Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

Default Lost power to sofa bed

I have a 2020 Roadtrek RS Adventurous (2009 Mercedes Sprinter). During our last trip we lost power to the sofa while we were adjusting it, and it is stuck midway between up and down. The switch is completely unresponsive. I’ve checked all the fuses I could find, including on the Inverter under the driver’s seat, and they all appear to be OK. Is there a circuit breaker or some other solution to getting the power back?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Tim to get out the volt meter and see where you have voltage and where you don't.

Just because a fuse "looks OK" doesn't mean that it is. Check with a meter. BTDT. There is usually a reason for a fuse to blow, i.e. drawing too much current. They can and do blow from vibration, also.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Tim to get out the volt meter and see where you have voltage and where you don't.

Just because a fuse "looks OK" doesn't mean that it is. Check with a meter. BTDT. There is usually a reason for a fuse to blow, i.e. drawing too much current. They can and do blow from vibration, also.

Our 07 Chevy had one of the auto resetting circuit breakers for the power sofa. It was in the same area as the inverter charger. Couple inches long plastic rectangle marked 40amps on ours with a couple of good sized wires to it.

It is very possible the sofa jammed and popped the breaker until it failed. As mentioned a volmeter working back from the switch would be a good start.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

Default sofa

Our 2 part sofa bed stopped working in our 2011 LTV Serenity. After swapping the motors I concluded that was not the problem. Assumed, incorrectly it was the switch which was an incredibly complex replacement due to location of wiring. In the end, finally discovered one of the wires had come loose from a connector. My lesson was to check the simple first and should have checked for power with my meter instead of assuming. Don't know if that will help in your case, but good luck resolving.
Sweetride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Good advice, but why do I have to teach myself that lesson over and over?

Glad you got it solved, and now you have a spare motor.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuit breaker, fuses, power, sofa bed