Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtogo View Post
Cruising,

That's one of the problems for me right now is the remote compatible on the replacement inverter. That is where RT would come in if they where still around. The three dealers I called could not answer that question. As one said we usually get our input on equipment and install guidance through RT tech support.

Will check out the connection terminal.

1. The inverter is still charging the batteries.

2.Would have to find the best charging rate to set the inverter properly.

3. I do not think the Microgreen has a temp sensor. I see some of the inverters that I looked at have that option for battery heat sensing.

Steve

What connection do you have between the inverter charger and the remote? Many of the others use a standard cat5 cable and connector so their remote and inverter/charger would hook right up. I did that with our 07 Roadtrek to replace the Tripplite. With either a Magnum (highly recommended) or other major brand, you will want their remote and probably their monitor kit for the remote as it makes for a very nice, super accurate, system for both charging and inverting.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 PM   #32
Bronze Member

I have telephone type jack for the remote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190307_104251_001.jpg (199.0 KB, 12 views)

goodtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
It looks like a Telco RJ11 port which will accept a 4 or 6 conductor flat Telco cable. It looks like the cable in photo is 6 conductor which is often used to defend against physical abuse (stretching, bending etc) even though only four conductors are active.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:

I just looked at the Magnum ARC 50 remote and it says it is a 6P4C connector which may be what you have now. It would 6 position 4 conductor.

As long as you have 4w wires, you could probably just change connector if needed.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:04 AM   #35
Silver Member

I am getting ready to replace the inverter on my Agile. It too is one of the 3k off brands that no longer charges and also has a magical path from shore to inverter. As far as I can tell the shore power has no breaker between external power connection and inverter. There is a 30 amp main breaker in the circuit box fed by inverter.

Does anyone know if there is a hidden breaker somewhere or is it really hot to the inverter where it uses the inverter's breaker for protection? Just in case that is all there is to the connection, I picked up a small double pole and small box from blue sea for protection to the new inverter ..oh yes its the 3012!!
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:16 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
I am getting ready to replace the inverter on my Agile. It too is one of the 3k off brands that no longer charges and also has a magical path from shore to inverter. As far as I can tell the shore power has no breaker between external power connection and inverter. There is a 30 amp main breaker in the circuit box fed by inverter.

Does anyone know if there is a hidden breaker somewhere or is it really hot to the inverter where it uses the inverter's breaker for protection? Just in case that is all there is to the connection, I picked up a small double pole and small box from blue sea for protection to the new inverter ..oh yes its the 3012!!

I can't speak for your model, but it is quite common not to have a breaker in the shore power to inverter line, as it is protected by the breaker on the shore power outlet.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
.......................... Looking at the Magnum MSH3012...................................

I had to decide which inverter/charger to buy a year and a half ago. I looked at most brands including Aims, Kisae, Xantrex, Tripp lite, Samlex, Magnum, Outback etc.

I quickly excluded a lot of them because of a lack of custom programming or other missing feature or inadequate specs and narrowed it down to Samlex EVO series (2yr warranty), Magnum (3yr warranty) or Outback (some with 5yr warranty). I chose the least expensive of the three with the output wattage I wanted, a Samlex EVO-3012 and it does what I need in a Class A motorhome.

The Magnum MSH3012 you mentioned would be a really nice upgrade. It is a hybrid inverter meaning that it can combine an AC power source and battery power source to power a load. If you have a small quiet generator or lower amperage AC plug in at home for example you could still power a large load like the RV air conditioner. You'd be able to power the large load much longer than on batteries alone. That feature could be really nice if overnighting at a friend or relatives house and needing to run the air conditioner overnight for example.

The Magnum remote has a surface mount option which would help if flush mounting is not possible in your coach.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Marko's top three were essentially the same brands as I got down to when we did our last upgrade a few years ago. I think all are good units.

I eliminated the Outback early only because it was larger and would have required using a different area to put it in.

It then got down to a requirement that I have that most people don't worry about in that I want the charger to control the charging to full based on amps measured at the batteries by a shunt. This is the only way I know of that can accurately tell when the batteries are fully charged without overcharging them. Most chargers use algorithms to control charging and some measure amps but do it internally so loads on in the van will mess up the accuracy of charging. This requirement knocked the the Samlex out for me. We went with a Magnum MS2000, ARC50 remote, and BMK kit.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #39
Platinum Member

The Magnum + ARC50 remote + BMK kit is an awesome way to get precise charging control. On a B van with lead acid batteries and a compressor fridge I don't know if there's a better way to do it. I doubt there is.

The minimum level of inverter/charger function that I'd want with lithium batteries would be the ability to set the exact voltage you want and also be able to set a voltage transition based on current flow.

With a 400Ah lithium bank I'd probably charge at 13.6V with up to 100A current and transition to 13.5V when the current flow has dropped to 20A or less. That's just my current opinion on this and other folks here will likely have different opinions on charging LFP batteries. I think that will get the LFP bank to 95% and maintain it there while plugged in. I'd probably experiment with transitioning to 13.4V also and observe current flow. If 13.4V gets the bank to at least 90% SOC then that might be good enough.

It would be good to hear other members ideas on charging LFP banks.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
The Magnum + ARC50 remote + BMK kit is an awesome way to get precise charging control. On a B van with lead acid batteries and a compressor fridge I don't know if there's a better way to do it. I doubt there is.
…………………..
This is the same inverter/charger with ARC50/BMK and with 2 x 115Ah AGMs which I have (1000W). Works great except one failure on the Vero Beach private campground on the recent trip to Florida.

I plugged the power cable to the campsite's tower, the blue indicator on the cable plug went on, turned the AC Main double CB on – green LED went on indicating polarity OK, turned the Inverter/Charger CB on and the red polarity LED came on and 2 green LEDs started to flash – no power on board.

It works fine everywhere else. Don’t understand why but it seems as it was a local issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR62370.JPG (319.6 KB, 9 views)

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote