Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #1

Default Need to replace 30 year old converter

Hi all

It is looking like the old converter in my 1990 VanAmara is not putting out 12v. I will do a bunch of troubleshooting tomorrow, but given its age, I think it has probably given up the ghost.

The van is very simple, 3 way fridge, furnace and a smattering of interior lights. No a/c... The current unit is by a company no longer in business, and is a simple all in one unit. The only 110v in the vehicle is actually part of the unit, and it has separate output for the batteries and 12v accessories. It is only a 20 amp unit, as there really isn't much to draw power. I would up the amp's, but 40-50 would be ample.

I have attached a photo of the data plate of the existing unit that shows the details.

I have been hunting, but I am not really seeing anything that is basic, but offers a 110 outlet as well.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180503_221735.jpg (204.7 KB, 14 views)
The Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sticks View Post
Hi all

It is looking like the old converter in my 1990 VanAmara is not putting out 12v. I will do a bunch of troubleshooting tomorrow, but given its age, I think it has probably given up the ghost.

The van is very simple, 3 way fridge, furnace and a smattering of interior lights. No a/c... The current unit is by a company no longer in business, and is a simple all in one unit. The only 110v in the vehicle is actually part of the unit, and it has separate output for the batteries and 12v accessories. It is only a 20 amp unit, as there really isn't much to draw power. I would up the amp's, but 40-50 would be ample.

I have attached a photo of the data plate of the existing unit that shows the details.

I have been hunting, but I am not really seeing anything that is basic, but offers a 110 outlet as well.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Scott
What you have is a vintage converter + battery charger. Typically they have a 12 volt distribution panel with fuses, some 120VAC breakers and a battery charger. I think this manufacturer is out of business.

Even if you could get the unit working, it is pretty much out of date having been replaced by 3 stage smart chargers with charging capacity well above the 5 amps this one provided.

I suggest you record the physical dimensions of the unit, expose the innards as much as practical, take some photos and contact the go-to guy for this category of equipment who is Randy at Best Converter. He may be able to supply a drop in replacement that is cost effective, easy to install and will more than repay itself by significantly lengthening your battery life.

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Platinum Member

If upgrading to a higher output unit then thoroughly inspect the entire run of DC wiring to the battery(ies). You will likely find that the wiring will be undersized for the 40 to 50 amp units you mentioned. 6 ga wire would be rated to handle 50A DC. The wire gauge (size) should be stamped on the wire insulation.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. I did get it back up and running, simply a blown fuse inside the unit. I have sent an email to Best Converter to see what the have.

Thanks again
S
The Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #5

I also have the same manufacturer except mine seems to be 30 amp with the “no charger” designation on the plate.I can’t read the model # clearly. I need to upgrade as well. I put a call out to bestconverters for his advice as well. I’m assuming the wiring will be adequate for the upgrade but we’ll see.
BCLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:33 AM   #6
Platinum Member

BC: I went to bestconverters to upgrade my 1997 vintage Magnetek converter/charger to more current PD technology. Very happy with the company and the conversion. Good people/service. I decided to keep the amp output the same as the Magnetek to avoid any wiring upgrades. Made it very
simple. About 2hrs to install. Good luck.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #7

Only challenge is that the wiring isn't labelled, not a big deal as I’m sure I can figure out what’s what as it it doesn’t have that many trunks. It would be really nice to find a house wiring diagram. And if in doubt I’ll find a tech who can help.
BCLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Good luck on the house diagram. I couldn't get anything from Pleasureway outside of the main lines. But mine was a simple retro and I used the same DC distribution as the original. Qualifier: the PD conversion came with a DC distribution board that provided filtered DC to the various circuits and the originals on mine were clearly labeled on the panel. If your current unit is functioning, you could individually pull the 12v fuses to determine what's on each circuit. Label the wires and note the fuse amperage. That will make connection to the new distribution board easy.

But talk to these guys. They might be familiar with your model and could suggest a replacement that matches the amps, size and the branch circuits you need.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote