Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 151
Default Need a new House Battery - suggestions?

1997 Dodge Pleasure Way

So looks like I fried my house battery by leaving it plugged in for days...guess I cooked it. I had the original converter and I didn't realize that would fry my battery.

So I bought a new 3 stage converter and now I need a new battery. I had an Optima Yellow top in there 900 CA, 75 AH and 155 RT. Those batteries are $250+

So, looking for some suggestions. I am not a full time RV dweller and at most I might be without shore power for a week. The rest of the time, I will likely be able to plug in somewhere.

What do you think?

I heard COSTCO maybe has some good deals, but none of them were sealed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3259.jpg (255.2 KB, 10 views)
__________________

saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 246
Default

You want a true "deep cycle" battery, such as a golf cart battery. Steer clear of any battery which lists "CCA" in its spec because it is not a deep cycle battery and will not give optimum service as a house battery. As for brands, there is lots of opinions out there, but Trojan, Interstate are 2 brands which come to mind. So called "combination" batteries (like th Optima, are not a good bet. IMHO

John
__________________

JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

.

Overcharging can kill a battery.

But plugging in for a few days only is not going to harm the battery in a big way.

Have you tried to revive the battery with a smart charger first?

Consumers Too Quick to Replace Batteries, Say CTEK
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
You want a true "deep cycle" battery, such as a golf cart battery. Steer clear of any battery which lists "CCA" in its spec because it is not a deep cycle battery and will not give optimum service as a house battery.
Not necessarily. Concord Lifeline Deep Cycle batteries, arguably the best RV AGM deep cycle battery in the industry, has a CCA rating in addition to its AH rating.

Actually, whether or not it's published or even quantified by the manufacturer, every lead acid battery has a valid CCA rating.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saenzm View Post
1997 Dodge Pleasure Way

So looks like I fried my house battery by leaving it plugged in for days...guess I cooked it. I had the original converter and I didn't realize that would fry my battery.

So I bought a new 3 stage converter and now I need a new battery. I had an Optima Yellow top in there 900 CA, 75 AH and 155 RT. Those batteries are $250+

So, looking for some suggestions. I am not a full time RV dweller and at most I might be without shore power for a week. The rest of the time, I will likely be able to plug in somewhere.

What do you think?

I heard COSTCO maybe has some good deals, but none of them were sealed.
Correct, they aren't sealed units but if the battery is located where it can be occasionally watered, the Costco RV batteries, which are manufactured by Interstate, are a hell of a bang for the buck. You can get them in a size 24 or 27 but if you have the space, I would go for a couple of their 6V golf cart batteries.

Judging from your photo, whatever batteries you choose, make sure that their terminals are threaded with wing nuts so that you can replicate your multiple connections.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,574
Default

The biggest question has to be how much power you use. It is highly unlikely you wouldn't be able to go more than 2-3 days on a single 12 volt battery without recharging it somehow.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #7
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,609
Default

Yes, every battery has a CCA rating.

The point is how the battery is listed and marketed. There are starting batteries, there are dual use batteries, and there are deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating. And if you can find that information, you'll discover that that number is fairly low, due to the way the battery is constructed, at least compared to traditional starting batteries.

Optimas are not deep cycle batteries. Often I see them used in things like bass boats where you want starting, but also run some accessories and trolling motors. They are great for that. For an RV house battery, not so much.

Lifeline is probably the best you can get, but the Trojans and Deka's are not far behind. I've also heard that the Duracell branded battery is pretty good as well and you can find them at places like Costco.
__________________
2019 Winnebago Travato GL
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 881
Default

I'm using a costco interstate- I have almost 2 years on it- so far so good.

36 month 100% replacement, then a sliding scale...as we get to month 35 I'll be doing some hard looking at the condition of the battery.

I have a bottle of distilled water in the garage, and have not yet had to add any to this battery

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Yes, every battery has a CCA rating.

The point is how the battery is listed and marketed. There are starting batteries, there are dual use batteries, and there are deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating. And if you can find that information, you'll discover that that number is fairly low, due to the way the battery is constructed, at least compared to traditional starting batteries.

Optimas are not deep cycle batteries. Often I see them used in things like bass boats where you want starting, but also run some accessories and trolling motors. They are great for that. For an RV house battery, not so much.

Lifeline is probably the best you can get, but the Trojans and Deka's are not far behind. I've also heard that the Duracell branded battery is pretty good as well and you can find them at places like Costco.
You state that "Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating" followed by your description of Lifeline batteries being "probably the best you can get."

However, I'm sitting here with the Lifeline catalog in front of me and every battery they offer, both starting and deep cycle, has a CCA rating for 0, 32 and 68 degrees F in addition to their ampere hour capacity for deep cycle applications.

I have found that Lifeline deep cycles perfectly usable as starting batteries as long as they are sized to account for the 20% (mas o menos) CCA differential between the two series for the same sized container. I have always made a practice of that because I think it is best if the charging source is looking at batteries all within the same family.

I agree that Optimas are not the best choice. Because they spiral wrap their plates, the battery presumably more resistant to sulfate sloughing into the case bottom when discharged, which is why they are touted as the best choice for off road high vibration conditions. I don't buy it and in any event, it's not a condition that is generally applicable to RV operation. Also their marketing is a little flaky. They sell a yellow top as a deep cycle unit and also a blue top as a dual purpose unit but the specs for both are nearly identical.
Finally, although I have no direct experience, I'm told that since Optima is under new ownership, their battery quality has degraded.

It's not easy to know who actually makes house label batteries because it can change from year to year. I understand that Costco is currently using Interstate for their batteries which bodes well for their performance.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I'm using a costco interstate- I have almost 2 years on it- so far so good.

36 month 100% replacement, then a sliding scale...as we get to month 35 I'll be doing some hard looking at the condition of the battery.

I have a bottle of distilled water in the garage, and have not yet had to add any to this battery

mike
And a real plus is that in the event of failure within the warranty period, there are hundreds of Costcos all over the country to get it replaced.
__________________

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.