Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Multiplex Wiring - Pros & Cons

There is a rumor Winnebago will be moving to multiplex wiring for their Class B RVs very soon. The system would be similar to what is currently found on PleasureWay Class B's.

Is there any reliability data on the 'real world' reliability of multiplex wiring systems in RVs? It seems like a nice feature but not necessarily a must have.

Was there any mention of this from RV reps at the Hershey PA RV show?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

News to me. It would be a great upgrade and should simplify the wiring quite a bit. There is alot of small guage wiring in these vans, so you could save some significant copper and labor cost, as well as improve quality by way of not having as many electrical connections.

Pleasureway has been doing it for years now and I don't recollect a single complaint about it. All your high end coaches have this setup.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:56 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have not read any issues about it, and Airstream has been doing it for a while with few complaints.

My only issue is that if one has a model of A/C or other appliance, it breaks, and the brand is out of business, then there can be issues. However, oftentimes I just see people put in an A/C that has the thermostat on the lower part of the unit and call that job done.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
Platinum Member

i've read the word multiplex wiring many time but have no iksea what it is. please enlighten me.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Basically, all your electrical functions are carried over on 1 wire. Mostly I've seen this control the lighting, the water pump and the genset on/off. I've not seen AC or anything else run on it in a B.

This may give you an idea: http://www.thomasbus.com/_pdf/school-c2-simplify.pdf
Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I see a major problem 15 years down the road when one of the mux controllers go kaput. Not as simple as replacing wiring or fixing a broken wire. My .02.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

According to this Facebook photo by The Fit RV on October 9th, Winnebago is showing off:

Quote:
Doors are about to open at Pomona show 2015! Here's your sneak peek at the brand new Winnebago Era 170x debuting here today! Much has changed, multiplex wiring, hi-tech energy management system, Truma, and luxurious limousine-y cabinetry. Swing by and say hi!
Has anyone seen this in person yet? I guess this is why the Era's website is still under construction.

They have more photos here.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

A dealer shared with me pictures and provided details several weeks ago. Since they were not on the site, I did not feel comfortable sharing / posting them.

I will be at the show tomorrow.

Here is what I was told...

New interior Paragon with High Gloss Smoke/Dark Canvas cabinetry from Tecnoform with new hidden positive acting latches and new wall paneling
Additional interiors may be coming at later date, but wood will likely stay the same

Flooring appears similar to Crosshatch from Travato

New Captains chairs that appear more plush and contemporary subtle two tone Ultraleather

Bigger pedestal table that seats in rear wall of rear sofa

Firefly multiplex wiring

Optional Zamp 100 watt solar with tie ins both on the roof and patio side to add more panels

MaxxAir powered vent system with rain hood

Truma Combi hot water and heat source, 110V and LP

New Power Control System includes:
Lighting controls in addition to Firefly
Monitoring system, including tanks and charging
Powered bed controls
Powered awning controls
Powerline energy management
Auto start generator
Water Pump

New 3 burner range top with integral spill tray into the contemporary sink… this window uses the venetian blind

Dimmable LED Racetrack lighting around the interior coach living area and additional accent lighting under cabinets

Redesigned rear screen door with double strung pleated privacy and pleated

insect screens

Valances trim out the area

Under the bed now rests the fresh water draining and Truma Combi

No heat strip in AC

Alcoa true aluminum wheels now available with inner valve stems extensions

Chrome wheels also available

Rear patio LP connect passenger side rear

Newer Jensen home theatre in closet forward of the bed (similar to Travato stereo)

3 way refer
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
A dealer shared with me pictures and provided details several weeks ago. Since they were not on the site, I did not feel comfortable sharing / posting them.

I will be at the show tomorrow.
Have you seen this The Fit RV EMS system video at Winnebago TV? James says at the end that the EMS panel is being installed in MHs with the Truma Combi system but I don't see the panel in this ERA photo they took at the California show. It'd be great if you could ask about the EMS at the show. And remember, you cannot take too many photos or videos. They don't even need to be polished like James and Stef's.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Wow, these improvements to the Era are very exciting!

I figured they'd push the Era into a more premium space to differentiate it from the Travato - really a smart move.

Only thing I'd like to see added would be a compressor fridge and not the 3 way. Other than that, a really compelling offering.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
Have you seen this The Fit RV EMS system video at Winnebago TV? James says at the end that the EMS panel is being installed in MHs with the Truma Combi system but I don't see the panel in this ERA photo they took at the California show. It'd be great if you could ask about the EMS at the show. And remember, you cannot take too many photos or videos. They don't even need to be polished like James and Stef's.
That Precision Circuits Inc EMS he's been in Airstream Interstates for last five years. You can read details of how they work on the PCI web site.
120V Energy Management | Precision Circuits Inc.

It works well at shedding AC loads to prevent tripping a circuit breaker, with settings for 30 Amp, 20 Amp and generator power.

They also make a smart battery isolator and tank monitor systems.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
unless it has lithium batteries why does it need an ems
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

It has a system to shed load if you are going to exceed either 20 amps or 30 amps. You can set it to hold to 20 amps if you are on a drop cord (like in your garage) or to 30 amps if you have regular service.

With the Truma system, with both elements on AC, it can draw 1700 watts. With the other appliances running, you could theoretically exceed 30 amps, hence the EMS system.

I believe this system on the Era is that big LCD panel and they are not using the same control panel as in the Travato. Further differentiating the Era as a more premium offering.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Silver Member

Because I travel with a small family, the Layout of my 2016 59g is as perfect as it can be for my needs.

If they found a way to:
-get two twin beds in the Era 4x4, and
-make it a 4 season coach

I would be a buyer for certain

I am not interested in a $250k Outside van as a 4th vehicle, but a mass produced family winter camper with 4x4 in the 120-130k range would be a no-brainer. They would sell 2000 of them in the rocky mtn west.

I still like propane appliances, but I think i would sacrifice the 2.5 kW onan for a smaller capcity underhood gen.
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Well an Era 70A would get you pretty close for $100k-$105k out the door. You'd need to add some pipe insulation I suppose, but you'd have alot of money left to upgrade as needed.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
Silver Member

really? i guess I am missing something then.

Do you think i could seat 4 (1 car seat, 1 booster) and sleep 4?

If this is true, quite a revelation.

The 59g floorplan is just so exceptional for a small family of 4. (By small, I mean we are small people, Im 5'10" 170lbs wife weighs 105.)

I may have to start talking to my dealer.

I had offers on my travato for more than I paid.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #17
Silver Member

I stand corrected, I see the dinette sofa bed conversion in the 70a.

Its still not as nice as the Travato layout.

I am going to keep the heat on WGO to make 4x4 for families though.

In the mean time, that travato is absolutely amazing for the money. Just a great study in efficency and useability.

I hooked up the Sumos, some mud+snow tires, some Chains, and a good attitude- bring on winter.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:29 AM   #18
Platinum Member

[/IMG]
Quote:
It'd be great if you could ask about the EMS at the show. And remember, you cannot take too many photos or videos. They don't even need to be polished like James and Stef's.

Mother Nature Does Not Play In California. I5 to Pomona, CA - LA was shut down completely. Had to cancel my hotel reservations due to weather. The hotel did not penalize me.

http://videowall.accuweather.com/det...x_videowal_lin

The latest on mudslides that closed a California interstate (all times local):

6:20 p.m.

All lanes of Interstate 5 have been reopened, about 24 hours after the major north-south artery linking Los Angeles and Central California was blocked by a mudslide.

A spokeswoman with the California Highway Patrol says all lanes were cleared shortly after 6 p.m. Friday. Two southbound lanes and the northbound ones were reopened earlier in the day.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I'll be at the show tomorrow. But, I'm going to analyze build materials, techniques, fixtures, brackets, hinges, etc.

I have been to these shows enough to know to refrain from engaging any of the reps.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Only the actual factory reps are worth talking to. I'm sure if you can catch up with Jim Hammill, he'll tell you some interesting lies. It would be funny to hear his take on their latest troubles.

Salesmen are worthless for the most part, as you'll know more about their product than they do.