Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #1

Default No house power on battery in 97 Roadtrek

I just recently started having a problem with no house power when using the house battery. Everything work fine when connected to shore power or using the generator.

There is a battery disconnect switch that is on when connected to shore or generator power. the minute either is disconnected, there is no house power from the battery, I pulled the house battery, had it checked and it has a 95% charge. All fuses and breakers have been check and are okay.

we are leaving for an 11 day trip Thursday and having house power from the battery is pretty crucial. Any ideas what might be going on?

1997 Roadtrek 190p on a Dodge chassis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Disconnect.jpg (233.0 KB, 4 views)
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

What happens when you try to connect the battery using the battery switch on the panel?

It is possible that the battery disconnect relay is stuck or bad. Try cycling the switch back and forth several times to see what happens. This can sometimes free a stuck relay.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:42 PM   #3

Greg,

I rocked the switch back and forth several times but still no luck. Each rock causes a click on the charger/converter but no house power.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi Steve, I have a 97 roadtrek also, so I will try my best to help you, if you are sure your battery , and all your fuses and relays are fine, then I would start by tracing the wires , starting at the battery and then work forward, are the battery connections clean and on tight,, check to make sure your ground wire is properly grounded to the vehicle, I have that before where the ground was the problem, if that all works out , in the top of the bathroom area, there are a few screws that you can remove the panel that hides all your wires going into the back of your control panel, find the large red wire that will be your main power source for the control panel, use a 12v tester light to make sure you have power coming into that wire, also, check your ground wire at this point also, it is possible that something with your converter is off or blown, check on the rear of the converter, there are some relays and fuses there also,,, lift off the cushions and unscrew the wood cover, you will see lots of connections there also,, I hope I was able to help you , if you have any questions,, let me know,,,thanks,,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:55 AM   #5

Default Problem solved

Thanks for all of the tips. Problem has been solved. Turns out it was a faulty Battery Disconnect Solenoid. bought the last one the RV center had, installed it and now have house lights again. Learning more and more about our RV.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Just glad you were able to fix it before your trip,,,take care,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote