Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Onan 2800 fuel pump

Hi
I have a 1997 RT. Dodge 3500.
I have the factory Onan 2800 generator.
I think the fuel pump is not working?
New fuel filter, runs with starter fluid applied.
No fuel comes from fuel line ?
Any idea where to get a replacement?
And what the part number is?
Thank you
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

I have the same problem. Waiting to get it checked by an authorized local generator repairman. (I suspect is air in the line because the fuel line went bad and was leaking gas. But, I also have the owner's manual so I can give you the part number. I'm just not sure what part you need. Is it the fuel pump? Also, if you have a cell phone, I can text you pictures of the pages from the owner's manual.
Katherine
kat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

Default Airtex fuel pump

I just replaced mine with the Airtex pump p/n E11014 from Amazon.
soutram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Aircraft Spruce, Facet fuel pump, IIRC #4105

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...facetpumps.php
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:45 AM   #5
Gold Member

Different RT and may be different Onan (mine is a 2800 though), but I went thru this and documented my resolution. Exact part numbers can be found on the web or by calling Cummins.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan Generator Pump Repl_Relocate Project_v2.pdf (479.0 KB, 82 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraygunz View Post
Hi
I have a 1997 RT. Dodge 3500.
I have the factory Onan 2800 generator.
I think the fuel pump is not working?
New fuel filter, runs with starter fluid applied.
No fuel comes from fuel line ?
Any idea where to get a replacement?
And what the part number is?
Thank you
Eddie
Before you drop the generator and buy a new fuel pump, disconnect the fuel line from the tank and connect a temporary line from a gas can and try start the generator. My 1999 RT 2800 Microlite would not start, no fuel coming out of line when disconnected from the carburetor. I was going to replace the fuel pump, but when I tried it using a 2 gallon gas can it ran for more than an hour with the A/C running. I'm now going to replace the original fuel line from the tank. The original fuel line is hard as a rock.
Ed
Old 07-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #7

Hello, first post here and I'm going to necro this old thread as it deals with my issue. I've got a 2016 Winnebago Trend 23L which uses the Cummins Onan QG 2800 genset and I'm having issues with it. We've tried cleaning the carb, running concentrated Seafoam/gas mixture through it, soaking it and now thinking the fuel pump may be the issue. Problem is that the factory A047N921 fuel pump is listed as discontinued. As is the Airtex pump listed below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutram View Post
I just replaced mine with the Airtex pump p/n E11014 from Amazon.
This this Aircraft Spruce number isn't at that link. @Deano did you mean 40105?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano
Aircraft Spruce, Facet fuel pump, IIRC #4105

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...facetpumps.php
The odd thing is that the new, fuel injected, QG 2800i lists the same fuel pump in it's parts list. Anyone have a good source or replacement part?

Thanks
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:32 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

I certainly commiserate with your generator problems having had a host of my own that, once solved, only reappear in another form.

It would help to know what your generator is doing. Is it hard to start, does it stop, does it stall under load?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I certainly commiserate with your generator problems having had a host of my own that, once solved, only reappear in another form.

It would help to know what your generator is doing. Is it hard to start, does it stop, does it stall under load?
So the generator starts, runs for 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. I took the RV to an Onan certified generator service center and they said I need a new carburetor but the cost of that is over $650 for just the part. Been trying to find a knock off on eBay or Amazon but all of them seem to be for different models. Also can't find the fuel pump in stock and looking for an alternate...FIL has been working on it and thinks it may be starved for fuel.

Other info is I purchased the RV this spring and the PO had only owned the unit for a couple months before putting it into storage. He said that before going into winter storage the genset worked and he had exercised it once a month (so 2-3 times). The genset only has 28 hours on it and while I don't foresee needing it much...I do want it next weekend so that we can run the AC while boondocking.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Ok, of my many problems, your symptoms are not one that I had.

However, did they check the low oil switch for proper operation?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Ok, of my many problems, your symptoms are not one that I had.

However, did they check the low oil switch for proper operation?
Hmm...I'm not sure. I know they checked the oil level and changed the plug. Honestly I'm $400 in at this point and not taking it back to them. That's like half way to a Champion or Predator inverter generator. Got the new Onan fuel pump part number...and it's $90.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The fuel pump is $20-$30 on Amazon.

You need the correct pump. It would help to remove the old one to match it by picture but the numbers provided above are a good start. Different Onan generators require different pumps. Due to fittings they are not interchangeable.

The carburetor is available online for around $35. Not cost effective to buy from Onan. The voltage regulator is about the same price from Onan or Flight Systems. ($300)

This is a picture of the pump you need. Note the T fitting at the top is parallel to the mounting bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Cummins-.../dp/B07NF9MCBW. It is available for less cost.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:52 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I paid $69 for a carb from Amazon which is an exact replacement. also replaced the fuel pump from Amazon for $17. installed a new spark plug and changed the oil all for under
$100. My time for replacement/installation was just over an hour.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:35 AM   #14
Platinum Member

This this Aircraft Spruce number isn't at that link. @Deano did you mean 40105?

Yes, It matches the OE pump.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:14 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Lotsa posts on going external with the fuel pump to make it easier next time it fails. Search for Onan external fuel pump . I used the Airtex 1107 already mentioned, and 10 hours later, still doing fine. Cheers
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #16

Thank you everyone for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The fuel pump is $20-$30 on Amazon.

You need the correct pump. It would help to remove the old one to match it by picture but the numbers provided above are a good start. Different Onan generators require different pumps. Due to fittings they are not interchangeable.

The carburetor is available online for around $35. Not cost effective to buy from Onan. The voltage regulator is about the same price from Onan or Flight Systems. ($300)

This is a picture of the pump you need. Note the T fitting at the top is parallel to the mounting bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Cummins-.../dp/B07NF9MCBW. It is available for less cost.
I'm not seeing the pump for my QG 2800 listed in those part numbers which is what's confusing me. Seems like there are a bunch of different Onan 2800 generators with different fuel pumps and carbs.

Here's the label on my fuel pump and the generator model itself. So am I just looking for one of these low pressure pumps with the right fittings?

I've also not seen any of the carbs that matches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image000000.jpg (149.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image000002.jpg (239.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Pump numbers mentioned are for a KV, not a QG. I would take a picture of the entire pump, including the fittings, and match it, by picture, to what is available.

Someone else mentioned the pump for the KV was identical to the QG but I don’t know that.

I have not tried to source a QG pump. All pumps I purchased from Onan failed quickly so I don’t do that anymore.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Pump numbers mentioned are for a KV, not a QG. I would take a picture of the entire pump, including the fittings, and match it, by picture, to what is available.

Someone else mentioned the pump for the KV was identical to the QG but I don’t know that.

I have not tried to source a QG pump. All pumps I purchased from Onan failed quickly so I don’t do that anymore.
Right...the pumps listed do not match my pump as mine has a fitting on one end that slides into the 1/4" gas line that feeds the compressor (held on by hose clamp). My concern is that there are 12v and 24v pumps, no actual definition of what low pressure is and several different flow rates. Of course I'm finding it impossible to find specifications on the original pump to make an attempt to cross reference. Man this thing looks rough. Found a part on eBay that's dirt cheap and lists the specs...hoping they match the OEM pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image000000 2.jpg (159.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg image000001.jpg (203.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg s-l1600.jpeg (108.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Looks like that will do it. Pressure is correct, voltage correct.

Mounting bracket different. That pump appears to be for a 4kw Onan KY generator. Should work.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #20
Gold Member

Try setting up a gravity fuel supply with an elevated gas can and a syphon hose. That will confirm or eliminate the fuel pump as the problem