Old 03-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
BBQ
Platinum Member

AGM have a normal life of about 5 yrs.

With proper maintenance, they can last longer, much longer.
I have seen people have them for 7 yrs and longer.

You should use a multi-stage charger for lead-acid batteries, whether they are the flooded type or AGM type. You do not want to boil your battery when it is full.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

One thing is that there are very few chargers that take good care of lead acid batteries be they wet or AGM. The claim to be "smart" but with very few exceptions will over or undercharge the batteries depending on their algorithms and battery bank size. The only ones I know of that can consistently be accurate in charging use a shunt based charge cycle that ends the absorption stage based on amps the batteries are taking, so always just right. The are many more solar chargers that do the charging this way than shore chargers. The process can also be done manually with a charger that allows manual overriding of the charging stages, like a Progressive Dynamics with the pendant, used with in conjunction with a good battery monitor that runs off a shunt.

Most batteries don't die a natural death, but are basically killed, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #13

I just bought new lifeline gpl-4ct batteries for $278 each. I believe that I have read on the lifeline site that their agm batteries can be equalized to extend the life of their deep cycle agms.

We have good luck with lifeline agms in our boat.
XLent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Lifelines can be equalized to their specified procedure. The recommend only doing it when the capacity of the battery has started to deteriorate. They have been adding more detailed best practices information to their charging profiles and charge amps and volts specs. One of the ones that is interesting to a lot of us is that the say to use at least .2C amps (20 amps per 100ah of capacity) on discharges deeper than 50% SOC. When I talked to them about it they said, up to .4C is even better, but most can't supply that much charging amps.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:40 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I use Fullriver – two 12V/115Ah, since 2014 and still running strong. DC Series Batteries. I believe they will run for many, many years to come being scared by Li, every camping night I let them know that their end is coming, they plea - we will run from -25 to 125 SOC but please no Li.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote