Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Need input on Class A I'm considering

As some know, I use an RV as my lodgings on projects I do in far-flung places around the country. Normally I use a travel trailer, but am considering trading that out for a Class A. Typically I'm 4-5 days in the trailer, then home for the weekend, then back again the next week, and so on. A project I'm considering would take me to the west coast and I'd not be able to go home for months at a time, so I could use this to travel around that part of the country on weekends and such.

This one in particular has peaked my interest:
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I drove one this last weekend and was surprised by the great road manners and it didn't seem as huge as I had envisioned.

I think it has good bones as a base for electrical upgrades down the road.

What do you think about the placement of the battery bank on this one (@3:02)? Note the exhaust pipe running beneath the battery tray. Would that concern you with lead acids or AGMs? I like that there is room for 2 more batteries.

The inverter is a Magnum 2000. Looks like a bigger model could just be swapped out if desired. That compartment also looks like a great place to mount a large solar controller.

The large compartment under the bed (~5' x 5' x 2') could be a great place to mount a large lithium bank.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The door for the power loft switch doesn't stay open on it's own? All the other cupboards seemed to stay open, that seems suspiciously cheap.

I would be concerned about the exhaust heat if you have lead acid batteries. Could get a lot of off gassing which would require more maintenance.

Looks good and would be fine for living in for your purposes.

I personally don't like how big A's are, but I like what they offer. I like being able to park my B where ever I wish (for the most part) and being very maneuverable.

My question is, why not upgrade at the time of purchase? They might be willing to do it for a lower cost to make the sale, doesn't hurt to ask.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The loft bed is not something I would order, so that small cabinet without a strut is not really a concern.

The kitchen cabinets open up like that, but they have struts to hold them open.

My dealer knows nothing about solar or lithium batteries, so I'd seek that out elsewhere. Most of it I can do myself and save some money.

What I don't really know is "how hot" that compartment could get. It looks like there is a heat shield around the exhaust, and it is open to the outside. Perhaps that battery area could be protected/insulated some way if it isn't already. I'll have to examine it a bit more closely at Hershey.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Have you ruled out a compact C? A View/Fuse/Trend would provide a lot of space for a solo traveler and it might be small enough to drive for work as well.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
Have you ruled out a compact C? A View/Fuse/Trend would provide a lot of space for a solo traveler and it might be small enough to drive for work as well.
Yes I have, and I've ruled that out. For a full time situation, I really want the space. Especially the storage underneath.

I'm also prohibited from driving an RV to a jobsite, nor would I want to.

Most likely I'd tow a Jeep or some such vehicle to drive to work and around town.

Amazingly, this pusher is a terrific value. Brand new and with all the options, it's still about $50k less than an ARV, and still less than a CS Adventurous!

FWIW, I'm still keeping my van with no plans to get rid of it. I have plans for it later.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Glad you are keeping the van otherwise we would miss you on the B forum
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Hey. I hate to break it to you, but that is not a 'B'...

I don't have any good input for you on the rig, as something that large makes my head spin. Way above my pay grade (and my wants and needs too), but looks like it would make an awesome part time home. Wife and I always laugh at big class A's, but at the same time, understand how well it might work well for old full-time retired folks snowbirding to big lots for months at a time... (or even part time working folks doing the same )

Looks like the lap of luxury, and super functional too. The coolest part is you can use your Travato for a Toad! AND, the paint matches!

You are single aren't you? So hard to imagine all that space for one person after being in 'B' mode for so long, but it Looks Beautiful from here...

Good on you, looks like fun!
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Do salmon colored jump suits come standard with that Class A?

I hope you are posting this question in some Class A forums. I can't relate. I would just get a bigger trailer.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:30 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Do salmon colored jump suits come standard with that Class A?

I hope you are posting this question in some Class A forums. I can't relate. I would just get a bigger trailer.
I'm more partial to robin's egg blue. Looks great with white loafers & belt.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Question Need input on Class A I'm considering Reload this Page Reply to Thread

Did you end up buying the Class A ?
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Yes. But a different one. Couldn't justify the expense of the diesel.

Got one like this:
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I got some options not shown. Same exterior coloring, but a lighter fabric & countertops inside.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Nice coach. I'm jealous. Still looking, when time permits, for something similar, but gently used. 30 ' or less. Prefer F53 chassis/Ford V10 combo. Slide count doesn't matter. Don't care for them.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Nice coach. I'm jealous. Still looking, when time permits, for something similar, but gently used. 30 ' or less. Prefer F53 chassis/Ford V10 combo. Slide count doesn't matter. Don't care for them.
Well, with the gas coaches I learned you have to be very cautious. None of them has any compunction about selling a unit that is overloaded an either axle.

You won't find any without slides - they are an expectation by the customers, and having 3 or 4 slides is certainly popular, as are huge, full wall slides. It certainly complicates matters on weight distribution and the complexity of the utilities.

I wanted something fairly simple - with no plumbing or appliances in the slides. I also wanted to keep my length down below 35' so the state & federal park system is still open to me. The model I've selected will have around 4500 lbs CCC and is 34' long.

There are a couple good arguments for buying a new one these days (as opposed to used). First, they just put in the 6 speed transmission in the F53 and changed the engine to the 3 valve starting with the 2016 models (mid model, so you have to watch). This should yield quieter cruising and higher mpg. This is a VERY desirable feature. Second is the price. When you apply the discounts, the prices of these things are very reasonable compared to B Class vans. This one, with all the options, ended up being $128k. From order to delivery will be 8 weeks.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, with the gas coaches I learned you have to be very cautious. None of them has any compunction about selling a unit that is overloaded an either axle.

You won't find any without slides - they are an expectation by the customers, and having 3 or 4 slides is certainly popular, as are huge, full wall slides. It certainly complicates matters on weight distribution and the complexity of the utilities.

I wanted something fairly simple - with no plumbing or appliances in the slides. I also wanted to keep my length down below 35' so the state & federal park system is still open to me. The model I've selected will have around 4500 lbs CCC and is 34' long.

There are a couple good arguments for buying a new one these days (as opposed to used). First, they just put in the 6 speed transmission in the F53 and changed the engine to the 3 valve starting with the 2016 models (mid model, so you have to watch). This should yield quieter cruising and higher mpg. This is a VERY desirable feature. Second is the price. When you apply the discounts, the prices of these things are very reasonable compared to B Class vans. This one, with all the options, ended up being $128k. From order to delivery will be 8 weeks.
I've been looking for a while and there actually are a few models without slides. I will admit I haven't seen many for sale recently, either online or on the lots. Some are older models that I wouldn't be interested in. Tiffin and Thor and Winnebago make limited numbers of zero slide units. The Brave 26A has no slides. I agree, it's not a popular option these days, although it does have some advantages as you suggest. I hate the idea of appliances sitting on the slides as well. Especially the fridge???
Late model shorter Vistas and Sunstars don't have appliances on the slides, afaik. I've been looking for something like that. Short, and lighter weight.

I didn't know that the F53 was now available with the Triton 3 valve/6 speed xmission configuration. Good to know, and would be nice to have. I have an F150 with those amenities. You're right about the gas mileage. It is decent for a truck.

I try to watch for the overload issue when browsing the specs on the used models I've seen online. It finally turned me off to the Axis/Vegas models way back - the E/F350 chassis just seems too lightweight to support that size coach. The CCC for a reasonable amount of people, fluids, and gear just didn't look that good, after really crunching the numbers.

Congrats on your new palace. Looks pretty nice.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:52 AM   #15
Platinum Member

You're right about the Brave - forgot about that one. They are cool, but I didn't consider them as they lacked features I was wanting.

Tiffin doesn't make any no-slide units. Maybe they did years ago, not not any longer.

A couple features that drew me to Tiffin you won't find in any of the others: All the wood finishes you see inside are 100% real hardwood. No laminates or vinyl coated plywoods or particle boards. You don't find that even on a WGO Grand Tour. Their biggest competitor is actually Newmar, but their Canyon Star has the same low-grade woodwork that you see in the Winnebagos - wood cabinet doors and vinyl wrapped particle board boxes. Another thing that you definately want to look for is the Sumo Spring suspension. Tiffin is the only manufacturer that offers these springs as an option. Virtually eliminates sway, pushing and jounce. Lastly, the Tiffins have the longest wheelbases of the gas coaches. None of their models have the severe rear overhangs you see on the other makes.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:04 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Long wheelbase might eliminate tail drag, but it lends itself to belly drag and the resulting teeter/totter effect.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Long wheelbase might eliminate tail drag, but it lends itself to belly drag and the resulting teeter/totter effect.
Maybe in the longer coach lengths (believe it or not you can get a 40' in gas) that can be an issue. But that is not the design reason you see shortwheelbases and enormous rear overhangs - it's about penny pinching. It costs money to put in the bigger chassis and extend the wheelbase.

But like everything, you have compromises - long wheelbase, smoother ride and directional stability, but you could belly rub - short wheelbase, more gittery ride, but tighter turn radius and maneuverability, your belly is high, but you can hit things with your tail and have poor departure angles (driveway drags, etc.)

The trick is to find wheelbase to overall length ratios above 50%. The coach I'm getting is 55%, which is a pretty good ratio. I've seen some on the diesels as high as 58%.

On our class B, these ratios are really high and is another explanation of why they generally handle so well. On my Promaster, it's 63%.