiming for development purposes without it, needed or not. So, they will tease and slowly spill more beans. It is hard to suppress a secret you are excited about.

Advanced RV had been testing lithium ion batteries for more than a year that I know of, maybe longer. Some stuff I knew about but not all. Last month they finally made a formal announcement about it and it is their standard package offering. There are some other things I know about deliberately, accidentally and sleuthingly. I know of some things tested that didn't pan out and some things I have been asked not to say anything about yet until proven. You can't not know a lot once you commit and visit the factory. They are pretty much an open book dealing with a lot of customers on a custom development basis. I'm continually surprised by the things other customers have brought to the table such as Aeronie's composting toilet. It seems like a community development effort pooling ideas led by a company that stays open to most all ideas. It's been kind of exciting. Since they don't have dealers to keep happy they can concentrate on customers.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Davydd- if it was anyone other than campskunk i'd agree with you. However he did remove the air conditioner from his 190 popular 3 years ago and didn't have issues with not having it.

having said that the coolcat can be mounted on the floor-some trailer manufacturers do that. My opinion is he does not have an air conditioner
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Gerry,

We will find out sooner or later. I look at it this way. Campskunk is testing for Roadtrek. If he weren't he would be able to speak freely about what is in his B. Since he is not, I wouldn't assume his personal choices play a role in his setup based on what he had previously and what he prefers. He has way too much solar coupled with Lithium ion batteries that Jim Hammill has indicated was a lot. With his comment I am thinking a lot more amp hours than what is going into the Etrek packages today because of the lighter weight, smaller size and location flexibility advantage; and if so, then way too much solar and battery just to run everything else. Hammill also boasted about 24/7 air conditioning, showed the mysterious metal box and said he was looking for a buyer by October.