Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #1

Default Newbie questions

Hello all, I’m a new owner of a 2016 Mercedes Winnebago 170x and I need some advice please. When driving what is the best way to power the fridge? When parked overnight on the house battery, how do you charge a cellphone, or power a computer? I apologize for the elementary questions as there is a steep learning curve with this Motorhome, at least for me. Thank you!
dajlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Hi, Congratulations on your sprinter 170X. I have a 2014 ERA 70A. I am not sure about your converter but I am not able to charge a cell phone or computer off the house batteries. I charge those when plugged into shore power. I've learned not to run the refrigerator on propane while driving. My experience is it shortens the life of the regulator. I now run it off battery when driving. FWIW
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:07 AM   #3
Site Team

In this day and age, all RVs should have USB sockets powered from the 12VDC system. Just install a few of these here and there:

You can plug your phone directly into the USB sockets. For your computer, buy a 12V car adaptor for your particular laptop and plug it into the other socket.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Sometimes those USB outlets have a constant power draw. It is a small draw but it could eventually drain your battery. If going that route then use one that has an on/off switch.

The coach might already have a 12V accessory outlet powered from the house battery. They are often located near where the TV plugs in. You could use a 12v to USB plug there.

portable usb and 12v accessory.jpg

Folks have been adding inverters to RV's for decades now. An inverter converts 12V DC from to 110V AC. You choose the capacity (wattage output) of the inverter to meet or exceed the expected use. The nice thing about adding an inverter to your rig is that you get to choose the type, features and brand.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I use this one, practically negligible standby current draw - 1mA. Amazon has a reasonable price.
Attached Images
File Type: png usb.png (229.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg GR020666.JPG (234.6 KB, 9 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Just another thought, the TV might have USB port that could charge a device. I've used the USB port on the TV to power a Raspberry Pi computer. The TV I used did have to be powered on though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote