Old 05-12-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Default Newbie here with some rudimentary electrical questions

Brand new to the forum, and brand new to the RV world. I bought, 2 days ago, a 2017 Midwest Auto Sprinter (on a 2016 chassis), and I'm furiously trying to read through the manuals (I have most of them, and am downloading the others).

It is equipped with the standard Onan generator, Dometic roof AC unit (it also has the 12v ProAir AC), a Truma CP unit (which I assume is both a water heater and a van interior heater), as well as a Xantrax inverter and a solar controller for the rooftop panels.

The cab has a Master Power switch that turns on the power to the van's systems.

I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions as we go forward, but I'll try to minimize them by researching first.

Let me start with this one:
The generator (LP fueled) starts and runs fine (though I have to have the master power switch ON for it to run). My understanding is that the Xantrax inverter/charger should "see" that the generator is running and presumably supplying 120v AC power and should so indicate by showing me a green light. It does not. And the Dometic rooftop AC gives me an E7 error code, which (I believe) means that it is not seeing the 120v AC from the generator.

It seems like both the inverter and AC unit do not sense that the generator is running. Is this possible?

gks314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

First, the generator has a circuit breaker mounted behind a small access door, you should check this first. Flip it down and back up. Also check all breakers on your AC panel. Next check to see if you get power if you are plugged into a shore power outlet. The generator should have an automatic transfer switch to begin supplying power to the AC breaker panel when it is started up. Do some more testing and check back.

JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gks314 View Post
Brand new to the forum, and brand new to the RV world. I bought, 2 days ago, a 2017 Midwest Auto Sprinter (on a 2016 chassis), and I'm furiously trying to read through the manuals (I have most of them, and am downloading the others).

It is equipped with the standard Onan generator, Dometic roof AC unit (it also has the 12v ProAir AC), a Truma CP unit (which I assume is both a water heater and a van interior heater), as well as a Xantrax inverter and a solar controller for the rooftop panels.

The cab has a Master Power switch that turns on the power to the van's systems.

I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions as we go forward, but I'll try to minimize them by researching first.

Let me start with this one:
The generator (LP fueled) starts and runs fine (though I have to have the master power switch ON for it to run). My understanding is that the Xantrax inverter/charger should "see" that the generator is running and presumably supplying 120v AC power and should so indicate by showing me a green light. It does not. And the Dometic rooftop AC gives me an E7 error code, which (I believe) means that it is not seeing the 120v AC from the generator.

It seems like both the inverter and AC unit do not sense that the generator is running. Is this possible?

Welcome to the forum gks314!

You'll find good advice here, but I also suggest you contact customer service at the Midwest factory.

You have an awesome unit with some great features. You'll really enjoy it once you get these initial issues sorted out. And be patient. I was where you are about 18 months ago. I still learn something new about my rv every week either working on it or from reading advice on this forum.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #4

Default Will do

and thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

Welcome to the forum gks314!

You'll find good advice here, but I also suggest you contact customer service at the Midwest factory.

You have an awesome unit with some great features. You'll really enjoy it once you get these initial issues sorted out. And be patient. I was where you are about 18 months ago. I still learn something new about my rv every week either working on it or from reading advice on this forum.

Good luck.
Thanks so much. I've been lurking for several months while we searched for the right rig so I know this is a great community.
Thank for the words of encouragement and I'll call Midwest tomorrow
Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

"Newbie here with some rudimentary electrical questions"

Me too. With a prehistoric B (05/04 Roadtrek), when plugging into shore power is the 12V stuff (lights, fan.......) running off the converter along with the charger? Could the batteries be removed if permanently connected to shore power?
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Most probably not Bud because you'd have a Tripp Lite inverter/charger in an '04 or '05. The '04 I owned had one.

If the the rig has a converter/charger then some of those work without batteries. The converter/charger functions like a DC power supply. The PD charger in my van continues to supply DC if plugged into the grid and I disconnect the batteries.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Most probably not Bud because you'd have a Tripp Lite inverter/charger in an '04 or '05. The '04 I owned had one.

If the the rig has a converter/charger then some of those work without batteries. The converter/charger functions like a DC power supply. The PD charger in my van continues to supply DC if plugged into the grid and I disconnect the batteries.
I do have the separate converter and charger. It is not known why this 05/04 does not have the inverter/charger. One explanation was Roadtrek ran out of the Tripp Lite, so they just used what they had before more Tripp Lite's were received. This has been discussed, not a specific thread about it. You might recall now.

Thanks markopolo.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Yes, I remember that now.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
First, the generator has a circuit breaker mounted behind a small access door, you should check this first. Flip it down and back up. Also check all breakers on your AC panel. Next check to see if you get power if you are plugged into a shore power outlet. The generator should have an automatic transfer switch to begin supplying power to the AC breaker panel when it is started up. Do some more testing and check back.
It was the generator circuit breaker. I couldn't very easily fit under there, (NOW I remember why we had kids) but my 14yo could fit on my creeper and slide under there easily. He removed the access panel, found the breaker switch, and reset it.
After that, the genny runs the dometic rooftop ac, perfectly.

And now we do get shore power, and the inverter/charger sees it (both from the home circuit and the generator) and passes it along to the batteries.

Thank you so much for your help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.